GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

We pay for Remote Start?!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 06:25 PM

Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts
'23 GLS450
We pay for Remote Start?!!!

So time is nearly up on my Mercedes Me initial trial. I stand to lose, among other things, remote engine start.
Anyone else pissed that "remote start" is listed under Standard Equipment in the Order Guide and yet we have to pay for it as a subscription?!!!

I've checked Order Guides from MY20 to MY25 and the pic below is fairly deceptive!

The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 452 Posts
MB
I personally don't see anything wrong with it except that I wish the subscription fee was a passthrough cost instead of another lucrative revenue stream, unless they put it straight back into R&D, or they go back to the a la carte method of paying.

Other items listed as standard equipment but we all know a subscription is required:
  • Sirius XM
  • Hermes Cellular Communication Module

Last edited by wildta; 05-30-2024 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,542 Posts
2019 C63CS
Your mobile phone has a cellular radio standard, but you must pay a monthly service fee to use it. Remote Start functionality is standard, but the data connection and the operating costs of the servers to use the feature need to be paid for on an ongoing basis. It's not a one time cost. BTW, you also need a smartphone to use Remote Start along with data service from your carrier. That's not included in the price of the car, either.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-30-2024 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by wildta
I wish the subscription fee was a passthrough cost instead of another lucrative revenue stream
Mercedes is not a non-profit charity. Why would they sell something with 0% margin? Guessing you don't own a business yourself.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by superswiss
Mercedes is not a non-profit charity. Why would they sell something with 0% margin? Guessing you don't own a business yourself.
Yes of course it's a business opportunity. Just wishful thinking out loud, whenever a subscription fee topic comes up I start to think about all the subscriptions I currently have that all add up, anyway you can disregard the comment. Just silly wishful thinking of a perfectly competitive economic market.

Last edited by wildta; 05-30-2024 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 682 Likes on 505 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I lived without Remote start forever.
Then early 2000's manufacturers put it on the key FOB - ok that is cool but why do I need it?
To start cooling or heating my car before I get in?
Is that not a waste of Gas or diesel or Battery power which then is against all this global warming issue?
Dangerous, easier to steal car? something else to break or prevent car from starting normally?

yeah its cool, but I have not had a car with it nor do I care if I have it a I doubt I would use it.
Daughter in-law has it and tries to explain how great it is... I just tell her park in a garage and shut the door and no need.

But if you did park in garage and crank it up while not being there - could that not be dangerous?
Carbon monoxide comes to mind leaking into house or room above garage...

I dunno If I had to pay a subscription for it - I would pass - but I am a cheap-old-*******.

I am sick of this Nickle and Dime and tip for everything world we now live in.

IF they make you pay subscription for remote start that is on a key FOB that would suck worse.

off my soap box
Old 05-30-2024, 07:48 AM

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
IMO they should have the subscription based "standard" features broken out/identified very clearly in sales material as they're useless and add no value if you don't pay for the subscription. Remote start is also unique as most manufacturers implement it from the key fob and not though a subscription app so I will agree with the OP on the deceptiveness of claiming it's "standard" while requiring a subscription.

Personally I find very little value in Mercedes Me. It allows us to remote lock/unlock, remote start, and a bunch of status things. IMO the list of things it won't do but would add value:
  • Keep the engine and climate control running when doors are opened during remote start
  • Control the climate control settings during remote start
  • Control the heated/cooled seats during remote start
  • Control the sunroof and windows, it screams about them being open, but doesn't allow you to close them.
  • Control the trunk (Yes you can unlock and then someone can open the trunk but there's no reason it couldn't be controlled directly.)
  • Allow a paired and unlocked phone to act as a key fob
  • Pull strait into or out of a parking spot (Likely needs DAP and the 360 cameras as well to make this safe)
  • View the cameras remotely
  • View DTC codes and Mercedes descriptions that go with them
  • View real time telemetry and engine data

Last edited by jkaetz; 05-30-2024 at 08:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jkaetz:
EWL5 (05-30-2024), MBArizona (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 07:59 AM

'23 GLS450
I understand remote start is a subscription model NOW but it is quite deceptive to include it under "Standard Features", especially when it wasn't always this way (my prior Mercedes was a MY16 GL450).
If you look at the main competitor X7, remote start is truly standard and has been this way since at least MY22 (possibly earlier):
https://www.bmwofcolumbia.com/bmw-x7-safety-technology/

My X3 has remote start because it was a permanent paid option. The issue is I don't even have that as a permanent option (keyfob enabled) on the GLS, Mercedes' top SUV no less!
Maybe Millennials and Gen Z are used to this but I for one think it's quite tacky for German luxury. Don't even get me started on their "unlocking more hosrepower" subscription model for their EVs!
Old 05-30-2024, 08:08 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by wildta
I personally don't see anything wrong with it except that I wish the subscription fee was a passthrough cost instead of another lucrative revenue stream, unless they put it straight back into R&D, or they go back to the a la carte method of paying.

Other items listed as standard equipment but we all know a subscription is required:
  • Sirius XM
  • Hermes Cellular Communication Module
Your mobile phone has a cellular radio standard, but you must pay a monthly service fee to use it. Remote Start functionality is standard, but the data connection and the operating costs of the servers to use the feature need to be paid for on an ongoing basis. It's not a one time cost. BTW, you also need a smartphone to use Remote Start along with data service from your carrier. That's not included in the price of the car, either.
Apple Carplay and Android Auto don't have a disclaimer that says "requires an appropriate smartphone and cellular service". Why? Because this is understood and has been since they've been in cars!
Not the same for "remote start". It hasn't always been a feature of an app but rather a physical button on the keyfob as I mentioned before. To make the switch and not mention this "minor" change to a subscription model in the Order Guide for new customers and owners w/older Mercedes is a bit egregious, no?

For folks cross-shopping an X7 and GLS, they'd think the remote start feature is equitable when clearly it's not!

Last edited by EWL5; 05-30-2024 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:32 AM

'23 GLS450
Bringing the point home, here's a list of my expiring services:

Remote Vehicle Finder
Theft Notification and Parking Damage Detection
Car-to-X Communication
Valet Protect
Parking for Navigation
Weather forecast
Online Map Update
Personalization
Vehicle Locator
Geofencing
Vehicle Tracker
Weather map
Remote Engine Start
Local Search
Live Traffic Information
Remote Door Lock & Unlock

Mercedes was a bit sneaky mixing a permanent feature "MB Navigation" w/future subs "Live Traffic" and "Map Updates" in the Order Guide.
Aside from that, clearly "Remote Engine Start" should not be in the Order Guide under Standard Features if nothing else above in my expiring service list is!
Old 05-30-2024, 08:40 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by jkaetz
  • Allow a paired and unlocked phone to act as a key fob
  • View the cameras remotely
I have the paid "Digital Key" option on my X3 and can make my iPhone or my Apple Watch a key. It comes in handy on occasion, especially when switching cars out of the house and you didn't bring the other key!

I can also "spy" on the surroundings near my X3 using the app since I have the surround cameras. Helps you remember where you parked or see if the situation has changed around you since you parked.
The following 2 users liked this post by EWL5:
jkaetz (05-30-2024), MBArizona (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,588 Likes on 1,168 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by EWL5
Apple Carplay and Android Auto don't have a disclaimer that says "requires an appropriate smartphone and cellular service". Why? Because this is understood and has been since they've been in cars!
Not the same for "remote start". It hasn't always been a feature of an app but rather a physical button on the keyfob as I mentioned before. To make the switch and not mention this "minor" change to a subscription model in the Order Guide for new customers and owners w/older Mercedes is a bit egregious, no?

For folks cross-shopping an X7 and GLS, they'd think the remote start feature is equitable when clearly it's not!
Sneaky.

What's more, there is even an EPA fuel economy rating without the disclaimer that you have to put fuel in it to run the car.😧
What's wrong with Mercedes these days. Misleading people about needing gasoline.....
The salesman never said it needed gasoline to go places either. I am really pissed. 😡
I've even heard that they charge for the gasoline they put in the car if you run out on the highway and call Mercedes for Roadside assistance.
All this without a disclaimer. My world is ending.💀

BTW NAV works without live traffic.
superswiss (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 12:56 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by mikapen
Sneaky.

What's more, there is even an EPA fuel economy rating without the disclaimer that you have to put fuel in it to run the car.😧
What's wrong with Mercedes these days. Misleading people about needing gasoline.....
The salesman never said it needed gasoline to go places either. I am really pissed. 😡
I've even heard that they charge for the gasoline they put in the car if you run out on the highway and call Mercedes for Roadside assistance.
All this without a disclaimer. My world is ending.💀

BTW NAV works without live traffic.
Very funny!

When Mercedes is interested in making luxury cars again, let me know!
Old 05-30-2024, 01:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
GLS450
This really pissed me off, but it's not the worst. I tried to use the monthly subscription for remote start over the winter when I use it. Unfortunately the app inexplicably has the monthly option grayed out leaving only the annual subscription. 4 calls to Mercedes later and hours wasted and they have no idea why and no means to figure it out, even when talking to app support. Thanks MB! I spent a 100k and my kids ride to school in frozen car seats.

EWL5 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 05:51 PM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
It's interesting what the different manufacturers offer. The MDXs I had, as well as the 2022 Honda Ridgeline truck I recently purchased, have remote start on the key fob. Plus, the Ridgeline also has a compartment for my sunglasses!
EWL5 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 06:00 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by TNS550
It's interesting what the different manufacturers offer. The MDXs I had, as well as the 2022 Honda Ridgeline truck I recently purchased, have remote start on the key fob. Plus, the Ridgeline also has a compartment for my sunglasses!
At least w/BMW and Acura, you can have remote start be part of the keyfob functionality. No such luck on Mercedes!
I wouldn't put it past Mercedes to charge (via monthly subscription) for heated seats/steering wheel, A/C, and third row folding/unfolding in the not too far future!

Last edited by EWL5; 05-30-2024 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
At least w/BMW and Acura, you can have remote start be part of the keyfob functionality. No such luck on Mercedes!
I wouldn't put it past Mercedes to charge (via monthly subscription) for heated seats/steering wheel, A/C, and third row folding/unfolding in the not too far future!
BMW already tried charging a monthly subscription fee for heated seats but ended up dropping it due to the unsurprising backlash. Let's be clear. All car manufacturers are exploring alternative revenue streams. Audi charges a subscription fee for their matrix headlights and other things for example. The only upside to this is that it lets used car buyers add additional options that the original buyer didn't purchase.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/7/23...crotransaction
Old 05-30-2024, 06:33 PM

'23 GLS450
BMW already tried charging a monthly subscription fee for heated seats but ended up dropping it due to the unsurprising backlash. Let's be clear. All car manufacturers are exploring alternative revenue streams. Audi charges a subscription fee for their matrix headlights and other things for example. The only upside to this is that it lets used car buyers add additional options that the original buyer didn't purchase.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/7/23...crotransaction
So nobody sees the downside of the first owner paying for hardware they will never use?!!!
ACC2 (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
So nobody sees the downside of the first owner paying for hardware they will never use?!!!
Who said the first owner pays for the hardware? They don't pay for the hardware, reducing the initial purchase price, and instead the manufacturer banks on recouping the cost of installing the hardware via future subscriptions. This actually lowers the production costs, because the manufacturer doesn't have to account for different hardware configurations. Instead they build all the cars the same and then unlock features based on what the buyer decides to subscribe to.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:41 PM

'23 GLS450
Who said the first owner pays for the hardware? They don't pay for the hardware, reducing the initial purchase price, and instead the manufacturer banks on recouping the cost of installing the hardware via future subscriptions. This actually lowers the production costs, because the manufacturer doesn't have to account for different hardware configurations. Instead they build all the cars the same and then unlock features based on what the buyer decides to subscribe to.
With the way car prices increase every year, you could've fooled me that the average consumer is benefitting!
This is not the sell video game consoles at a loss and make it back in the video game software business model. Believe me when I say these cars don't sell at a loss!
Old 05-30-2024, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
With the way car prices increase every year, you could've fooled me that the average consumer is benefitting!
This is not the sell video game consoles at a loss and make it back in the video game software business model. Believe me when I say these cars don't sell at a loss!
Not yet it is. Polestar is the only manufacturer so far who is trying the subscription model, although I haven't checked recently how that is going or if they've abandoned the model. Today's cars are still being sold on the premise that you option them the way you want and pay for all the options, and then there are a few subscription based connected car features that you can subscribe to. There's a good chance that especially with EVs personal car ownership is going away and is getting replaced with subscription models. So instead of buying a car, you pay a monthly subscription and get to change into a new car once a year or something like that.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-30-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2024, 06:48 PM

'23 GLS450
Not yet it is. Polestar is the only manufacturer so far who is trying the subscription model, although I haven't checked recently how that is going or if they've abandoned the model. Today's cars are still being sold on the premise that you option them the way you want and pay for all the options, and then there are a few subscription based connected car features that you can subscribe to.
Honestly, the only mainstream cars selling at a loss these days are EVs and only because no one wants them! The high insurance gets old real fast after more people find out that cars are declared total losses from what many would consider minor accidents for an ICE car!
Old 05-30-2024, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,677 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
If it makes you feel better Lexus does the same thing. Doesn't bother me...I find value in the Mercedes Me functions so I pay for them, if you don't find value in them don't pay for them. On my Chrysler the remote start is built into the fob but you have to pay for the app. I like the app, so I pay for the app. No big deal.

I see little value in having the remote start on the fob, but on the app where I can start it from within a building etc, that I like.

When Mercedes is interested in making luxury cars again, let me know!

Not sure why this means Mercedes isn't making luxury cars. Luxury costs money.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-30-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
There's a good chance that especially with EVs personal car ownership is going away and is getting replaced with subscription models. So instead of buying a car, you pay a monthly subscription and get to change into a new car once a year or something like that.
I know Porsche does this:
​​​​​https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor.../subscription/

I think Audi might have it as well.
Old 05-31-2024, 06:06 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLS 450
I canceled Mercedes Me because the terms and conditions are highly invasive of my personal privacy. Mercedes Benz collects information reflecting your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitude, and any other inferences drawn from your personal information and can sell it to third party marketers, such as auto insurance companies. That includes navigation data, driving habits, internet searches, biometric data, car data, sensory data and app usage. I decided that the services provided by Mercedes Me are not worth the loss of privacy and the subscription expenses. You pay M-B for the services and they are free to further monetize your personal information with third parties. Each to their own, but it is worth understanding the fine print before accepting the terms and conditions.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/pr...%20much%20data.
The following 2 users liked this post by DesertGolfer:
midcityeng (06-03-2024), Splaktar (05-31-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: We pay for Remote Start?!!!