GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 X167 GLS Coolant & 48v warning light are on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gls x167
Exclamation 2020 X167 GLS Coolant & 48v warning light are on

Hi guys, I own a 2020 x167 GLS450 for a while, and in the past year, I faced 2 identical failures during my drive.
The 1st accident happened last autumn, I was driving on a country road, a nice pavement road, and suddenly, the 48v warning light was on (YELLOW) and then the Coolant Too Hot warning light (RED) was on, and the car lost its power. 1 minute later, the 48v warning light (RED) was on. I parked on the side of the road, turned the engine off, I checked the coolant level and temperature, and both were pretty normal. Then I checked the 48v status through the car and it remained 79% of power. Since nothing looked wrong, after waiting 5 minutes, I turned it on, the check engine light (YELLOW) was still on, but the power was back, and the car just drove like normal. So I drove it to my office, and interestingly the check engine light was off in the evening. I took the car to Mercedes dealer and they didn't find anything wrong either. They told me they updated the 48v software and it seemed like could resolve the issue.

And I faced 2nd accident today and it was similar to the 1st one. I was driving on i95 and the 48 warning light was on (YELLOW) and several seconds left the Coolant Too Hot warning light (RED) was on again, and also it lost power. Based on the previous experience, I parked the car and checked everything was good, nothing abnormal. I turned it off and turned it on again, and the power was back and the car behaved like normal. Since this accident just happened, the check engine light (YELLOW) was still on, but I think it might disappear in tomorrow.

These 2 failures are too identical, I think they have the same root cause, and Mercedes didn't fix it in the last time. I checked the Coolant level, Coolant temperature, 48v power level, 12v power level, and nothing wrong among them, I guess this issue might caused by a loose contact? but I am not sure, and I haven't gone to Mercedes workshop yet. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

PS: I was trying to find some common usage before I faced those 2 failures. The 1st one happened on a foggy day, and I drove it on a wet non pavement road a day before. And the 2nd one just happened after I went to an automatic car wash. Maybe water causes this error? But interestingly, the car works great during rainy days or snow days... And it makes me really confused....

Last edited by breezyrabbit; 02-09-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,584 Likes on 1,166 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I wonder if your 48v coolant pump is intermittent.
Or maybe the turbo cooler.

Good job at describing the surrounding events. Maybe pics for the Service Department.
Good luck with this.
The following users liked this post:
breezyrabbit (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 05:12 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
My car had a 48v recall last Dec. I heard they updated the software on the 48v. Then the exact thing that happened to you also happened twice to me, and I was also driving on i95, and my dealership did the same thing and found nothing...
Old 02-10-2024, 07:27 PM

gls x167
Originally Posted by mikapen
I wonder if your 48v coolant pump is intermittent.
Or maybe the turbo cooler.

Good job at describing the surrounding events. Maybe pics for the Service Department.
Good luck with this.
Thanks for your suggestion! I will let the service department know, and hopefully they could find the real issue.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:31 PM

gls x167
Originally Posted by ILoveNY
My car had a 48v recall last Dec. I heard they updated the software on the 48v. Then the exact thing that happened to you also happened twice to me, and I was also driving on i95, and my dealership did the same thing and found nothing...
that is too bad for a car like this... So far my car is under warranty, but I am afraid if this issue goes crazy after the warranty, and the price to fix if I need to pay for it... If Mercedes cannot find the root cause and this issue is replicable during this year, I would consider trading this car for other brands....