Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minivan
Yes, my Porsche is **** yellow too. That is why I can say it and not look too bad.

The minivan is my daily driver since I am retired from work and am a stay at home dad with my two small children.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:35 PM

Depends where I'm going.
Just wanted to clarify. The car you "raced" was a 996Turbo and not a 993. The 993 doesn't have side intercooler ducts. It's a pretty common mod with 996TT owners. The side vents in question are made by Techart. They are simple inserts made for the 996TT that are painted and replace the factory ones.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?-techart-side-1.jpg   Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?-techart-side-2.jpg  

Last edited by 2thfixr; 08-15-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG/ 911 GT2/ 911 GT3
Here is an interesting video... Alex's Protomotive 996TT vs. an RX-7 with LS1 engine and NOS... hopefully link works... for my dedicated ricers.

http://media.putfile.com/Protomotive...s-LS1-NOS-RX-7
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by 1phd1jd
Look, you with the **** yellow RX-7, I did not claim that Poesche has 1400HP cars. I gave you a link that showed you fast 911's doin 10 second runs with 800HP. At the end of the day, you drive a MAZDA.
You really have some self esteem issues don't you? At the end of the day, he still has a blown SLK too. Give it up man, you're getting a little desperate.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:07 AM

02' 996 TT
False information..............

"Talk about reading posts! I do not have the GT2. Porsche made a Turbo S model in 2005. Only 500 world wide and 250 for the states, read about it, it is a track car. "

The 2005 911 Turbo S is not a track car.
It is the same thing as all other 911 Turbo's since 2002 with the x50 engine option package which included a higher HP engine, upgraded transmission, and upgraded exhaust. Nothing more than that and painted CGT wheels and a few badges that say Turbo "s". You can read all about the Porsche model lines www.6speedonline.com

This was the last production year of the 996 series TT's so they needed to do something to tie over Turbo buyers till the 997TT was available which costs the same if not less and blows away the 996 TTS in stock form

PS Toothfixer and Hamman this is the same guy who came to 6speedonline bragging how much he overpaid for his 996TT cab so take his posts with a large grain of salt

Last edited by Darren500; 08-16-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Hamann7
Here is an interesting video... Alex's Protomotive 996TT vs. an RX-7 with LS1 engine and NOS... hopefully link works... for my dedicated ricers.

http://media.putfile.com/Protomotive...s-LS1-NOS-RX-7
Hey Rocket Scientist,

That video has already been posted and discussed in this thread. It's a Chevy engine in a Mazda...it's a hybrid.
Read posts 78 and 81...

I already posted Alex's times and then I posted an Rx-7 that was faster. What part of that is so hard for you to comprehend?

Oh that's right you're the guy who made up the 1400 hp figure. Maybe next week you can make it an even 2000 hp ?

You have proven that you will lie and make up hp figures to try and strengthen your argument. It's not flushing here.

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-16-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:23 PM

The car Hamann7 is talking about does not belong to Alex Ross, it belongs to Alex D. (not posting his last name out of privacy) so the car you were posting and bench racing with serves no relevance in this thread. Hopefully Alex will chime in on this thread and set the record straight. His car is silver with black wheels and has a relatively stock looking appearance.

Below are a could of threads and a vid. The first thread talks about acceleration times of the turbo that Hamann7 has been talking about and the second is about Alex's appearance on pinks with brief discussion about some of the other cars he owns. YellowR1 I assure you nothing Hamann7 has said in this thread has been fabricated and hopefully sooner or later Alex will find this thread as i know its been brought to his attention

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ht=vralexander

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ht=vralexander

vid racing vs. a TT350Z (passenger daily drives a ten second car)

http://media.putfile.com/Protomotive-996tt-VS-tt350z
Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
doesn't matter

Those modified porsches are BEASTS but they are slower than the modified RX-7 ... which is YellowR1's point.

At least to date that is the case. If one of the porsches does a 1/4 mile in under "Abel Ibara ran a 6.95 @ 200 plus." then porsche's can boast faster times than a RX-7.

I bet that Rx-7 isn't streetable but there seem to be plenty of 9 sec Rx-7s that are streetable. I believe the numbers for porsche have yet to break the 10 sec barrier. ( I could be wrong and would love to see a 9 sec porsche)

Of course the point that YellowR1 was making interms of "saying the truth" for Hamann7 was to show which porsche had 1400hp.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I cant believe I missed this thread. First off, any car can be modded to go fast. My friends cyclone (pickup truck) breaks tens and is street legal. If I wanted a car to go in a straight line I'd get a Supra. If I wanted to track it i'd get a Porsche. You all have some very nice cars and I dont see the point of arguing about who could be faster and what not. Each car has its positives and negatives. No one car will be the best in every category.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 234 Likes on 182 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
That video has already been posted and discussed in this thread. It's a Chevy engine in a Mazda...it's a hybrid.
Read posts 78 and 81...
Although no forced induction was used in the Mazda, an LS1 would be a better starting point for a drag car as opposed the rotary motor. Boosting an LS1, which isn't too bulky and dropping it in the lightweight RX7 body would not be a bad idea since it would TREMENDOUSLY improve lower end responses...assuming you have traction figured out.

The issue here is not about fighting over who has the better car, that is childish and will lead to nothing. Of course almost anyone would take a Porsche Turbo over an RX7, the exception of course being the true RX7 fanatics. What impresses me about these RX7's is that they can move that fast, rivaling some Porsches and surpassing others. These 9 second cars can be driven daily, but who would actually drive such a car on a daily basis? Honesty, quit whining about which is better. Personally, I prefer the Porsche Turbo, hands down for me. Does that mean I spit on the RX7(?)...absolutely not. Preference and respect are two totally different things. Just because I prefer one make does not mean I spite the other. Examples such as these impress me, and I am always anxious to see what the latest bunch of gear heads like myself who share my passion have come up with.

HLG
Old 08-16-2006, 08:31 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by bmoores
The car Hamann7 is talking about does not belong to Alex Ross, it belongs to Alex D. (not posting his last name out of privacy) so the car you were posting and bench racing with serves no relevance in this thread.
Actually no cars other than my RX-7 and the Porsche I raced are relevant to the thread.

Originally Posted by bmoores
YellowR1 I assure you nothing Hamann7 has said in this thread has been fabricated
So we are going to see a 1400 hp dyno? Which by the way also has nothing to do with the race or the thread...

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
lol - I will not stop untill I see 1000hp to the four wheels..

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-16-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by HLG600
Although no forced induction was used in the Mazda, an LS1 would be a better starting point for a drag car as opposed the rotary motor. Boosting an LS1, which isn't too bulky and dropping it in the lightweight RX7 body would not be a bad idea since it would TREMENDOUSLY improve lower end responses...assuming you have traction figured out.
This has not been the case. As a matter of fact there is some mag this month which compares an LS1 to rotary and the rotary is quicker. You don't race from a 2000 rpm dig.

The issue here is not about fighting over who has the better car, that is childish and will lead to nothing.
Maybe YOU can show me where I EVER said the RX-7 was better?

Of course almost anyone would take a Porsche Turbo over an RX7, the exception of course being the true RX7 fanatics.
"The issue here is not about fighting over who has the better car, that is childish and will lead to [B]nothing"

These 9 second cars can be driven daily, but who would actually drive such a car on a daily basis?
I personally know two guys who drive 9 second RX-7's on the street. They idle fine, one even has a/c. One recently dynoed ~ 700 rwhp and they haven't finished tuning.

Honesty, quit whining about which is better.
Again, SHOW ME ONCE WHERE I SAID THE RX-7 WAS BETTER?

Personally, I prefer the Porsche Turbo, hands down for me. Does that mean I spit on the RX7(?)...absolutely not. Preference and respect are two totally different things. Just because I prefer one make does not mean I spite the other. Examples such as these impress me, and I am always anxious to see what the latest bunch of gear heads like myself who share my passion have come up with.
Bingo! I would suggest you go back and read in the first couple of posts what I said about the Porsche.

I am not the one who is beating up on Porsche or any other brand, except the interior color of ONE CAR. This thread was simple quick race and I was asking for some clarification. It then turned into "jap junk" "no way" etc. from a bunch of clowns with an inferiority complex.

I am not so lost in brand that I cannot appreciate other cars.
There is always something better, something faster. Cars are pretty low on my priority list in my life. They are nothing but a hobby and obviously transportation.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HLG
OFF thread
Would the LS1 really be a better starting point? Its considerably heavier than the rotary motor. I also have a RX-8 and its amazing how tiny that rotary motor is. I would have thought that putting in a tri-rotary would have been better. Of course the tri-rotary isn't smog legal(right?)

Still OFF thread
Would I take a 996 TT over a RX-7 ... definitely!

I just don't like how these 2 porsche drivers seem to think japanese cars are SOOoooo inferior. Do they think they are the only people with wealth? Or that someone wealthy has to buy a porsche? Please ...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
This has not been the case. As a matter of fact there is some mag this month which compares an LS1 to rotary and the rotary is quicker. You don't race from a 2000 rpm dig.

Maybe YOU can show me where I EVER said the RX-7 was better?

"The issue here is not about fighting over who has the better car, that is childish and will lead to [B]nothing"

I personally know two guys who drive 9 second RX-7's on the street. They idle fine, one even has a/c. One recently dynoed ~ 700 rwhp and they haven't finished tuning.

Again, SHOW ME ONCE WHERE I SAID THE RX-7 WAS BETTER?

Bingo! I would suggest you go back and read in the first couple of posts what I said about the Porsche.

I am not the one who is beating up on Porsche or any other brand, except the interior color of ONE CAR. This thread was simple quick race and I was asking for some clarification. It then turned into "jap junk" "no way" etc. from a bunch of clowns with an inferiority complex.

I am not so lost in brand that I cannot appreciate other cars.
There is always something better, something faster. Cars are pretty low on my priority list in my life. They are nothing but a hobby and obviously transportation.
Whoah buddy, my post was in response to 1phd1jd's comment of you still drive a Mazda. Maybe YOU can show ME where I said I was ARGUING over YOUR comments...

EDIT:

I think you misunderstood me. My first paragraph was aimed at the quote. The second was addressed to those participating and reading the thread, hence the separation and the fact that your quote about the LS1 had no relation to my second paragraph.

Last edited by HLG600; 08-16-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
OFF thread
Would the LS1 really be a better starting point? Its considerably heavier than the rotary motor. I also have a RX-8 and its amazing how tiny that rotary motor is. I would have thought that putting in a tri-rotary would have been better. Of course the tri-rotary isn't smog legal(right?)

Still OFF thread
Would I take a 996 TT over a RX-7 ... definitely!

I just don't like how these 2 porsche drivers seem to think japanese cars are SOOoooo inferior. Do they think they are the only people with wealth? Or that someone wealthy has to buy a porsche? Please ...
Sir, that is exactly my reasoning, re-read my original post, it was not edited. Although I prefer the Porsche, I still have respect for those tuned RX7's, and made that very clear.

In a drag race, torque is what it is crucial. Despite the weight punishment, an LS1/LS2 makes a wealth more of torque which is readily available.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hlg

Chuckle ... I was agreeing with you ... I thought your post was right on target. My comment on the those 2 specific porsche drivers was for them.

My first comment, about the LS1 was just that I was curious how the tri rotor would compare.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Whoah buddy, my post was in response to 1phd1jd's comment of you still drive a Mazda. Maybe YOU can show ME where I said I was ARGUING over YOUR comments...

EDIT:

I think you misunderstood me. My first paragraph was aimed at the quote. The second was addressed to those participating and reading the thread, hence the separation and the fact that your quote about the LS1 had no relation to my second paragraph.
Its no big deal - confusion like this never happens in person - only over the dayum internet where email is "cold". My responses have been directed at some of the Porsche guys that are brand blind (every brand has its "fanatics"), make wild azz/unsubstantiated claims about cars (which have nothing to do with the thread from day 1), and get bent out of shape when they are shown historical racing facts (then digress into calling another brand a "****box", etc).

Geezuz, 911s are awesome cars as I said at the begining of the post yet some of these guys start attacking my RX-7. WTF is all that about? Its like they never graduated from Jr. High. The RX7 was/is an excellent all around performer & it was basicly designed from ground zero to be a track car. I guess some of the 911 guys have a problem with that fact (retort to saying "anything can be made fast to go in a straight line"). Well, no shiate, really? Both the RX7 and the Supra are beasts on road courses as well. They then see this documented proof (a decade + of head-to-head IMSA results, for example) & then retort to stating the obvious, "Well, the Porsche is made better". F-me! I hope so for $100 - $200k & 13 - 14 yrs of development on a firmly established 40 yr+ platform.

I drive my RX7 because its rare, is fun as hell, and performs like a supercar. Why would I spend $180k+ for a GT2 when its doesn't perform better than my RX-7? Especially when I wrench on the RX7 myself (no need to pay Franz at the local Porsche Dealer $5k for a clutch swap). I can easliy afford a Lamborghini but me & the wife are happy with what we have & that is all that matters. Cars are a hobby. I'd rather spend more time & money scuba diving off a chartered yacht in the Carribean than some high dollar car that just sits in the garage most of the time.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 08-16-2006, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Chuckle ... I was agreeing with you ... I thought your post was right on target. My comment on the those 2 specific porsche drivers was for them.

My first comment, about the LS1 was just that I was curious how the tri rotor would compare.
Thank you. Both are respectable motors, just different characteristics.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Its no big deal - confusion like this never happens in person - only over the dayum internet where email is "cold". My responses have been directed at some of the Porsche guys that are brand blind (every brand has its "fanatics"), make wild azz/unsubstantiated claims about cars (which have nothing to do with the thread from day 1), and get bent out of shape when they are shown historical racing facts (then digress into calling another brand a "****box", etc).

Geezuz, 911s are awesome cars as I said at the begining of the post yet some of these guys start attacking my RX-7. WTF is all that about? Its like they never graduated from Jr. High. The RX7 was/is an excellent all around performer & it was basicly designed from ground zero to be a track car. I guess some of the 911 guys have a problem with that fact (retort to saying "anything can be made fast to go in a straight line"). Well, no shiate, really? Both the RX7 and the Supra are beasts on road courses as well. They then see this documented proof (a decade + of head-to-head IMSA results, for example) & then retort to stating the obvious, "Well, the Porsche is made better". F-me! I hope so for $100 - $200k & 13 - 14 yrs of development on a firmly established 40 yr+ platform.

I drive my RX7 because its rare, is fun as hell, and performs like a supercar. Why would I spend $180k+ for a GT2 when its doesn't perform better than my RX-7? Especially when I wrench on the RX7 myself (no need to pay Franz at the local Porsche Dealer $5k for a clutch swap). I can easliy afford a Lamborghini but me & the wife are happy with what we have & that is all that matters. Cars are a hobby. I'd rather spend more time & money scuba diving off a chartered yacht in the Carribean than some high dollar car that just sits in the garage most of the time.

See ya,
-Matt
Yeah, miscommunication happens too often. I'm glad you enjoy life and do things for fun not show - I share that philosophy. But rest assured my friend, the day I am fortunate enough to buy my own Lamborghini, the last thing it will do is sit in a garage all day.

HLG
Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
I am enjoying this post. LOL
Old 08-17-2006, 12:27 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
HLG,
Good read.

http://www.yawpower.com/tqvshp.html
Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 AM

Curious if anyone here knows if the pre 480Hp Porsche 997 Turbos have a single rake/grill within the side intake vent over the rear tires (ie for the brakes)?

I had Franz driving a black 911 Turbo weaving traffic yesterday to get behind me on the 270 degree freeway on ramp yesterday morning. His car started sidestepping a bit as we pushed our cars (sorry, I was with the wife in my RX7, not our SLK). He had to let up a bit , but then proceeded to nail it as I had let off a bit as we strightened out for the long entry to the Hwy. I floored it, stopped his momentum, & then put about 7 cars on him from 45 mph to about 130 mph. There was little to no traffic but I let up. He proceeded to "run away" (weaving through what little traffic there was at 90 mph+ so I said forget it - I'm not into sustaining a high rate of speed on public roads - despite sparse traffic). My RX7 is now running 410 rwhp @ 16 lbs.

I had noticed the rear brake intake having a single horizontal vane. Was that a new 480Hp Turbo or the prior 450Hp (X50 option)? The internet queries I've been running have not helped much to show if the prior versions had this "vane". Is the new Turbo out?

Thanks,
-Matt
Probably a Cayman
Old 08-17-2006, 12:36 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by rwm514
Probably a Cayman
It wouldn't have mattered the outcome would have been the same...bus lengths are bus lengths

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-17-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 PM

It wouldn't have mattered the outcome would have been the same...bus lengths are bus lengths

BTW, those intakes above the rear wheels are not for the brakes, they are intakes for the intercoolers.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by rwm514
Probably a Cayman
I think you meant Gayman.

Good catch on the intakes not being for the brakes, I hadn't noticed someone had mistakenly written that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?