Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

What's your best speeding ticket story?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 CLA 45
Germany - last sommer - holidays:

At about 3am in the morning i left my friends house and got on the autobahn with a noted speedlimit of 100km/h. i figured: no cars, full moon -> good view, usually no german troopers (only a autobahn cop once in a while, but what are the odds) and to slow down when i come close to a bridge because of radars mounted under the brige; the perfect time to get home a little faster.

so when i got up the ramp i punched it all the way till it didnt go any further (250kmh) so i keep doing that for like 7 minutes ... then suddenly i see a car behind with an equal speed, so i think its some porsche or w/e. he didnt do anything for another 5 minutes so then i thaught im okay ... slowed down, punched it, slowed down punched it just for the pleasure of the roaring sound. by doing that the other car slowly gained up on me ... when it was 200ft behind me. I looked in the back mirror for the check i saw blue lights ... OMG so it was some cop - ****!

of course i pulled over and the walked up to me. started talking to me in german (which i understood perfectly, living in germany for 16 years before) but i just replied in english and showed them my passport.

so then they tried to recall their english lessons from school (was quite funny lol). so i tell them slowly in english that i only did it because of no cars, that i cant do it in the US and that someone told me that i could do it here because of a no limit speed sign that was posted a little before my ramp entry and that i believed him. (which, of course, wasnt true)

so we chit chatted a little ... they told me that they would have never gotten me if i wouldnt have braked and accelerated that often, because theirs only goes to 250km/h too and that they would let me off with any ticket. wished me a nice stay and told me i shouldnt go that fast anymore.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i cant wait to go terrorise the autobahn's in some very fast rental... maybe this summer
Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 PM

'14 CLA 45
what you can do:

go to a MB dealership, and get a car for the weekend. i remember a friend getting a clk 500 for about $200 (filled up) for a weekend. no restricted miles etc after he told them he might buy one.

i believe the rentals dont have cars that could match with that. performance/price ratio
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by AMG_55
i cant wait to go terrorise the autobahn's in some very fast rental... maybe this summer

MMmm quite tempting.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:52 PM

2014 E350 Sport, 2015 ML350 4Matic
Couple of days ago, I'm rounding a sweeping turn on I-20 in ATL. The Interstate is about 12 lanes wide, and I'm in the HOV (with a buddy, this part is legal). I blow by a trooper on the inside emergency lane, chick in the passenger seat hanging out like a pomeranian with a laser gun. I should have reached out and slapped her had I known...

So they pull me over, officer states "80 in a 55". What!? I told her I figured the Interstate was 70, that's why I was doing 80ish max. Nope, I checked on the return visit and there are a couple of miles that drop to 55. Revenue generator for sure.

I thought about claiming that I was profiled. Pasty white boy in a black AMG.

JPOG
Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpog
Nope, I checked on the return visit and there are a couple of miles that drop to 55. Revenue generator for sure.

JPOG
hey go check exatly where they clocked you and where the nearest posted speedlimit sign to signify the change is, if the spot they got you at is within (dont quote me i could be wrong) 100ft of the speed change they cannot ticket you because you have to give ample time for drivers to adjust to the new posted speed. i got out of a ticket this way, 50mph-35mph, cop was next to sign scanning people, not enough time to give someone to slow down because you cannot safely slam on your brakes the second you see the sign, will cause an accedient.

Alex.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:08 AM

2014 E350 Sport, 2015 ML350 4Matic
I looked, and there is a sign posted about 1/2 mile before my encounter. Problem is when I am in the HOV, 52 lanes to the left of the speed limit sign, unable to see over the convoys of tractor trailers, it's ticket time. The local constable knows it, too.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Good to know folks are looking out for each other.

JPOG
Old 12-13-2005, 12:47 AM

1999 C43
It was probably in 1994 when I was driving my old 1968 Mustang. I was following a friend to a field party in high school. I think my friend did not half know where he was going because we kept going in circles.

I began to notice that not only was I following my friend, but someone was following us. I thought it might have been someone else looking for a way to the party, but they were following us even though we were going in circles. I thought someone was trying to mess with us, so I began to get impatient with stop signs and took off as fast as I could. I eventually pulled in to an elementary school behind my friend's car and we both got out ready to kick some @$$ when the following car turned on it's lights and two officers in the unmarked car got out. They were less than nice to us and since we were out of our cars already, they might have felt a little threatened.

Seems they noticed we were circling the neighborhood and thought something was odd. After I explained why I reacted as I did, they were nice enough to give me a warning ticket for running stop signs and reckless driving.

Still ... FREAKED ME OUT!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL 600
...go check exatly where they clocked you and where the nearest posted speedlimit sign to signify the change is, if the spot they got you at is within (dont quote me i could be wrong) 100ft of the speed change they cannot ticket you because you have to give ample time for drivers to adjust to the new posted speed...
According to my math, 80 mph is about 117.33 feet per second. I think 100 feet per second is about 68 mph. Not enough time.

However, it would make sense to me that their argument would be that the amount of time the driver had from the time the speed limit sign was visible should be taken into account because it was then that the driver was first put on notice of the change in the speed limit.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Got ticketed in Mariposa, AZ, for doing 98 mph in a 45 lane, in a RENTAL minivan. The damn van max out at 100mhp, otherwise, I would have lost my license.

Got ticket for going 90 on 65 highway (22 freeway). Went to court, cop didn't show up. Ticket dismissed.

Was doing 120-130mph on my way to Napa Valley on Interstate 5. Along the pace was a new Acura TL, with some type of radar mount in windshield. My V1 all sudent beep a faint sound, just once. While I didn't press the accelerator any further, the TL passed. Down the hill, saw dirt kick up all over the place from the median, a CHP lock the TL, cross over the median at fullspeed, and nail the poor guy.

I once saw a Ferrari pass me so fast even when I was doing 100-110 (also on the 5). Couple miles later, saw him signing autograph for CHP . Dumb guy, deserve a ticket. It's a straight path of highway, anyone even w/ the lousiest radar detector would have been spared.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:40 PM
ON PROBATION

Uhhhhh...wouldn't be prudent...sorry..... :v
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL 600
Originally Posted by zam2000
.....doing 98 mph in a 45 lane, in a RENTAL minivan......
Now, that's funny.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:38 PM
ON PROBATION

What year was this? 2002? I think I saw that movie, wasn't it "Deathwish 2002"? LOL
Old 12-31-2005, 10:07 PM

1992 300CE
Left my house in my 1968 XKE for the mall (Indiana is very flat with lots of farm fields). Went past an apartment complex that had a covered bridge as an entrance. Blew by at 90 and I saw the cop in the covered bridge. The road I was on went up a slight rise and then down to a four-way stop in the middle of 4 big fields. Winter time so there were no obscured sight lines for a half mile in any direction. I went over the rise and down to the stop signs. I pulled over on the berm in front of the stop sign and leaned over to pull my stuff out of the glove box to hand to the cop when he arrived. I heard tires squealing as the cop jumped on the brakes at the stop sign. I leaned back up to see what the hell he was doing.... He was about five feet from me at the stop sign. His head was spinning like an owl's trying to figure out where in the hell I had gone. He jumped on the gas and tore straight ahead with all his lights and siren going.
After he vanished in the distance, I decided to turn around and go back home.

Another time a cop stopped me late on Xmas eve. He said I was doing 75 in a 35, but gave me a warning tik. Whew.........
Old 01-01-2006, 02:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C230 SS
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
His head was spinning like an owl's trying to figure out where in the hell I had gone. He jumped on the gas and tore straight ahead with all his lights and siren going.
stupid cops deserve that!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL 600
Speeding Ticket for 100+ mph in Warren County, MO = 2 days in jail

In Warren County, Missouri (where the speed limit on I-70 is 70 mph), anyone who gets a ticket doing 100 mph or more will be sentenced to two (2) days in jail.

Warren County is about 40 minutes west of St. Louis on I-70.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 PM

My best ticket/no ticket stories are on a bike. Once, I was out on my bike at the time, a lightly modded CBR600 f2, at around 1AM. I was cruising along, taking it easy at perhaps 100-110mph on one of those wide freeways that are below ground level (you travel down from the service drive on ramps to enter). Traffic was light, and with a wall separating me from the lanes on the opposite direction, I thought I'd be able to see any cops. As the underground portion of the freeway ended (and the wall separating lanes with it), I slowed in case a cop was sitting at the end of the wall. Now, traveling at about 70mph for half a mile, I noticed someone coming up in my (middle) lane from behind pretty quick. At first, I thought it might be some guy in a Camaro or Mustang - I mean, it was bar time after all and those guys always want to see you hit it. As the car approached, I could see the lights were in the configuration of a Crown Vic or Impala. As my heart went into my throat, the cop turned his lights on. Immediately I figured "I should stop - I'm driving legal." - but then it dawned on me: he must've been on a ramp and has been trying to catch up this whole time! At that point, I knew it would be a hefty ticket, and 'round here I've heard that cops rough you up if you are driving what they think is dangerously too fast on a bike. Thus, running and getting caught put me at not much more risk than stopping. Plus, the fool turned on his lights like 10 or 15 car-lengths back. There's NO WAY he saw my little Honeycomb-cereal-sized motorcycle plate. Light traffic, night time, and 15 miles to the next town? It really was no question. I tucked, went two gears down, and pinned the throttle. This immediately opened an additional 1/4 mile up between us. Here's where it gets interesting: I did not simply disappear - that cop car was fast! My bike only topped out at around 160. Sure, I was walking away - but DAMN it took a long time. Thank God he wasn't a State boy in a Mustang LX 5.0 (they had them here then), or i might have been caught. Hell, thank God that there weren't more cops available to respond to a radio call for backup!

Lesson learned - don't do that again. I was scared $%itless. It took me half of the 15 miles I had of wide open to completely lose him.

I did get one really sweet moment from it, though: At one point, I took a looonng wide sweeping left at WOT, fully tucked, leaned way over at >10,000rpm, full-song past an 18-wheeler in the lane to my right. The sound of the bike ricocheting off of the truck was prettier than anything I heard when I had all-access corner photo passes to Indy racing events!

Funny looking back on it - my C32 now is faster than my bike was then :v
Old 01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CL 600
Now that you mention bikes, have you seen the 2006 Aprilia Tuono?

2006 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R

It is completely ridiculous....in a good way....very good!

I am sure there will be many good speeding ticket stories on that piece of machinery.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by m3_eater
My best ticket/no ticket stories are on a bike. Once, I was out on my bike at the time, a lightly modded CBR600 f2, at around 1AM. I was cruising along, taking it easy at perhaps 100-110mph on one of those wide freeways that are below ground level (you travel down from the service drive on ramps to enter). Traffic was light, and with a wall separating me from the lanes on the opposite direction, I thought I'd be able to see any cops. As the underground portion of the freeway ended (and the wall separating lanes with it), I slowed in case a cop was sitting at the end of the wall. Now, traveling at about 70mph for half a mile, I noticed someone coming up in my (middle) lane from behind pretty quick. At first, I thought it might be some guy in a Camaro or Mustang - I mean, it was bar time after all and those guys always want to see you hit it. As the car approached, I could see the lights were in the configuration of a Crown Vic or Impala. As my heart went into my throat, the cop turned his lights on. Immediately I figured "I should stop - I'm driving legal." - but then it dawned on me: he must've been on a ramp and has been trying to catch up this whole time! At that point, I knew it would be a hefty ticket, and 'round here I've heard that cops rough you up if you are driving what they think is dangerously too fast on a bike. Thus, running and getting caught put me at not much more risk than stopping. Plus, the fool turned on his lights like 10 or 15 car-lengths back. There's NO WAY he saw my little Honeycomb-cereal-sized motorcycle plate. Light traffic, night time, and 15 miles to the next town? It really was no question. I tucked, went two gears down, and pinned the throttle. This immediately opened an additional 1/4 mile up between us. Here's where it gets interesting: I did not simply disappear - that cop car was fast! My bike only topped out at around 160. Sure, I was walking away - but DAMN it took a long time. Thank God he wasn't a State boy in a Mustang LX 5.0 (they had them here then), or i might have been caught. Hell, thank God that there weren't more cops available to respond to a radio call for backup!

Lesson learned - don't do that again. I was scared $%itless. It took me half of the 15 miles I had of wide open to completely lose him.

I did get one really sweet moment from it, though: At one point, I took a looonng wide sweeping left at WOT, fully tucked, leaned way over at >10,000rpm, full-song past an 18-wheeler in the lane to my right. The sound of the bike ricocheting off of the truck was prettier than anything I heard when I had all-access corner photo passes to Indy racing events!

Damn, good story. How did you eventually lose him. did you have to exit.....go down side streets etc etc.....??? Scary to think if you wrecked at that speed.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Almost a Member!

A180 CDi
Hi all (I'm new here)

My "only" ticket was a few years back, was driving my boss's Opel Manta, he'd asked me to drive into London (UK) to pick up a new fishing rod for him. So I'm doing 65 in a 40 and all of a sudden an un marked plod comes up behind me, lights on. So I pull over, "Do I want to sit in their car to see the video?" "Uh, no thanks". I'd had a couple of drinks (and a packet of mints), he asks me name and addy, so I give him my boss's details, "sorry, my licence is at home".

A few days later, my boss took the ticket for me. He got banned and I kept my job as his driver for another 12 months.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stiggs
Damn, good story. How did you eventually lose him. did you have to exit.....go down side streets etc etc.....??? Scary to think if you wrecked at that speed.

Yeah, exactly. I don't think I'd try that again (older/smarter?). My original plan was to lose him an exit or two down the freeway, but when he was fast I had to stay wide open for more distance. I ducked off like 10 miles down and went to a friends place I knew near the freeway. I remember laughing at myself for freaking out when a medical helicopter flew over as I got to my friends house and I thought maybe the cops had called for aerial backup
Old 01-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by m3_eater

damn......................and i thought i was crazy lol!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:40 PM

05 C230 Spt Komp. 99 911 Carrera
Well I don't have a story about the Benz just yet, but I do have one with the 911 if your interested...

So it's about 1:30 in the morning and I had just dropped my date off after a night out in the 911. Anyway, Im headin west on I-78 cruisin at a cool 110 (4th gear) So I round this bend wich opens up to "The Strip" wich is about 4.5 miles long...and I let 'r rip. As I bend the tach to 7,000 rpm and hit 5th gear, the dial reads 135mph... ..6th gear....I wrap it around to 160mph and figured that was sufficient (as I'm sure the truck I passed also thought)..SO, I'm holdin it at 160 and for some dumb reason I decided to stay that speed as I buzz past an on ramp....dumb dumb dumb...I see the flashing lights come on and the cop burries it as he starts out on me..Lucky for me I was almost at my exit. I start droppin the gears and take the ramp at about 55mph, hop on to a windey back road and start flyin through the gears again. I top the hill only to see him in my mirror....but still at a fair distance...we hit the straight away and I let 'r go again...top 135 on a little 2 lane road only about a mile long...make a quick corner and duck into my stone drive way. I hit the lights and pull behind my tree/hedge line just in time to hear the little bugger go flyin by, lights blazing....I really don't recomend late night endeavours near on/off ramps ...I was lucky.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Midnight Bullet
Well I don't have a story about the Benz just yet, but I do have one with the 911 if your interested...

So it's about 1:30 in the morning and I had just dropped my date off after a night out in the 911. Anyway, Im headin west on I-78 cruisin at a cool 110 (4th gear) So I round this bend wich opens up to "The Strip" wich is about 4.5 miles long...and I let 'r rip. As I bend the tach to 7,000 rpm and hit 5th gear, the dial reads 135mph... ..6th gear....I wrap it around to 160mph and figured that was sufficient (as I'm sure the truck I passed also thought)..SO, I'm holdin it at 160 and for some dumb reason I decided to stay that speed as I buzz past an on ramp....dumb dumb dumb...I see the flashing lights come on and the cop burries it as he starts out on me..Lucky for me I was almost at my exit. I start droppin the gears and take the ramp at about 55mph, hop on to a windey back road and start flyin through the gears again. I top the hill only to see him in my mirror....but still at a fair distance...we hit the straight away and I let 'r go again...top 135 on a little 2 lane road only about a mile long...make a quick corner and duck into my stone drive way. I hit the lights and pull behind my tree/hedge line just in time to hear the little bugger go flyin by, lights blazing....I really don't recomend late night endeavours near on/off ramps ...I was lucky.
Damn,good story. Damn near warrants posting it in the "Kill" section.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
Has anyone else heard of anyone getting away with a ticket by pulling into your garage and shutting the garage door, even if the cop gets your plates he cant give you a ticket since he didnt see who was driving the car. A friend of a friend tried this but it failed when the cop run into the garage and pull his gun, i just wanted to know if anyone knows anyone that has pulled off the garage ticket evasion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's your best speeding ticket story?