GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Smooth Shifting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2024 | 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by EWL5
Let's just say I'm a little triggered when it comes to folks that don't add to the "community", make a handful of posts (8 total), and then trolls the rest of us.

Besides, didn't he already have his "Goodbye Thread" in April?!!! I called him out on this back when he had 4 posts! LOL!
I see, I understand where you are coming from.
Old 08-07-2024 | 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by nc211
I mean, when a $50,000 VW Atlas fully loaded basically does the same thing as the GLS, and asks far less of you to keep it up, one has to take a pause and ask themselves a question or two. Perhaps MB should be asking themselves those questions too.
Thats just the thing though, it doesn't do the same things as the GLS. I looked at the Atlas extensively before we got the hybrid Pacifica and its a good 3 row SUV but its not a GLS. They're all 4 cyl, transverse FWD layout, macpherson struts, lack many features and quality, louder and don't ride as well, the list goes on.

If you value the tangible things that a vehicle like the GLS brings to the table, the robust DW or multi-link suspension, longitudinal layout and rear biased drivetrain, available high performing 6 and 8 cyl power, air suspension, chassis tuning and capability, then something like an Atlas is a total non starter. You have the GLS or the X7, in a cheaper mainstream car you need something like a Durango, or an Explorer, or a Mazda CX-90. But an Atlas is more like a Palisade or Telluride or Highlander etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
nc211 (08-08-2024), sickk23 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-07-2024 | 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by SW20S
Thats just the thing though, it doesn't do the same things as the GLS. I looked at the Atlas extensively before we got the hybrid Pacifica and its a good 3 row SUV but its not a GLS. They're all 4 cyl, transverse FWD layout, macpherson struts, lack many features and quality, louder and don't ride as well, the list goes on.

If you value the tangible things that a vehicle like the GLS brings to the table, the robust DW or multi-link suspension, longitudinal layout and rear biased drivetrain, available high performing 6 and 8 cyl power, air suspension, chassis tuning and capability, then something like an Atlas is a total non starter. You have the GLS or the X7, in a cheaper mainstream car you need something like a Durango, or an Explorer, or a Mazda CX-90. But an Atlas is more like a Palisade or Telluride or Highlander etc.
Speaking of the CX-90, forum member EWL5 actually had this same conversation and ultimately decided on the GLS, in summary the CX-90 is a great car/SUV but it is not a GLS. https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...nt-needed.html

Although I do agree the CX-90 is the better vehicle to the mainstream competition at least when it comes to materials used wise, the interior design, and oh that inline-6.
Old 08-07-2024 | 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Totally, theres a reason why the GLS is so much more expensive
Old 08-07-2024 | 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by TheAce
Here is my experience with the a 2023 and 2024 GLS450, as I posted in another thread. After 4 moths, I continue to feel that the Mercedes quality and support was poor. I moved to a Lexus LX600 and have been extremely satisfied with my decision. With the trade in of the 2024 GLS450, I did lose about $30k, but it was well worth it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...-mercedes.html

Mercedes GLS450 is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I had a 2023 GLS450 with multiple problems. 1) Gas cap door was replaced at the factory due to paint problems (they left the original piece in the car when I picked it up). 2) Transmission would clunk as it upshifted and downshifted. After 2 months of diagnosis and repairs, they were able to resolve this. 3) There was a bubble in the drivers seat cover that they replaced. The leather was still loose on the replacement seat cover. I got a refund based on a the state lemon law.

I purchased a new 2024 GLS450 and this car also had multiple issues. 1) Door was repainted. After a few months of ownership, I noted that there was a 3 inch square discoloration on the quarter panel. This was clearly repainted at the factory, as I had a body shop assess the paint thickness. It was inconsistent in this area. 2) Transmission was clunking as it upshifted and surged when it downshifted. This was repaired by reprogramming. 3) Seat cushion was still loose and had a bubble in it.

These cars are poorly built and have many problems endemic in their design. The quality is poor and Mercedes and their dealerships fail to provide the service expected of a luxury brand. I opted to trade this in for a different brand, despite the monetary loss. It was not worth the angst to keep this vehicle and will hopefully provide peace of mind. Never again will I purchase a Mercedes and suggest that everyone else also avoid this brand
Is your LX included in the massive engine recall? 100,000 Tundras and LXs are getting all new engines. All is not perfect in Lexusland either...

Posted on ClubLexus:

Ugh.

LX on its way to dealer. Quit while driving just after passing a few cars at ~ 73 MPH. Engine just died - no PS, no PB, no electronics, nada. Pulled to side of road and put it in Park. Had to hit START button twice to get it to start. Drove CAUTIOUSLY the rest of the way home.

At house, rough idle, bouncing between 500-800 rpm’s. Also at that idle, Oil Pressure Gauge was below the “L”.

When in driveway and parked and when engine was rev’d, there is a significant engine shake/shudder at ~4500 rpm’s and it won’t rev higher than that. Additionally, when given more accelerator (gas), rpm’s go down. But at least the oil pressure rises through all of this.

Called nearest Lexus dealer and they are having it transported to their shop (200 miles one way).

AAA sucks btw. Took them 6.5 hours to come get the vehicle.

It’s a 2022 LX600 F Sport and its VIN identified in the recall. ~34,000 miles. All service performed (just was serviced at 30k miles).

We’ll see what happens.

HB

PS - Wife was driving (with me in passenger seat) when this happened and did an INCREDIBLE job of maintaining her composure and getting the truck off the road.

Old 08-07-2024 | 09:07 PM

Mercedes GLS450
Originally Posted by EWL5
The following doesn't make sense to me:
1) You had a bad experience and doubled down?!!! (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!). Mentioning the $30k loss was really not necessary.
2) Ok, you moved on to Lexus and its better. Why are you still posting here? I certainly wouldn't waste my time if I were you!
1) The first one was repaired after weeks. I liked the car, but wanted a new one because of all the unknowns with the tear down and repair. I don't trust my dealership to appropriate repair the car when I see the laundry list of attempts on the work order. I was hoping that the second one would be better, but it had similar transmission problems within 5k miles. Mentioning the $30k loss does give it prospective. It shows how much I was willing to give up to get out of the car.

2) I moved on, but that doesn't mean that I've forgotten. I'm adamant that these cars have build quality issues that have been ignored by Mercedes. Hopefully I've saved another buyer from a bad experience.
Old 08-07-2024 | 09:15 PM

Mercedes GLS450
No my LX600 wasn't included in the recall. At least Lexus acknowleges the problem and has a solution. This will be costly for them, as it necessitates engine replacement.
Old 08-07-2024 | 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
No my LX600 wasn't included in the recall. At least Lexus acknowleges the problem and has a solution. This will be costly for them, as it necessitates engine replacement.
I can tell you from 22 years of Lexus ownership that Lexus is no better than Mercedes at warranty repairs or standing behind their cars. There was a time 20 years ago where they were great, but it hasn’t been that way in a long time. Lexus is king of the “operating as designed” cop out.

I would also not have confidence that my LX was not impacted even though it’s not part of the recall…
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
RJC (08-23-2024), sickk23 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-08-2024 | 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by SW20S
I would also not have confidence that my LX was not impacted even though it’s not part of the recall…
Just change the oil every 1k miles and eventually all those metal shavings from plant will come out. 🤣
Old 08-08-2024 | 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
LOL there ya go
Old 08-08-2024 | 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
No I hear ya', but it's also all of that complexity that, in my opinion, causes the problems that prevent enjoyment of use and ownership. Granted, I'm no longer really into cars as much as I used to be, but an Atlas is very comfortable, has all the "tech" you could possibly want or use realistically, and I think look really good. I do agree though, dropping the 3.6 V6 was a mistake, but I've also not driven a 2.0t version, and it is short of amazing what they're able to do with that 2.0t these days. My opinion, a CPO Atlas V6 SEL R with those shiny big wheels, is a sharp looking car, and very easy to repair along the way. But no argument from me, it's no Mercedes Benz!

I think cars are just getting so overly complicated now, they're just a hassle. It's like brain surgery to fix them, and they ALL break, there is no "perfect" car. But, I will admit, that I am now at the place mentally where I really don't care about the new stuff anymore. I'm more interested in the older stuff that I couldn't afford when they were new! Like the 1990's E320 sedans? Oh I love those and would be hard pressed to not buy the right one. I'm also at the point were bang for buck is more enjoyable. If I had $150k to spend on either a new 911 or $35k on a used Mazda Miata, I'd pick the Miata all day long now and save the money. Simply because I could enjoy all of the aspects of the Miata, while the Porsche would either land me in jail or around the base of an oak tree. Honestly, walking away from the luxury brands on this last purchase for a Ford Bronco, has been a wonderful feeling. It's a bit of a "freeing" feeling of not having to worry if I'll be looking at a $2000 control arm bushing anymore. If I hear a rattle in the back, it's a simple "well, it is a Ford" thought and just keep on keeping on, instead of wondering what the heck is broken that is causing it, and the hassle I face to get it fixed. There is true value in that feeling!

We have three cars now in the garage. A 10 year old VW Tiquan with 45k miles, a new 2024 Bronco OBX, and a 4 year old GLS450. Clearly the GLS is by far the more luxurious vehicle. But, oddly enough, it's not the one we pick to drive anymore other than road trips. My wife likes that old Tiquan more, and is trying to move in on my midlife crisis toy Bronco too. She still likes the GLS, but misses the "fun" factor of driving. She told me the other day that it now feels like the family minivan. I think we're on the first step towards the exit with it now.
Old 08-08-2024 | 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
VW's W6 is the one of the coolest six bangers ever made.

Old 08-08-2024 | 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by nc211
I think cars are just getting so overly complicated now, they're just a hassle. It's like brain surgery to fix them, and they ALL break, there is no "perfect" car. But, I will admit, that I am now at the place mentally where I really don't care about the new stuff anymore. I'm more interested in the older stuff that I couldn't afford when they were new! Like the 1990's E320 sedans? Oh I love those and would be hard pressed to not buy the right one. I'm also at the point were bang for buck is more enjoyable. If I had $150k to spend on either a new 911 or $35k on a used Mazda Miata, I'd pick the Miata all day long now and save the money. Simply because I could enjoy all of the aspects of the Miata, while the Porsche would either land me in jail or around the base of an oak tree. Honestly, walking away from the luxury brands on this last purchase for a Ford Bronco, has been a wonderful feeling. It's a bit of a "freeing" feeling of not having to worry if I'll be looking at a $2000 control arm bushing anymore. If I hear a rattle in the back, it's a simple "well, it is a Ford" thought and just keep on keeping on, instead of wondering what the heck is broken that is causing it, and the hassle I face to get it fixed. There is true value in that feeling!
I might feel that way if I kept cars a long time, but seeing that they're never out from under warranty, whatever might go wrong ain't my problem...other than the hassle of dealing with it. I just still have to be wow'ed by a car, and as nice a vehicle as an Atlas is its not a wow vehicle.
Old 08-23-2024 | 08:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

How's the 10 speed in yours? I've read on CL some are finding rough/ harsh up/downshifts at times (comfort/auto).
Old 08-24-2024 | 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Crito
VW's W6 is the one of the coolest six bangers ever made.

VR6
W16 is in a Veyron.