Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLS55 vs Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
While your CLS55 is a nice car, I wouldn't even try to mention it in the same breath as the Vanquish S.
I agree-- no reason to bring the CLS55 down to the Aston Martin's level.

Having driven both cars I can assure you the CLS55 can not even be compared in terms of speed, handling or anything for that matter.
There are actually a number of over-rated sports cars, exotics even. Although the Aston Martin is undoubtebly a marvelous vehicle, it's nowhere near the CLS55 in terms of what was mentioned. Handling, perhaps, but the line is sketched there. The CLS55 will "massacre" a Aston Martin Vanquish S or no S, day in and day out. Doesn't matter if Jeremy Clarke is shifting or driving, you'd have to have a dummy behind the wheel of the CLS55 to have it lose to the likes of the Vanquish, in performance terms anyhow. Styling is a prefrence on the other hand and can be argued against but performance is not.

That fact that you were beating the Vanquish is only because the person in the Vanquish was either crippled or just wanted you to have a nice dream.

The Vanquish S is one of the best exotic cars in the world and to even compare it to the CLS55 is a disgrace. Actual road and track test results would confirm this.
A disgrace for which vehicle? Certaintly not the CLS, so that narrows it down. I, for one, am suprised most would rather have that James Bond made-famous vehicle than a CLS. It's highly overrated, does everything OK, but does not excel in anything in particular and is worth nowhere near the price tag listed, for that amount, I'd be much happier with a CL65 or SL65. Or my own, actually. Please, if you do find "actual road and track test results" to furthermore confirm point, feel not ashamed to post them.

I hope you enjoy your dream and are equally able to enjoy your car when you wake up.
Maybe it's you who needs to wake up...?

The Aston Martin, just like the Mirua, just like the F40, just like the GT40, just like the Shelby, just like the Gullwing is HIGHLY overrated. The only reason 90% of the people on the planet know of the vehicle, is from James Bond.

Let me clarify, I'm not trying to send out hate towards the Aston Martin. I have seen it in person, I have driven it, at one point, I was even interested in it, however, with that in mind, I used to own an '03 E55 AMG, the new ones you know? And I happened to race a Vanquish, and yes, "massacre" is what it was. 2-3 hundred some odd K for a vehicle which cannot hold it's own against a sedan and it's getting mass applauds? What's the crack here? Maybe I just dont find it all the attracting, maybe you are all right and it's the best vehicle on the planet, bar none-- but regardless, the Aston in my mind remains the "rich english man's everyday toy" whilst the CLS55 is a "rich man's weekend toy".

I suppose as one member put it:

"At that price range, it's prefrence."
Old 09-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
The reality of it, for most of us, is that we do not have the skill set to be able to push a car where you can tell the difference between a tenth of a second or even more.

A highly skilled driver can take turns faster and better in a slower and less performance oriented car than a less skilled driver in the high performance car.
Last time I checked they did the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in a straight line
Old 09-11-2005, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Last time I checked they did the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in a straight line
Same theory would apply on a straight line as well.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another one goes to sleep...

Originally Posted by Lexani
I agree-- no reason to bring the CLS55 down to the Aston Martin's level.

There are actually a number of over-rated sports cars, exotics even. Although the Aston Martin is undoubtebly a marvelous vehicle, it's nowhere near the CLS55 in terms of what was mentioned. Handling, perhaps, but the line is sketched there. The CLS55 will "massacre" a Aston Martin Vanquish S or no S, day in and day out. Doesn't matter if Jeremy Clarke is shifting or driving, you'd have to have a dummy behind the wheel of the CLS55 to have it lose to the likes of the Vanquish, in performance terms anyhow. Styling is a prefrence on the other hand and can be argued against but performance is not.

A disgrace for which vehicle? Certaintly not the CLS, so that narrows it down. I, for one, am suprised most would rather have that James Bond made-famous vehicle than a CLS. It's highly overrated, does everything OK, but does not excel in anything in particular and is worth nowhere near the price tag listed, for that amount, I'd be much happier with a CL65 or SL65. Or my own, actually. Please, if you do find "actual road and track test results" to furthermore confirm point, feel not ashamed to post them.

Maybe it's you who needs to wake up...?

The Aston Martin, just like the Mirua, just like the F40, just like the GT40, just like the Shelby, just like the Gullwing is HIGHLY overrated. The only reason 90% of the people on the planet know of the vehicle, is from James Bond.

Let me clarify, I'm not trying to send out hate towards the Aston Martin. I have seen it in person, I have driven it, at one point, I was even interested in it, however, with that in mind, I used to own an '03 E55 AMG, the new ones you know? And I happened to race a Vanquish, and yes, "massacre" is what it was. 2-3 hundred some odd K for a vehicle which cannot hold it's own against a sedan and it's getting mass applauds? What's the crack here? Maybe I just dont find it all the attracting, maybe you are all right and it's the best vehicle on the planet, bar none-- but regardless, the Aston in my mind remains the "rich english man's everyday toy" whilst the CLS55 is a "rich man's weekend toy".

I suppose as one member put it:

"At that price range, it's prefrence."
I see you are sleeping as well.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
in your defense Lovin, I have always dreamed of owning a vanquish. Its a status symbol that mercedes drivers droool for. However, (and this is a very BIG however) The CLS is by far my favorite benz, so now im stuck....

But I am afriad the answer is quite clear, The DB9 is practically the same car. and now that the V8 Vantage is out I really think Aston has put themselves in a pit. 3 almost identically looking cars with similar driving capabilities with radicially different price ranges.

For the money of the Vanquish, I could by the CLS 55 AND the V8 Vantage and have the combination of both power and status without breaking the bank. But thats just me. Instead of criticizing you opinion, I rather applaud you for being a car enthusiast and a connoisseur. your car is amazing and without a doubt you'll be the big man on campus and turn more heads than greassy fabio in his ferrari.

Last edited by Evil Duffman; 09-11-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Poor Lovin, so sad when people start talking smack about his purty S. Fact is, the Kompressor 55's will beat your car in the 1/4 from the factory with no problems no matter if both drivers are average or professional. Don't get me wrong, the S is a great car that few can say they own, but they're not all that by any means.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
in your defense Lovin, I have always dreamed of owning a vanquish. Its a status symbol that mercedes drivers droool for. However, (and this is a very BIG however) The CLS is by far my favorite benz, so now im stuck....

But I am afriad the answer is quite clear, The DB9 is practically the same car. and now that the V8 Vantage is out I really think Aston has put themselves in a pit. 3 almost identically looking cars with similar driving capabilities with radicially different price ranges.

For the money of the Vanquish, I could by the CLS 55 AND the V8 Vantage and have the combination of both power and status without breaking the bank. But thats just me. Instead of criticizing you opinion, I rather applaud you for being a car enthusiast and a connoisseur. your car is amazing and without a doubt you'll be the big man on campus and turn more heads that gressy fabio in his ferrari.
Thank you for your comments. I think many people share some of your thoughts however I respectfully suggest the following...

I have spent literally hundreds of hours researching and driving the different Aston Martin cars to determine the answers to many of your questions. It is hard for me to comment on the new AM V8 because it is so new and I have not driven the AM V8 yet but I promise you, the DB9 and the Vanquish S are completely different cars.

So much of this is a subjective opinion but after doing all the research and spending hours and hours driving both cars, I could tell the difference blindfolded. It starts from when you sit in the car, you accelerate, you take turns and finally to what the car feels like at 130 mph and above.

I am happy to see that Mercedes has been able to spark some fire in the minds of people with the CLS and I hope the car's performance and reliability in the long run doesn't disappoint people.

Again, many thanks for your comments.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
Poor Lovin, so sad when people start talking smack about his purty S. Fact is, the Kompressor 55's will beat your car in the 1/4 from the factory with no problems no matter if both drivers are average or professional. Don't get me wrong, the S is a great car that few can say they own, but they're not all that by any means.
Yup...Lovin is getting beat up... but he has some big shoulders.

I am however happy that people are feeling passionate about their CLS's. That is good news for the brand.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
well top gear didnt test the cls55 but it did the vanquish s. what is super ironic is a sub $70k car beat it. not that i am a fan of that car but it is american and the stig posted a better time with it then the vanquish s.

http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonb...times/thestig/

the vette which i am not a fan of is #21 and the vanquish is #22. if i recall i have this episode on a dvd. and if memory serves me correctly it took them 3 months to test the vanquish because the flappy paddle gearbox let go 3 different times.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:22 AM

Similar weight and you have 80+ hp on him. Not hard.

But nothing has the prestige and looks of an Aston, net even Ford can **** that up.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
and if memory serves me correctly it took them 3 months to test the vanquish because the flappy paddle gearbox let go 3 different times.
yeah that was the episode they tested it against the 575 right?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
yeah that was the episode they tested it against the 575 right?
i think so.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
well top gear didnt test the cls55 but it did the vanquish s.

Actually top gear did test the CLS 55

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...75#post1171275

track time: 1:26.9 FOR CLS 55 AMG

1:27.1 FOR the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish S
Old 09-11-2005, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s

oh well. i guess the aston beat by just a little bit. they look to be even matched cars. .2 of a second isnt much. now if they raced every 5 laps the cls would gain a 1 second on the vanquish wich would translate to a good sized wn if they went several 100 miles.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)

I find it a little bit embarrasing that a $250k supercar is slower in straights and on the track then a $80k family sedan.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by absent
I find it a little bit embarrasing that a $250k supercar is slower in straights and on the track then a $80k family sedan.
did u not see the post on the vette? the vette is faster then it and it is bloody american.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I see you are sleeping as well.

Maybe, or maybe I'm just another member who uses factual evidence to prove a point rather than "falling asleep" comments...
Old 09-11-2005, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Instead of criticizing you opinion, I rather applaud you for being a car enthusiast and a connoisseur. your car is amazing and without a doubt you'll be the big man on campus and turn more heads than greassy fabio in his ferrari.
Ironic, considering he criticizes ours. Regardless, I'll take a F360 over a Vanquish anyday-- and there is no way, a Vanquish will get more heads than a Fly Yellow Ferrari F360 top down. Period.

Maybe if you got the BOND version, with the guns and all...
Old 09-11-2005, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe, or maybe I'm just another member who uses factual evidence to prove a point rather than "falling asleep" comments...
You are looking at one single element...speed off the line under a very narrow set of circumstances.

Hardly what is used to judge a truely great car and it's performance.

Surely, anyone would understand this, except you. I fear you may be asleep yet again.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ironic, considering he criticizes ours. Regardless, I'll take a F360 over a Vanquish anyday-- and there is no way, a Vanquish will get more heads than a Fly Yellow Ferrari F360 top down. Period.

Do you have a Ferrari and/or a Vanquish S or are you just mouthing off again.

Below is a post off a Ferrari forum and unlike you...this gentleman does have both a 360 and a Vanquish S.

He picks the Vanquish S over the Ferrari.

"No, in fact I prefer it over the Ferrari.

I've had the Vanquish 2 weeks now and drove it 1,200 miles, the Ferrari is one year old with 2,050 miles. The Ferrari's upshifts are very inconsistent, literally slamming it into gears sometime. Also, some upshifts are faster than others. Frankly, sometimes I think to myself I hope nothing is going to snap.

The Vanquish seems to just ease it into gear on the upshifts, never abruptly. The Vanquish definitely downshifts faster than the Ferrari. It upshifts a tad faster...maybe a hair, but much smoother. But the downshifts are a dream.

Ironically, in auto mode they're flip-flopped. The Ferrari is stays in gear more before upshifting, whereas the Vanquish upshifts quickly to get into top gear ASAP. This is probably a function of the torque curves.

I read someplace where "once you sit in an Aston, you will end up having one for the rest of your life." That is an absolute truth. The feeling I have right now is that I will always try to have one in my garage. Don't get me wrong, the Ferrari is a blast, but I'd much rather say "yeah I once had a Ferrari" than the other way around. And I'm Italian, 100% first generation DAGO."

Keep dreaming my wanna-be friend. Below are his cars. Oh, he has an SL so even you might consider him be an intelligent man.
Attached Thumbnails CLS55 vs Vanquish-pict0032-3-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2005, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, I forgot this one. This is a post off the same thread in the Ferrari forum. This comment is from someone that is not only a Ferrari owner but a Sponsor of the 'Ferrari" site.

"Great looking cars, ----. The Vanquish S is probably the most beautiful production car right now. Love the new spoiler lip they went with."

Lexani, can we now talk about something for which you have actual knowledge?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K

I highly doubt that, and I really think the Ferrari 360 is overrated. Esp since you can get the 550 hp Gallardo for around the same price. Out of all 3 i think the Vanquish is the best looking hands down.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:45 PM

the vanquish S is being compared to a cls... wtf...? Vanquish S should be compared to ferrari/lambo/porsche/maybe CL65

CLS should be compared to E55/M5/M6/Maserati.....
Old 09-11-2005, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Cls

Get real about the CLS55 already.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:32 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Thumbs down

Kind of like the guy that thinks his Raymond Weil quartz is a better watch; just because it's more accurate by a few seconds a year over a Vacheron Constantine ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLS55 vs Vanquish