Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLK430 "AMG" vs. CLK430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by b3d_sage
well, firstly.. exhause system? You could put an AMG suspension on it (but might as well go with a 3rd party, IMO). Brakes, obviously. Hell, you could even put an AMG engine in. I dont think wheels count because, although if you get lighter wheels that's less wight you have to move (and rotating weight requires more force) but if they are AMG wheels then they say AMG on them and I dont think that qualifies you for an AMG badge on the rest of the car.
You get the badge when you get the engine and the entire package, otherwise you're perpetrating a fraud!
Old 08-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
Originally Posted by C43AMG
You get the badge when you get the engine and the entire package, otherwise you're perpetrating a fraud!
Well, I disagree. You get the model+///AMG badges if you have the entire kit. If you dont have the model badge then obviously you dont have the car. Now, I'm not saying go out and buy yourself a set of springs, then put in AMG floormats, illuminated door sils, etc etc etc because, IMO, that would make you look kind of stupid. But, if you have a C320 with AMG C32 exhaust system then whats wrong with advertising that you have a C320 with ///AMG bits? It's not like you're claiming to be a C32.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Badges are one thing....

Membership is entirely another.

Here are the requirements to join the official AMG Owners Club in Germany:

http://www.amg-owners-club.de/38.0.html

Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chappy
Membership is entirely another.

Here are the requirements to join the official AMG Owners Club in Germany:

http://www.amg-owners-club.de/38.0.html

Chappy - thanx for the link - my German is very rusty - any chance you can give us the translated "Cliff Notes" version of the requirements? Please.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Well, I disagree. You get the model+///AMG badges if you have the entire kit. If you dont have the model badge then obviously you dont have the car. Now, I'm not saying go out and buy yourself a set of springs, then put in AMG floormats, illuminated door sils, etc etc etc because, IMO, that would make you look kind of stupid. But, if you have a C320 with AMG C32 exhaust system then whats wrong with advertising that you have a C320 with ///AMG bits? It's not like you're claiming to be a C32.
I understand what you're saying but I think the ///AMG badge should only be placed on AMG cars. Just my opinion. By your definition I could put a renntech badge on my car. But I know my car is not a renntech. Do whatever you want, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks or says.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Chappy - thanx for the link - my German is very rusty - any chance you can give us the translated "Cliff Notes" version of the requirements? Please.
I cheated and used Babelfish. Basically, it states that you must be an AMG owner and your car must be registered as an AMG, with AMG transmission and AMG engine in order to be accepted for membership.

It goes into a few other details as well. I don't speak German, but perhaps another member can embellish further.

Evidently, they don't care about stickers, badges, wheels or bodykits.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chappy
I cheated and used Babelfish. Basically, it states that you must be an AMG owner and your car must be registered as an AMG, with AMG transmission and AMG engine in order to be accepted for membership.

It goes into a few other details as well. I don't speak German, but perhaps another member can embellish further.

Evidently, they don't care about stickers, badges, wheels or bodykits.
Thank you.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I understand what you're saying but I think the ///AMG badge should only be placed on AMG cars. Just my opinion. By your definition I could put a renntech badge on my car. But I know my car is not a renntech. Do whatever you want, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks or says.
sure, I wouldnt have a problem if you wanted to put a renntech badge on your car. if I were you then I wouldnt because I would feel like it didnt really fit my car with no more than an intake. Now, if they removed the Mercedes model badging then I'd say you're stretching your luck because then you're trying to cover up what you really have inside. With the model number and Renntech badge at least people know that you're a CLK430 with a few Renntech bits. Anyone who knows about such things (and thus anyone that I would care about knowing) would know that you didnt have the entire kit just by looking at the car, and obviously by seeing the "CLK430".

Perhaps its just because i come from the computer world where if you have an AMD cpu then you stick the AMD sticker on it. If you have a thermaltake RAM cooling kit then you put the "Performance Cooled by Thermaltake" badge on your case.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Perhaps its just because i come from the computer world where if you have an AMD cpu then you stick the AMD sticker on it. If you have a thermaltake RAM cooling kit then you put the "Performance Cooled by Thermaltake" badge on your case.
Yea I guess its the computer thing. You totally lost me on that explanation.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Yea I guess its the computer thing. You totally lost me on that explanation.

I'm sure you're familiar with "Intel Inside" right? Well, same theory. If you have an AMD part (most likely a CPU, wouldnt really make sense to have a non-AMD cpu but another AMD part...) then you would normally stick and "AMD" casebadge on your case. That badge doesnt mean that the entire thing uses AMD parts exclusively... it wouldnt be uncommon to see "AMD" and "nVidia" and "Thermaltake" badges all on the same computer. Why? Because it's innards include bits from each of those companies.