Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL55 vs C320 sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
SL55 vs C320 sport

While tooling along heading for the Merc dealer for some much needed service I notice a C320...one of those hatchbacks, weaving through traffic. As he blasts past me, he decides to take the SL's nose off in the process with a less than smooth jerk of the wheel and a bit of sideways tire squeal. I ignored the move but as we both head for the same exit, he tries to accelerate away from the SL with little result. A quick flick of the wrist to downshift a couple of gears, followed by a flex of the right ankle and his mirrors are full of supercharged AMG.

If he makes a right at the bottom of the ramp, it's the back way to the dealer that has some empty roads with some twists for some added fun. Sure enough he sqeals and makes the right!! As he charges at the next left through a traffic light I give him a little room to see what he wants to do. Its pretty obvious he wants to flex the '320's' muscles. His ESP is off as he gets it sideways through the corner.......definitely not the fastest line through there..........so I reel him in pretty easily. I see him checking his mirrors and his speedo in ernest as he mashes the throttle of the little V6 for all its got. Definitely a fruitless endeavor.

As we approach a hard right that leads to a series of esses........sure enough he heads for the turn lane..............time for a little SL55 flexing!! His speed and line matched to the little brakes of the 320 are no match for the corner, but he does an admirable job of not taking out any medians..........but the SL is all over him and in perfect control.........with the good line coming out of the right.

The 55 blasts past on the inside line..........lacing the next 2 esses together perfectly. Hard brake for the left heading onto the access road to the dealer. By this time the SL55 has opened almost 1/4 mi gap. As I accelerate towards the dealer I see him sliding through the left. I brake hard and pull into the service drive fully expecting him to turn in. I waved to say hi............but his eyes were glued forward. As this was the only business on this road, I am sure that he was just being a little ego wounded, instead of enjoying the fun. Oh well.........at least I had some fun!

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 05-31-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats, umm, quite an accomplishment there, an SL55 killing a C320 coupe... Takes major ***** to take on a beast like that and beat him. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky tomorrow and school a Geo Prizm or something.

I'm sorry, but what exactly was the point of beating a little hatchback in an SL55, and then writing about it? The point is for the opponent to have some sort of chance.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
No contest but a good write-up makes it an enjoyable read ... :
Old 05-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 CLK350 Sport, 2006 E320 CDI, 1978 Cessna 152
Nice driving. I would have loved to play with an SL55.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by HansBlix
Thats, umm, quite an accomplishment there, an SL55 killing a C320 coupe... Takes major ***** to take on a beast like that and beat him. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky tomorrow and school a Geo Prizm or something.

I'm sorry, but what exactly was the point of beating a little hatchback in an SL55, and then writing about it? The point is for the opponent to have some sort of chance.

The point was having a bit of fun with someone that obviously wanted to play.

But, judgeing by your photo it looks as though fun would be a 4 letter word. I know you are from New England but try not being so stuffy.....and maybe......just maybe you may learn how to crack a smile and have a bit of fun...and live a little longer in the process.

And frankly, if one doesn't know how to drive (and the road gets twisty), the C320 might have had a good shot at the 55.

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 05-31-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
It's not a "Kill" kill ... it's all rather tongue-in-cheek, isn't it?

Reminds me of a well-written story I read in one of the UK auto magazines a long time back. Probably 9 or 10 years go. May have been CAR magazine.

Two of them were driving on a clear night on the backroads of England. The first car was the "new" Lambo, must have been the latest iteration of the Diablo at that time. The second car was the latest hot-hatch from Peugeot, may have been the 206.

The gist of it was: to a suprising extent, the Peugeot hatch could keep up with the Lambo when the road got twisty.

Obviously the Lambo could outrun the Peugeot any day, but the playful "contest" made it a great read. Let me know if you ever come across that article.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
It's not a "Kill" kill ... it's all rather tongue-in-cheek, isn't it?

Reminds me of a well-written story I read in one of the UK auto magazines a long time back. Probably 9 or 10 years go. May have been CAR magazine.

Two of them were driving on a clear night on the backroads of England. The first car was the "new" Lambo, must have been the latest iteration of the Diablo at that time. The second car was the latest hot-hatch from Peugeot, may have been the 206.

The gist of it was: to a suprising extent, the Peugeot hatch could keep up with the Lambo when the road got twisty.

Obviously the Lambo could outrun the Peugeot any day, but the playful "contest" made it a great read. Let me know if you ever come across that article.

That sounds like a fun article..........kind of the way this was meant. Thank you.

I love the Brit magazines. EVO is my current fave. I have managed to get some toungue in cheek letters published in almost every other issue from 85 through 91. Hopefully they like the latest one I sent them.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
The point was having a bit of fun with someone that obviously wanted to play.

But, judgeing by your photo it looks as though fun would be a 4 letter word. I know you are from New England but try not being so stuffy.....and maybe......just maybe you may learn how to crack a smile and have a bit of fun.

And frankly, if one doesn't know how to drive (and the road gets twisty), the C320 might have had a good shot at the 55.
Heehee, I like you. I see your point, I must confess I havent had enough time to take the C230 coupe out to some back roads. I gotta say though - driving flat out the C230 does a very nice impression of the S-class or the A8, very capable little bugger, just didn't think it could take on the SL55 for that long