We pay for Remote Start?!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 640 Likes on 475 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by DesertGolfer
I canceled Mercedes Me because the terms and conditions are highly invasive of my personal privacy. Mercedes Benz collects information reflecting your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitude, and any other inferences drawn from your personal information and can sell it to third party marketers, such as auto insurance companies. That includes navigation data, driving habits, internet searches, biometric data, car data, sensory data and app usage. I decided that the services provided by Mercedes Me are not worth the loss of privacy and the subscription expenses. You pay M-B for the services and they are free to further monetize your personal information with third parties. Each to their own, but it is worth understanding the fine print before accepting the terms and conditions.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/pr...%20much%20data.
There's an opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information form here.
The following 3 users liked this post by wildta:
EWL5 (05-31-2024), jkaetz (05-31-2024), Splaktar (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 08:12 AM

Received 194 Likes on 157 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by SW20S
If it makes you feel better Lexus does the same thing. Doesn't bother me...I find value in the Mercedes Me functions so I pay for them, if you don't find value in them don't pay for them. On my Chrysler the remote start is built into the fob but you have to pay for the app. I like the app, so I pay for the app. No big deal.

I see little value in having the remote start on the fob, but on the app where I can start it from within a building etc, that I like.

Not sure why this means Mercedes isn't making luxury cars. Luxury costs money.
Yeah, but Lexus probably told you up front what was happening (i.e. didn't stick "Remote Start" under Standard Features in the Order Guide). I think many of you are missing the point: my frustration is not the business model for the remote start, it's the deception that it was included in the purchase price of my nearly $100k car!

Luxury costs money, but it's also supposed to come w/perks. When I fly first class, I probably get my own pod, and or set of dedicated attendants. If I fly business, it might get downgraded to champagne and a section partitioned by a curtain. Either way, these are expected perks that come w/paying more.

The X7 comes w/remote start and acoustic glass standard (matches expectations of the top SUV). When it comes to the remote start, Mercedes is no better than average and some would argue worse than average (not quite as bad as losing remote start functionality despite having the button on the keyfob w/o sub). So what should Mercedes motto be? "Definitely not the worst"?
Old 05-31-2024, 08:17 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by ACC2
This really pissed me off, but it's not the worst. I tried to use the monthly subscription for remote start over the winter when I use it. Unfortunately the app inexplicably has the monthly option grayed out leaving only the annual subscription. 4 calls to Mercedes later and hours wasted and they have no idea why and no means to figure it out, even when talking to app support. Thanks MB! I spent a 100k and my kids ride to school in frozen car seats.
I went to the site by clicking through the email notification on a desktop computer and I was given both the monthly and annual payment option. Have you tried not going through the app?

Last edited by EWL5; 05-31-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,713 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by DesertGolfer
I canceled Mercedes Me because the terms and conditions are highly invasive of my personal privacy. Mercedes Benz collects information reflecting your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitude, and any other inferences drawn from your personal information and can sell it to third party marketers, such as auto insurance companies. That includes navigation data, driving habits, internet searches, biometric data, car data, sensory data and app usage. I decided that the services provided by Mercedes Me are not worth the loss of privacy and the subscription expenses. You pay M-B for the services and they are free to further monetize your personal information with third parties. Each to their own, but it is worth understanding the fine print before accepting the terms and conditions.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/pr...%20much%20data.
Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Originally Posted by EWL5
Yeah, but Lexus probably told you up front what was happening (i.e. didn't stick "Remote Start" under Standard Features in the Order Guide). I think many of you are missing the point: my frustration is not the business model for the remote start, it's the deception that it was included in the purchase price of my nearly $100k car!

Luxury costs money, but it's also supposed to come w/perks. When I fly first class, I probably get my own pod, and or set of dedicated attendants. If I fly business, it might get downgraded to champagne and a section partitioned by a curtain. Either way, these are expected perks that come w/paying more.

The X7 comes w/remote start and acoustic glass standard (matches expectations of the top SUV). When it comes to the remote start, Mercedes is no better than average and some would argue worse than average (not quite as bad as losing remote start functionality despite having the button on the keyfob w/o sub). So what should Mercedes motto be? "Definitely not the worst"?
I just don't perceive this the same way you do. I honestly don't remember how Lexus or MB positioned it...I want the features so I just pay for the app. Focus your energy on things that mean more than a $20 subscription to an app. I spend more than $20 on lunch...I pay $18 a month to not have advertisements on YouTube. Its firmly in the realm of "who cares"

If the X7 is a better package for you, why didn't you buy that? . I find Mercedes far better than average but if you prefer BMW, get that. BTW BMW is the one who was spear-heading the whole "charge people for heated seats" nonsense, so they are not innocent lol. X7 is a great vehicle, but I prefer the looks inside and out of the GLS, and the GLS is bigger so thats the way I would go. Subscribing to an app for remote start is not even in the ballpark of what would be a deciding factor for me on a $115k+ vehicle.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-31-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:40 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by SW20S
I just don't perceive this the same way you do. I honestly don't remember how Lexus or MB positioned it...I want the features so I just pay for the app. Focus your energy on things that mean more than a $20 subscription to an app. I spend more than $20 on lunch...I pay $18 a month to not have advertisements on YouTube. Its firmly in the realm of "who cares"

If the X7 is a better package for you, why didn't you buy that? . I find Mercedes far better than average but if you prefer BMW, get that. BTW BMW is the one who was spear-heading the whole "charge people for heated seats" nonsense, so they are not innocent lol. X7 is a great vehicle, but I prefer the looks inside and out of the GLS, and the GLS is bigger so thats the way I would go. Subscribing to an app for remote start is not even in the ballpark of what would be a deciding factor for me on a $115k+ vehicle.
You don't have to remember how Mercedes positioned it because I spelled out via the pic from the Order Guide in the first post!

The GLS was a grudge purchase since my wife is a badge seeker but I'm a more discerning customer. I'm guess I'm not part of Mercedes' core demographic since I believe in "Truth in Advertising"!
Old 05-31-2024, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@EWL5 Does "discerning" also mean petty? Or just lazy.

If you read the rest of the info in the description, you'll see disclaimers addressing your concerns. They are everywhere.

Make your case to the FTC. I personally don't think you have a case.

Do you argue with your phone company, electric, trash, and internet providers? They also have the similar disclaimers.

But no forums for venting and ranting, alas. 😥

Just read the material.
Old 05-31-2024, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
It really is quite the First World problem. There's been several threads like this one where posters got specifically worked up about Remote Start. Such a non-issue, IMHO. If you live in a cold climate, you better get used to the cold or move. Oh the horror of feeling cold for the first few minutes getting into the car. Before anybody says anything, I grew up in cold climates and lived in Chicago for a while w/o Remote Start. What happened to garages anyway? Toughen up those kids for the curveballs life will throw at them later instead of cuddling them in a toasty seat every morning. That's how you end up with generations of kids that can't cope with basic live anymore and pop Xanax for their anxieties.
Old 05-31-2024, 12:56 PM

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Originally Posted by superswiss
It really is quite the First World problem. There's been several threads like this one where posters got specifically worked up about Remote Start. Such a non-issue, IMHO. If you live in a cold climate, you better get used to the cold or move. Oh the horror of feeling cold for the first few minutes getting into the car. Before anybody says anything, I grew up in cold climates and lived in Chicago for a while w/o Remote Start. What happened to garages anyway? Toughen up those kids for the curveballs life will throw at them later instead of cuddling them in a toasty seat every morning. That's how you end up with generations of kids that can't cope with basic live anymore and pop Xanax for their anxieties.
This thread isn't about the lack of remote start. It's about listing remote start as a standard feature but placing it behind a subscription wall when most manufacturers implement it from the key fob.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jkaetz
This thread isn't about the lack of remote start. It's about listing remote start as a standard feature but placing it behind a subscription wall when most manufacturers implement it from the key fob.
I know. Same difference for me.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:09 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by mikapen
@EWL5 Does "discerning" also mean petty? Or just lazy.

If you read the rest of the info in the description, you'll see disclaimers addressing your concerns. They are everywhere.

Make your case to the FTC. I personally don't think you have a case.

Do you argue with your phone company, electric, trash, and internet providers? They also have the similar disclaimers.

But no forums for venting and ranting, alas. 😥

Just read the material.
That's all well and good but Mercedes should really remove it from the Order Guide as "Standard". Based on how tired folks on this forum are from having to deal w/this issue "yet again", it would only make sense to prevent further confusion!
Old 05-31-2024, 01:11 PM

'23 GLS450
I lived in the Bay area for 3 months. Wear a light jacket in the morning, take it off for lunch, and put it back on for the evening! I agree YOU don't need remote start!

Often in the middle of summer, when the family returns to the car from a trip to an amusement park, beach, or what have you, the Mercedes app actually reports cabin temperature as 120°F (not sure how accurate this is)! I for sure want remote start to get that cabin temp down!
Old 05-31-2024, 01:22 PM

'23 GLS450
When I grew up as a kid, there was a program called "RIF" in school (Reading Is Fundamental).
Kinda strange how at least 2 folks took my thread and created their own narrative!
Old 05-31-2024, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Often in the middle of summer, when the family returns to the car from a trip to an amusement park, beach, or what have you, the Mercedes app actually reports cabin temperature as 120°F (not sure how accurate this is)! I for sure want remote start to get that cabin temp down!
Same happens here, especially since my car is black on black. You can bake a cake in there. However, what I do is use the convenience open feature, which lowers the windows, opens the sunroof and turns on the seat ventilation. Most of the heat escapes and the seat ventilation is much more effective at cooling the leather than running the AC.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
I lived in the Bay area for 3 months. Wear a light jacket in the morning, take it off for lunch, and put it back on for the evening! I agree YOU don't need remote start!

What you need is to open your windows. Not start your car.
2 minutes of open windows is worth 15 minutes of running the air conditioner. No subscription required.

Help us out here. My Mercedes me app doesn't show inside car temperatures. How do you get yours to do that?
superswiss (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:37 PM

Same happens here, especially since my car is black on black. You can bake a cake in there. However, what I do is use the convenience open feature, which lowers the windows, opens the sunroof and turns on the seat ventilation. Most of the heat escapes and the seat ventilation is much more effective at cooling the leather than running the AC.
While a valid alternative, you're still trying to minimize the OPs concern by offering an alternative to the OP's stated use case which isn't directly the subject of discussion.

Your proposed solution also begs the question, why did MB implement the open/ventilate feature but not remote start on the key fob? I suspect the answer is $$$.
EWL5 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
While a valid alternative, you're still trying to minimize the OPs concern by offering an alternative to the OP's stated use case which isn't directly the subject of discussion.

Your proposed solution also begs the question, why did MB implement the open/ventilate feature but not remote start on the key fob? I suspect the answer is $$$.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-31-2024 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:41 PM

'23 GLS450
What you need is to open your windows. Not start your car.
2 minutes of open windows is worth 15 minutes of running the air conditioner. No subscription required.

Help us out here. My Mercedes me app doesn't show inside car temperatures. How do you get yours to do that?
You have never seen this?

Old 05-31-2024, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe it was safety and security concerns. The same reason Mercedes resisted touch screens for so long.
We may wish they used a different strategy, but they didn't.

80% of the owner's manual is disclaimers. Ordering guides are also full of them. Those little footnote numbers? They refer to disclaimers and cautions.
superswiss (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 01:57 PM

I believe it was safety and security concerns. The same reason Mercedes resisted touch screens for so long.
We may wish they used a different strategy, but they didn't.
I always get skeptical when entities try to use this phrase to justify a money making decision.

80% of the owner's manual is disclaimers.
I do at least find these humorous most of the time. It's clear the manual was written by lawyers rather than engineers.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
At the end of the day it comes down to doing one's due diligence and make sure the car you are buying has the features you desire and they work the way you desire. The dealer order guides are not even meant for customers. They are meant for dealers. They are not called customer order guides for a reason. I'm not trying to downplay anything.

Maybe I don't see all this as an issue, because I did my homework before buying the car and it was clear to me before I even ordered the car which features require a subscription and that the subscription was complementary for the first 3 years. I know they reduced the complementary subscription to 1 year now, so I can see how that could get some people worked up. With the prior 3 year complimentary subscription it basically meant that if you leased, all those features were indeed standard for the term of a typical lease or for the many people who get a new car about every 3 years.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:16 PM

'23 GLS450
At the end of the day it comes down to doing one's due diligence and make sure the car you are buying has the features you desire and they work the way you desire. The dealer order guides are not even meant for customers. They are meant for dealers. They are not called customer order guides for a reason. I'm not trying to downplay anything.

Maybe I don't see all this as an issue, because I did my homework before buying the car and it was clear to me before I even ordered the car which features require a subscription and that the subscription was complementary for the first 3 years. I know they reduced the complementary subscription to 1 year now, so I can see how that could get some people worked up. With the prior 3 year complimentary subscription it basically meant that if you leased, all those features were indeed standard for the term of a typical lease or for the many people who get a new car about every 3 years.
I get that the OGs are not meant for the general public but are we somehow explaining why the SAs sometimes get facts wrong?
Old 05-31-2024, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
You don't have to remember how Mercedes positioned it because I spelled out via the pic from the Order Guide in the first post!

The GLS was a grudge purchase since my wife is a badge seeker but I'm a more discerning customer. I'm guess I'm not part of Mercedes' core demographic since I believe in "Truth in Advertising"!
I think your "grudge" against Mercedes is showing here. You didn't understand how it works, but I and others understood.

Then pay the $20 for the app. I don't understand why this is worthy of all this energy...I wish I had the time or energy to be so upset about something like that...
superswiss (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I get that the OGs are not meant for the general public but are we somehow explaining why the SAs sometimes get facts wrong?
I don't think so. I make no excuses for sales people who don't really know the products they are selling.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:46 PM

'23 GLS450
Thank you for all your responses! I've been in many auto forums where "boosters", employees, and former-employees of the respective car make are just as dismissive as what I've experienced here! Instead of customers helping each other, I get mostly "its your fault" or "read the fine print"! It's almost like being at a car dealership again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: We pay for Remote Start?!!!