Used 2020 GLS opinions/tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Used 2020 GLS opinions/tips

Hello fellow GLS owners.

Here's the deal, I've looked low and high for a replacement of my 2018 glc and settled on a GLS. Have 3 kids, needed captain seats and preferred to stick with Benz.

Here's what I'm thinking
2020 CPO GLS 450, 70k miles, white on black, no major added options, 43k asking.

I've asked for 44k out the door.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone have any tips on extended warranty? Can I get from different dealership later? They asking 4k right now.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 GLS 450
We have a 2020 GLS450 with 29K miles. So far it's been a good car, no major issues. We replaced the seat cover as it was cracking. No mechanical issues. It is very heavy on the technology, which concerns me for glitches and things breaking, but so far it's been ok. We've gotten some error messages that went away on their own here and there. I think $43k is probably a good price for that car, you'd probably know the market more if you've been looking. How long are you planning on keeping it? Doesn't CPO come with some sort of extended warranty? If you plan on keeping it for 5 years or less, maybe pass on the warranty and roll the dice. Ours will be out of warranty pretty soon as well. If you're going to keep it for many more years, then maybe $4k is worth it. We have 2 kids (with car seats) and the captain chairs, I find the GLS a bit on the small side with the car seats, strollers etc. Maybe you won't have that issue. Or get a roof rack/box
Old 02-25-2024, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Ours is a 2020 and approaching 70k as well. 21' staggered wheels that likes to eat rear tires every 25k miles, and the MBTex seat cover replacement for cracking (finally finished last week), otherwise has been pretty darn flawless and we really like it. Will hopefully see 200k miles. We aren't even close to needing new brake pads yet. As solid today as the day I picked it up with 11 miles on the clock. We don't have laser cruise control stuff on ours. We do have rear heated seats, rear window shades, roof spoiler, heated/cooled fronts and whatever else comes with that package. Second row can control their own HVAC as well. We're rear bench after coming from rear captains of a Toyota Highlander. We have two kids though, so rarely use the third row.

It's wonderful on a roadtrip! The first 50k miles of ours were put on in the first 18 months mostly up/down I-95 between DC and NC...a lot. Wonderful highway cruiser for sure. But the rest are heavy stop/go school runs and Costco torture visits of doom. Will also say that it's the first car I've ever owned where "eco" mode is actually the preferred driving mode for us. The 48v, turbo and supercharger all make it work in Eco mode very very well, very smooth, no feeling of being under powered at all. I'm not a huge fan of these transmissions in general, but Eco seems to smooth them out and not so shift-happy all the time.

We hardly use start/stop. I always turn it off by default. But will say that when it has been on, it's been the smoothest example of that technology that I have ever experienced personally. Hardly noticeable, however does get confused sometimes if you're in stop/go where you stop for a split second and then go again. Will act all funky and sends an uncomfortable grumble through the drive system, like both the engine and the hybrid are fighting. Rare, but has happened in those situations.

I will say that many MB dealerships seem to want to offer us around $35k for ours on trade for a new one. Obviously a total rip off quote to see who watches and who doesn't, as I am sure there are plenty out there with a GLS that really don't live in budget land at all. We're not one of those types. But keep that in mind as you're negotiating. They're pushing hard to low-ball on trade values for GLS's like the one you're looking at.

Honestly, after searching for months for a replacement to my aging 10 year old W212 sedan, other than the full blown S class, the GLS is really the only other Mercedes I would personally buy now. I did not replace my W212 with another Mercedes as I did not want two GLS's and I'm not the type to spend $125k on a sedan (or any car to be honest, just too much for my mind to accept).

Unless the warranty covers the 48v battery itself, I'd just have it inspected by a solid Indi to verify condition and not waste the money. CPO should had another 12 months and unlimited mileage to the bumper-bumper. You have time to decide, and you can certainly find a good deal on websites like this far better than at the time of purchase of the car at the dealership. But in my experience, I've yet to ever see where the thousands spent for an extended warranty actually came to benefit me before. I've had numerous repairs on my past W212, none of which would have been covered by the warranty anyways. But entirely personal preference!! We don't have one on our GLS, and won't buy one either. My warranty is a good Indi to take of it for us, and not the dealership itself.

Also...at that mileage, as a condition of your offer to purchase, I would require that all fluids and filters from tip/tail be replaced, including the spark plugs which should have been done at 60k I believe. I would not buy it with the same/original fluids in the car from new. Transfer, diff, transmission, coolant, brake, plugs...have them get them all as part of the deal. You'll save thousands that way. Basically reset the car back to new in terms of fluids/lube.

The transmission service requires a new pan in general, as the filter is now part of the pan itself. It's an expensive service of at least $700 at the cheapest. There is no "drain/fill". It's pull and replace the pan type of service.

Last edited by nc211; 02-25-2024 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 GLS 450
Glad to see folks here getting into the higher miles with no issues... Agree with the ECO mode comments, and the odd confusion in the stop/go. I kind of tap on the gas to get the car back "on" before I hit the accelerator in these instances. Minor annoyance I guess. We really do enjoy the ride. On the highway I set "individual" mode where it's set for eco mode drivetrain and sport suspension to make the ride left lofty on the highway. Personal preference.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:18 PM

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts
GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
Most 2020/21 GLSs in the market are the off-lease ones with 30-36k miles allowance (I turned in my 2020 with 33k on it). It's a lovely car but if it were me, I would look for one with closer to 30-40k miles. Many will claim it was all highway cruising but no way to prove it.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 647 Likes on 402 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by rayzam
Most 2020/21 GLSs in the market are the off-lease ones with 30-36k miles allowance (I turned in my 2020 with 33k on it). It's a lovely car but if it were me, I would look for one with closer to 30-40k miles. Many will claim it was all highway cruising but no way to prove it.
One way to check is to look at the brake pads. If they look to be the originals and still have about 30% of the meat left, then you can probably assume less braking and more cruising. Ours is that way right now at 66k miles, with about 50% meat left, because we ran the first 50k 90% on I-95 with cruise control. Our pads are likely to see 80k, which is pretty rare for a vehicle this heavy.

If you're willing to spend more, then absolutely go for one with less mileage. But me personally, and again just my own opinion, if you find one that appears to be well maintained with records, I would have no problem myself buying one in the 70k mileage range. The inline 6 is a marvel. Only questionable aspect in my opinion is the mild-hybrid system, but think that's applies to all of them regardless of mileage. If you find one at our mileage that has no history of issues with the battery and hybrid system (and don't get me wrong OP, it's not a wide-spread issue here), then I think you're pretty safe at this point to go the distance. OP is a MB person, he/she knows the drill and the occasional whack to the bank account.

We have no squeaks, creaks, looseness, and/or any issues whatsoever with the suspension, mounts, bushings, etc in the suspension. Quietly raises/lowers without a problem. No rattles in the cabin, not a drop of anything leaking, idles smooth as glass and rolls down the road in silence and smooth as butter. Not even brake fade or warping. Just...lots of tires...
Old 02-25-2024, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 616 Likes on 455 Posts
MB
I feel like a lot of folks are worried about the 48v battery but from what others have said, it's an estimated $3k job: $1700 for battery and rest labor. That's almost the cost of new staggered tires. It's not ideal but it's not going to break the bank either.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:15 AM

2020 GLS
Same here just got a 2020 GLS. Mine was cpo 12k mileages well equipped otd 63k. Bought out of state and sent to local service day one back home for high pitch whistle noise at high way speed. Was told it came from side mirror housing, a common issue discussed on the forum.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:27 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
After being spoiled by the 2015 S550 that I have had since April 2019 and wanted a similar experience in my SUV (I owned or leased five Acura MDXs since 2004). I followed the X167 forum for about a year and, in November 2022, purchased a CPO 2020 GLS 450. I also added the additional two years of Extended Warranty. I have enjoyed the GLS so much that I am likely to sell the S550 very soon.

I have had only minor issues with the vehicle that were corrected with software update, and a part for the heated/cooled cupholder. However, last week I renewed the Mercedes me connect subscription, and my profile was deleted. Called customer service and they were of no help. Vehicle is at the dealer now, but I expect I will have to redo all the settings.

The tip I would give is in regard to the two year extended warranty for CPO vehicles. For thirty days after your CPO purchase, you can purchase the warranty from any dealer. I would check with Jeff in Kentucky to confirm this and get his price.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:10 PM

2020 GLS
Originally Posted by TNS550
After being spoiled by the 2015 S550 that I have had since April 2019 and wanted a similar experience in my SUV (I owned or leased five Acura MDXs since 2004). I followed the X167 forum for about a year and, in November 2022, purchased a CPO 2020 GLS 450. I also added the additional two years of Extended Warranty. I have enjoyed the GLS so much that I am likely to sell the S550 very soon.

I have had only minor issues with the vehicle that were corrected with software update, and a part for the heated/cooled cupholder. However, last week I renewed the Mercedes me connect subscription, and my profile was deleted. Called customer service and they were of no help. Vehicle is at the dealer now, but I expect I will have to redo all the settings.

The tip I would give is in regard to the two year extended warranty for CPO vehicles. For thirty days after your CPO purchase, you can purchase the warranty from any dealer. I would check with Jeff in Kentucky to confirm this and get his price.
Thanks for the tip

Last edited by Zack Zhang; 02-26-2024 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 02-27-2024, 09:28 AM

GLS 450
Bought my CPO 2020 back in August 2023. Had 39,980 on the odometer. Dealer ended up doing the 40K service on it, including particle filer, dust filter, brake fluid, wiper blades.
They also did new rear brake pads (fronts were 9mm), two Isofix covers, rear plate bracket and LF wheel bolt. Recall work on AC drain hoses. Michelin Cross Climates were all 7. I opted for the 2 year extended for total of 39 months coverage. First MB. I only drive 6-7k miles a year so will have this one for awhile. No issues or concerns so far.