Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Killed by a Camaro, blech!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Killed by a Camaro, blech!

Was cruising down one of those 2-lane rural roads minding my own business when a kid in a white Camaro with blue hood stripe appears out of nowhere and starts riding my bumper. I'm doing the speed limit, around 40-45. A minute later, I watch him cross over the double line and floor it. As he slid by I floored it too. Unfortunately the E430 transmission took an eternity to downshift and the Camaro shot past. I started to gain on him very slowly, but at 80 I realized I wasn't going to get past him anytime soon, and he would have to move back on the right side of the road at some point, so I dropped off from his rear quarter panel and off he went. I also realized my wife was screaming at me.
Not sure what year it was, but checking Edmunds, it seems the engines got up to 325hp by the time they killed the model in 2002. No wonder he shot by so easily.
Now I have to go find a C240 to restore my ego.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E500
I wouldn't say you got beat because he had a head start. Even if he punched it only a second or two before you, that's an eternity when it comes to drag racing.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
Not to flame, but that was a really unsafe thing to do. It was also kind of a jerk move.

There is a semi-major two lane road that I take home where the speeds are 40 to 45 as well, depending on the part of the road you take. On occasion I’ve been in a rush and wanted to do 60, and I have passed people over the double line. If somebody pulled on me what you did to that guy – I’d be pretty ticked if I was him. Especially if there wasn’t enough room to get back in cause the other guy wanted to “race” me while I’m trying to pass.

Anyway my .02. I don’t know what the road was you were on or the traffic situation. Maybe you had a clear shot to see far enough up ahead.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by k_lundquist
Not to flame, but that was a really unsafe thing to do. It was also kind of a jerk move.

There is a semi-major two lane road that I take home where the speeds are 40 to 45 as well, depending on the part of the road you take. On occasion I’ve been in a rush and wanted to do 60, and I have passed people over the double line. If somebody pulled on me what you did to that guy – I’d be pretty ticked if I was him. Especially if there wasn’t enough room to get back in cause the other guy wanted to “race” me while I’m trying to pass.

Anyway my .02. I don’t know what the road was you were on or the traffic situation. Maybe you had a clear shot to see far enough up ahead.
Hey, I'll agree but he didn't have kiss my bumper for half a mile either.

The road literally went straight through a farm. Not another soul around.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:15 PM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
Originally Posted by RBrenton88
Hey, I'll agree but he didn't have kiss my bumper for half a mile either.

The road literally went straight through a farm. Not another soul around.
Touche.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bantha
Originally Posted by FirstMB
I wouldn't say you got beat because he had a head start. Even if he punched it only a second or two before you, that's an eternity when it comes to drag racing.
We all know that MB's can never be beat....
Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Unfortunately the E430 transmission took an eternity to downshift and the Camaro shot past.

Bretton - Try this - no joke... read through that thread and see how many people have felt a MAJOR change in their car's performance, myself included.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/148019-holy-crap-you-guys-sneaky-ecu-reset-works.html
Old 05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by lowphat
Bretton - Try this - no joke... read through that thread and see how many people have felt a MAJOR change in their car's performance, myself included.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148019
Oooh, I'll give that a try later today. Sounds like the real DaVinci code has been revealed.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Oooh, I'll give that a try later today. Sounds like the real DaVinci code has been revealed.
You're going to fall in DaLove with your car - your wife won't be Da only one DaScreamin' and if you see DaCamaro again you're gonna DaStroy it...
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Hey man, I feel for ya ... but my 2 cents: if that opportunity comes up again, pass. It's a no-win situation.

You win: not much credit. "Was just a Camaro" or some people will be like "must have been a V6 Camaro"

You lose: well, you already know what that's like. You feel bad, people are like, "How the F did you lose to a Camaro?" etc, etc.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Was cruising down one of those 2-lane rural roads minding my own business when a kid in a white Camaro with blue hood stripe appears out of nowhere and starts riding my bumper. I'm doing the speed limit, around 40-45. A minute later, I watch him cross over the double line and floor it. As he slid by I floored it too. I started to gain on him very slowly, but at 80 I realized I wasn't going to get past him anytime soon, and he would have to move back on the right side of the road at some point, so I dropped off from his rear quarter panel and off he went. I also realized my wife was screaming at me

Let me get this straight. You are on a 2 lane rural road doing 45, and basically get pissed because the guy is too close, then tries to pass on a double yellow....understood. But what kind of a brilliant move is it to get on the gas when someone is trying to pass on a 2 lane road? He was wrong to follow too close as well as passing in a no passing zone...but your actions didn't help the situation one bit. Were you trying to kill him and yourself?

Fortunately when I decide to pass an idiot that is tooling along at the speed limit, who hits it when I pass, I double their speed and I'm gone (no race). Your wife should have done more than yell at you.

You are in the NY metro area........that's a good way to get shot.

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 05-16-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG

Fortunately when I decide to pass an idiot that is tooling along at the speed limit, who hits it when I pass, I double their speed and I'm gone (no race). Your wife should have done more than yell at you.

You are in the NY metro area........that's a good way to get shot.
haha rough BUT true
Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Excellent, RuPaul is back!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Originally Posted by lowphat

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148019
This really does work, no joke. Now I've never tried this method of resetting it, but I can tell you that every time I get my car back from the dealer and they've had to do engine or tranny work, they reset this stuff and it drives 100% better.