Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SoCal: Live Oak Canyon Road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc
SoCal: Live Oak Canyon Road

Has anyone in Southern California ever driven there? Its at the end of El Toro Road at the Cooks Corner junction in Rancho Santa Margarita.

Anyway, a friend and I went driving (not racing per say) tonight out in "the hills" in the area above mentioned. The road is pretty crazy, a small two lane road winding through the trees and many corners; a fun adrenaline rush but really quite dangerous if not taken carefully. The first thing we saw when the road started was a grave site with flowers and wreathes . Alot of trees close to the road to plow into as well. I took a corner too hard and had some bad understeer- that was "interesting".

After that we also did a few stoplight pulls 0-90ish- His 247hp Ridgeline Truck and my car (C240- dont laugh- 168hp) are pretty much even- he gets small lead 0-40 and then 70-90+ I take him.

Well, not a kill story really but just was interested if anyone had driven this road before and what do you think about it?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by rodngun762
Has anyone in Southern California ever driven there? Its at the end of El Toro Road at the Cooks Corner junction in Rancho Santa Margarita.

Anyway, a friend and I went driving (not racing per say) tonight out in "the hills" in the area above mentioned. The road is pretty crazy, a small two lane road winding through the trees and many corners; a fun adrenaline rush but really quite dangerous if not taken carefully. The first thing we saw when the road started was a grave site with flowers and wreathes . Alot of trees close to the road to plow into as well. I took a corner too hard and had some bad understeer- that was "interesting".

After that we also did a few stoplight pulls 0-90ish- His 247hp Ridgeline Truck and my car (C240- dont laugh- 168hp) are pretty much even- he gets small lead 0-40 and then 70-90+ I take him.

Well, not a kill story really but just was interested if anyone had driven this road before and what do you think about it?

C240 POWA!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Fun road. But I avoid it at night. To many idiots trying to drive beyond their ability resulting in some nasty accidents. Be careful!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Santiago and the Canyons of OC.

Those roads are fun in the daytime.
I will play on Santiago once in a while.
Like at lunch when not a ton of traffic on it.
I pull over and wait for a nice open line with no traffic.

But at night. Its insane. Lots of deer to add to the
"Oh Sh*t" factor. Avoid around 11:00PM or later. Drunks.

On the weekends its solid bikes. Then its even crazier because all
the ricer bikes want a shot at my SL55.

Unless you are really familiar with all the turns and drive
these canyons frequently. I would not attempt a night high speed assault.

Those flowers and markers are a grimm reminder.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

w210 E55
Originally Posted by L8Apex
To many idiots trying to drive beyond their ability resulting in some nasty accidents. Be careful!
Yeah, watch out for old men in their mid-life crisis trying to prove something in their family sedans.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
Originally Posted by amgdriven
Yeah, watch out for old men in their mid-life crisis trying to prove something in their family sedans.
Close, but the old guys are either driving a Vette or a Harley. Plus, driving a four door sedan is a ****ty way to go through a mid life crisis. When I go thru mine it will be in a Ruf!

On that road it's the 17-20 year olds that wrap themselves around a tree. At least that is what is reported in the paper.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:08 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by L8Apex
Close, but the old guys are either driving a Vette or a Harley. Plus, driving a four door sedan is a ****ty way to go through a mid life crisis. When I go thru mine it will be in a Ruf!

On that road it's the 17-20 year olds that wrap themselves around a tree. At least that is what is reported in the paper.