GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Hey Mercedes and Voice Control commands don't work with streaming music services

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 550
Hey Mercedes and Voice Control commands don't work with streaming music services

I have a 2024 GLS 63 AMG and this capability has worked fine for 3 months, but stopped working maybe a week ago.

I can use voice control and Hey Mercedes for all features like massage, Navigation, etc but I can't select or change Music. Commands like "Hey Mercedes play we will rock you" does not work on Spotify or Apple Music.

My music services and my hotspot services both work because i can surf the net from the hotspot and I can search for music on the screen and play it with no problems.

I've done troubleshooting steps including uninstalling re installing app, uninstall/reinstall my profile. I spent 1.5 hours on with Mercedes Me and the app tech support and got nowhere. I got tech support to escalate.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
3 months makes me think maybe there was a trial subscription that ended? Don't know exactly what this feature needs.
The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (04-16-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 08:46 PM

ML 550
Voice control

Originally Posted by darlop
3 months makes me think maybe there was a trial subscription that ended? Don't know exactly what this feature needs.
My Spotify and apple work fine. My hotspot was paid outright for a year. The car is new so the services are included.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:50 PM

ML 550
Problem Solved

I finally figured out that for some reason the allowed structure of the voice commands changed. You now have to do this:
1) play Apple Music/Spotify/Sirius
2) Play "Artist name" or "Play Song by Artist Name"

I think it only lets you pick songs in your library. I don't think it will search any song in the directory any more. To search, it has to be done by typing it in.
Splaktar (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 637 Likes on 473 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by drog3210
I finally figured out that for some reason the allowed structure of the voice commands changed. You now have to do this:
1) play Apple Music/Spotify/Sirius
2) Play "Artist name" or "Play Song by Artist Name"

I think it only lets you pick songs in your library. I don't think it will search any song in the directory any more. To search, it has to be done by typing it in.
Just curious why you're not using Carplay or Android Auto to play your tunes so you can ask Siri or Google instead of Mercedes? They are much better than the Mercedes assistant for music requests IMO.
Splaktar (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:27 AM

ML 550
Why not Siri?

Originally Posted by wildta
Just curious why you're not using Carplay or Android Auto to play your tunes so you can ask Siri or Google instead of Mercedes? They are much better than the Mercedes assistant for music requests IMO.
I don't use CarPlay in Benz because I bought a $160k+ 2024 vehicle and I use CarPlay in the receiver that I bought from Best Buy for my 2005 4Runner. I also have the upgraded Burneister and I want to use music natively in the car through car WiFi versus a wireless phone connection.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:36 AM

Received 187 Likes on 150 Posts
'23 GLS450
I don't use CarPlay in Benz because I bought a $160k+ 2024 vehicle and I use CarPlay in the receiver that I bought from Best Buy for my 2005 4Runner. I also have the upgraded Burneister and I want to use music natively in the car through car WiFi versus a wireless phone connection.
2 points:

1) Paying a lot of money for a car doesn't mean you get a great car. It just means you got something more exclusive!
2) Wireless CP is high bandwidth. Bluetooth is only used in the beginning for the initial handshake and then it transfers completely to WiFi. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit the graphics, GPS maps, etc. to maintain wireless CP!
BMW and others have been doing this for a while (it only just came for the first time for the GLS in MY24 cars). Your CP receiver from Best Buy will never perform as seamless as the OEM one (i.e. Mercedes).
Splaktar (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:52 AM

ML 550
Personal preference

Originally Posted by EWL5
2 points:

1) Paying a lot of money for a car doesn't mean you get a great car. It just means you got something more exclusive!
2) Wireless CP is high bandwidth. Bluetooth is only used in the beginning for the initial handshake and then it transfers completely to WiFi. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to transmit the graphics, GPS maps, etc. to maintain wireless CP!
BMW and others have been doing this for a while (it only just came for the first time for the GLS in MY24 cars). Your CP receiver from Best Buy will never perform as seamless as the OEM one (i.e. Mercedes).
Regardless, it's personal preference. Another example is I use the native navigation in my 2016 911 versus google maps, which is better. There's a better aesthetic with the things built into the car.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:56 AM

ML 550
One more reason

I don't want to use my phones battery for music.

yes, I know I can plug in my phone (to charge for music) but I want the convenience of not plugging it in and the charging pad doesn't work.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:04 AM

'23 GLS450
I don't want to use my phones battery for music.

yes, I know I can plug in my phone (to charge for music) but I want the convenience of not plugging it in and the charging pad doesn't work.
That may just be your perception. All the wireless charging pads I've used do nothing more than maintain the charge the phone already has while being used.
If you start out w/50% iPhone charge and take a 2 hour trip (using CP the entire time), you will still have that 50% charge when the trip is over. Mercedes is certainly not the only make where the wireless pad acts like this as earlier pads were accused of overheating phones!

I have a MY23 GLS that still has the wired CP and while it does increase iPhone charge over time, I'd gladly trade wired for wireless for the convenience (even if all the pad does is maintain charge). The current wireless charging pad in my car is useless because why would I ever unplug my iPhone just to lose CP?!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by EWL5:
Splaktar (05-09-2024), wildta (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 08:06 AM

'23 GLS450
Regardless, it's personal preference. Another example is I use the native navigation in my 2016 911 versus google maps, which is better. There's a better aesthetic with the things built into the car.
So you have been paying for map updates?

I prefer Waze on CP for the road hazard and police notifications...
Old 05-08-2024, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
FYI, the 2024s have the ability to stream Dolby music using wireless CarPlay. It's worth trying even though it's not the native user interface, you'll at least have a better voice assistant and save you the cost of the monthly data connection fee. You can still use the native navigation while only using CP for music. Of course if you have your heart set on using the OEM system, please disregard this suggestion.

Last edited by wildta; 05-08-2024 at 08:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
EWL5 (05-08-2024), Splaktar (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I have a MY23 GLS that still has the wired CP and while it does increase iPhone charge over time, I'd gladly trade wired for wireless for the convenience (even if all the pad does is maintain charge).
You should try one of the many wireless dongle available. Plenty of them on Amazon if you search for "wireless carplay adapter USB C" on Amazon. I use one for my AA and it's great for short drives under 30min, otherwise I plug in for road trips.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:53 AM

'23 GLS450
You should try one of the many wireless dongle available. Plenty of them on Amazon if you search for "wireless carplay adapter USB C" on Amazon. I use one for my AA and it's great for short drives under 30min, otherwise I plug in for road trips.
I've considered the dongles but not a fan of third party devices, especially if the WiFi may be sketchy compared to OEM solutions!
Old 05-08-2024, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I've considered the dongles but not a fan of third party devices, especially if the WiFi may be sketchy compared to OEM solutions!
I know Motorola makes one, a more trusted brand. Not sure how well it works though.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildta:
EWL5 (05-08-2024), Splaktar (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS
You can do a soft reset by pressing and holding the volume/mute button for about 10 seconds. Keep holding it until the screen shuts off and then restarts.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:40 AM

ML 550
Map updates

Yes - I paid for the map updates in my 911 and they didn't work. I was personally responsible for Porsche US to issue a nation-wide recall on their most recent update and the update has not been re-released.

So you have been paying for map updates?

I prefer Waze on CP for the road hazard and police notifications...
Old 06-21-2024, 11:44 AM

ML 550
Charging pad

No, the charging pad literally doesn't work at all. It just cycles to connect, disconnect, reconnect, disconnect. I don't even try to use it any more. I don't use my phone for anything when it's on the wireless charger. I paid for 4G in my car so I use Benz built in 4G and Benz built in Apple Music and Spotify app.

That may just be your perception. All the wireless charging pads I've used do nothing more than maintain the charge the phone already has while being used.
If you start out w/50% iPhone charge and take a 2 hour trip (using CP the entire time), you will still have that 50% charge when the trip is over. Mercedes is certainly not the only make where the wireless pad acts like this as earlier pads were accused of overheating phones!

I have a MY23 GLS that still has the wired CP and while it does increase iPhone charge over time, I'd gladly trade wired for wireless for the convenience (even if all the pad does is maintain charge). The current wireless charging pad in my car is useless because why would I ever unplug my iPhone just to lose CP?!!!
Old 06-21-2024, 01:15 PM

'23 GLS450
Yes - I paid for the map updates in my 911 and they didn't work. I was personally responsible for Porsche US to issue a nation-wide recall on their most recent update and the update has not been re-released.
Can't say I'm surprised. I think most car makes expect you to use smartphone navigation so they can ease up on support of built-in navigation!
Old 06-21-2024, 01:19 PM

'23 GLS450
No, the charging pad literally doesn't work at all. It just cycles to connect, disconnect, reconnect, disconnect. I don't even try to use it any more. I don't use my phone for anything when it's on the wireless charger. I paid for 4G in my car so I use Benz built in 4G and Benz built in Apple Music and Spotify app.
Shouldn't you take up the lack of charging w/your dealer (any liquid spills to this area)?
Assuming you positioned the phone correctly, most of what you're talking about is covered under warranty.
Old 06-21-2024, 02:14 PM

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Shouldn't you take up the lack of charging w/your dealer (any liquid spills to this area)?
Assuming you positioned the phone correctly, most of what you're talking about is covered under warranty.
I haven't spent enough time on the charging pad, but, from my limited observation, it charges for a few minutes and overheats the phone, then stops charging until the phone cools down and then does the same thing again. I feel like I have read about this behavior elsewhere in this forum, too. I blamed my old phone, originally, but it sounds like there may be an issue with the charger. Lack of ventilation???
Old 06-21-2024, 02:45 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by AKSwift
I haven't spent enough time on the charging pad, but, from my limited observation, it charges for a few minutes and overheats the phone, then stops charging until the phone cools down and then does the same thing again. I feel like I have read about this behavior elsewhere in this forum, too. I blamed my old phone, originally, but it sounds like there may be an issue with the charger. Lack of ventilation???
Updates to phone OS and/or OTA updates to the GLS should have resolved most issues w/charging, no?
There were initial growing pains for iPhones w/Magsafe capability but I think that is largely a thing of the past!

Take everything I'm saying w/a grain of salt since I have MY23 GLS and keep the phone connected for CP (no wireless CP). Wonder if the charger is any different b/w MY23 and MY24?

Last edited by EWL5; 06-21-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB

Take everything I'm saying w/a grain of salt since I have MY23 GLS and keep the phone connected for CP (no wireless CP). Wonder if the charger is any different b/w MY23 and MY24?
At one point, they did make the charger ventilated. My MY20 GLE isn't ventilated but I saw a GLE53 MY24 that was ventilated. It didn't appear like it would make much of a difference with the ventilation.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:38 PM

'23 GLS450
At one point, they did make the charger ventilated. My MY20 GLE isn't ventilated but I saw a GLE53 MY24 that was ventilated. It didn't appear like it would make much of a difference with the ventilation.
I've seen ventilated phone cases but not ventilated wireless chargers! That would make no sense since the phone still traps the heat by being on top of it!
Old 06-21-2024, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I've seen ventilated phone cases but not ventilated wireless chargers! That would make no sense since the phone still traps the heat by being on top of it!
There's an active fan underneath it to "cool" the phone. Porsche also has cooling on their wireless charger.

I don't think they make a tremendous difference but I can't say for certain since I've never tried either one. I just know my neighbor's Cayenne has one.

Last edited by wildta; 06-21-2024 at 05:34 PM.
EWL5 (06-21-2024)