Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

C6 vs M3.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
C6 vs M3.

I had a C6 vett fly up on my tail like the usual STI does. He got next to me and floored it a bit, we came to a red light. The guy was creeping up at the light bam green 8k RPM shift lights turn red DSC is kicking in bam right into 2nd gear I look to my right and no vett... I look in my mirror he is 1 car behind I let off before shifting into 3nd by this time I am doing a tad above the posted limit. He keeps going WOT and passes me. Just my luck we get another red light, I tried to give him a thumbs up but he would not look over. Same deal both WOT at the light I pulled 1 car lenght at the start but when I was in the middle of 2nd I looked back and he was up 2-3 lenghts behind. I let off and he flew past me again.

All I can say is yes a C6 vett should kill an M3 but its obvious the guy had more money than skill and could not drive. My guess on the second run in is he screwed his 1st to 2nd shift up and probably dropped it into 4th or something, and on the first run in he could not launch his car.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
...but its obvious the guy had more money than skill and could not drive.
Wouldn't be the first time that's happened...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
Wouldn't be the first time that's happened...

Agreed. A C6 is just as fast as the C5 Z06. If he knows how to drive, I would think he would pull away from your M3 easily. The M3 is a great car and the new one will be a monster
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM

Merce-rati
as long as the new M3 dosnt have dsc as in the new m5 stick, im gona get one
Old 12-20-2006, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I think C6 drivers are losers (no offense). especially ones here in NYC. all they know how to do is "drag" race.

I still <3 the M3 no matter what!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by advans
I think C6 drivers are losers (no offense). especially ones here in NYC. all they know how to do is "drag" race.

well, if all they know how to do is "drag race" in NYC then I agree. the C6 (even non Z06 variant) is a pretty awesome track car. the c6 and even the c6 Z06 are very hard cars to launch off the line at the drag strip. my AMG made me look like a expert
Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Originally Posted by advans

? ur joking right. they're losers because they like to drag race? put them on a track w/those cars and they'll be able to run circles around 99% of the cars on the street either way.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by itsmeek
? ur joking right. they're losers because they like to drag race? put them on a track w/those cars and they'll be able to run circles around 99% of the cars on the street either way.
Totally agree w/you....What a lame comment by the other poster

Not many, actually hardly any of these kill stories ever involve twisties kills, why? most of the kills occur on city streets, not many block to block light to light twisties around.....
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
i know c6 is faster, but i'll still take ur m3 over that anytime
that c6 driver obviously can't drive stick
Old 12-23-2006, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
all you talk abt is "on track", were talking abt city streets. yea vettes are fast. and yes, ummm LIKE I HAVE SAID. were talking abt city streets, so theres no "tracks" and yes the local C6 owners are dicks.

and i also love the fact that you like making a big fuss about something small, something local level.

oh yeah...i didnt mention anything abt "tracks" so i have no idea wtf ur thinking.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Generalizing drivers of a particular car is retarded. I've had a 60 year old guy in a red M3 egg me on when I was in my vette completely unprovoked (he got smoked BTW), another young kid I know whose parents bought him a M3 always tries to race everything and brags about his car 24/7, I could go on and on. But then again I have friends with M3s that are cool and don't act like dicks, just like I have friends with C6s that don't act like dicks.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by vmspionage
Generalizing drivers of a particular car is retarded...
I agree 100% - anyone who generalizes drivers because of the cars they drive needs to look in the mirror themselves. Stereotyping Vette owners, or any make, in that manner is no different than what is sometimes said on other boards about Benz owners being either spoiled brats driving daddy's car, or old farts who don't know how to drive anyway. Now we all now that's not right!
Old 12-23-2006, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by vmspionage
Generalizing drivers of a particular car is retarded. I've had a 60 year old guy in a red M3 egg me on when I was in my vette completely unprovoked (he got smoked BTW), another young kid I know whose parents bought him a M3 always tries to race everything and brags about his car 24/7, I could go on and on. But then again I have friends with M3s that are cool and don't act like dicks, just like I have friends with C6s that don't act like dicks.
You "smoked" a M3 with a 99 vett??? C5 vetts are driver races with M3's and the M3 has the advantage from the dig since the vett is more prone to wheel spin.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
You "smoked" a M3 with a 99 vett??? C5 vetts are driver races with M3's and the M3 has the advantage from the dig since the vett is more prone to wheel spin.
Probably a roll-on, freeway or low speed jump on the streets
Old 12-23-2006, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

um no..it's not a drivers race straight line. the m3 will get owned every time. where do you get your data from? unless we talkin e46's even then i'd take the vete 9 times out of 10.

Last edited by itsmeek; 12-23-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
um no..it's not a drivers race straight line. the m3 will get owned every time. where do you get your data from? unless we talkin e46's even then i'd take the vete 9 times out of 10.
We are talking E46... And its a drivers race.. The C6 I had a run in is about as fast as the old C5 Z06, when the guy got his car moving without wheelspin it would only very slowly start to walk up. I have only had 1 run in with a C5 and it was a convertible and he got pwnd.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
We are talking E46... And its a drivers race.. The C6 I had a run in is about as fast as the old C5 Z06, when the guy got his car moving without wheelspin it would only very slowly start to walk up. I have only had 1 run in with a C5 and it was a convertible and he got pwnd.
Umm, no....a C5 Z06 would absolutely *** rape an E46 M3. A mid-12 car won't "slowly walk up" to a mid-13 car, it will run it. Only way you'd have a chance is if the Z06 was in the wrong gear.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hold on...ur talking about a c5 z06? bwahahahaha, you have absolutely NO chance against one of those. let me show you what you would be seeing on mine even if i started in second and gave you a carlength...

Old 12-24-2006, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Yes it was from a dig, and wheel spin has never been a problem for me. My C5 is lightly modded and I have no clue what was done to his. Maybe he wasn't really trying, but I still don't see how a heavy 3800lbs vert m3 with no low end torque would put up a fight in the quarter mile from a dig

It was a late model e46 (it had the LED tail lights)

And no my C5 isn't even a Z06, it's a coupe
Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
First off a few of you need to read what has been posted before you reply.

I know how fast C5 Z06's are my father used to have one, and yes with a bad driver an M3 will beat a C5 Z06 a few videos are floating around on the web of an stock M3 vs Z06 and the M3 wins. Stop going by magazine numbers was my original theme for this topic. A. I know a C6 or a C5 Zo6 will beat an M3. My point was he was a bad driver and had more money than skill like most sports car owners.

If lets say you have 2 cars 1 can do 0-60 in 5 seconds (avg driver) and the other can do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. If the driver of the car that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds messes up it and the 5 second car does not mess up then they will be even, but if the 4.5 second car keeps messing up it will be beat. Just like the driver of the C6 I ran into. Also M3's are not drag cars they dont have the best 0-60 or 1/4 mile but they do have good elasticity since they are built to run on a track and most speed on a race track is going from the slowest of 20 mph -150 mph. Once an M3 hit the power band and keeps in it, its a dam quick car.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
First off a few of you need to read what has been posted before you reply.
I did read what you posted. Here it is again:
Sorry, but even if he did have wheelspin, he would not be "very slowly" walking up, he would be gaining rapidly. I've never, once, lost to an E46 M3, from a dig or a roll, and have raced Z06s several times. *Once*, I ran a guy who did exactly what you're describing. He spun like mad, and I killed him off the line so badly that it took him up until 90 or so to catch up, but he was gaining rapidly once hooked up, and once he did, he blew by me like I was standing still.

I know how fast C5 Z06's are my father used to have one, and yes with a bad driver an M3 will beat a C5 Z06 a few videos are floating around on the web of an stock M3 vs Z06 and the M3 wins. Stop going by magazine numbers was my original theme for this topic.
I get so tired of people slamming mags, which conduct accurate, measured tests of these vehicles. They *do* give an accurate representation, and *will* give a good prediction of two cars' relative performance capabilities.

Sure, sometimes people pull faster times, but considering that all of the mags run the cars at factory-spec tire pressure *and* with a full tank of gas, well, if you get a good driver who pumps his fronts up to 50 psi, his rears down, and runs on 1/4 tank, he can beat the times.

But that's apples to oranges, now isn't it? The mags *do* show that when both vehicles are fully fueled, with their rated pressures, which one is likely going to be faster, assuming good drivers.

Now, you are correct in saying on the street, slower cars can, and do, smoke faster cars when the driver of the faster car screws up, but in the example you mention, unless the Z06 driver first screws up his launch hugely *and* shifts like a total idiot, once he hooks up, he's going to pull up on you quickly.

Also, afaik the old Z06 was geared more agressively than the new C6 (Ricker, correct me if I'm wrong ), so the old Z would have a bit of an edge over the new C6 from a roll, although I believe there is an optional package w/gearing that gets their gearing much closer...but I digress.

Bottom line is that once hooked, a C5 Z06 would reel you in quickly, and blow by.

If lets say you have 2 cars 1 can do 0-60 in 5 seconds (avg driver) and the other can do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. If the driver of the car that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds messes up it and the 5 second car does not mess up then they will be even, but if the 4.5 second car keeps messing up it will be beat. Just like the driver of the C6 I ran into.
Sure, this is entirely plausible. I was only taking issue with your saying that once hooked up, a Z06 would only "walk" up to you...if you got out far enough on the launch & were in a short race, it might appear like that, but trust me: those things put on speed much faster than the M3, and will reel it in, hard, from a roll.

Also M3's are not drag cars they dont have the best 0-60 or 1/4 mile but they do have good elasticity since they are built to run on a track and most speed on a race track is going from the slowest of 20 mph -150 mph. Once an M3 hit the power band and keeps in it, its a dam quick car.
Yes, but the Z is dam quicker.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Improviz

Sorry, but even if he did have wheelspin, he would not be "very slowly" walking up, he would be gaining rapidly. I've never, once, lost to an E46 M3, from a dig or a roll, and have raced Z06s several times. *Once*, I ran a guy who did exactly what you're describing. He spun like mad, and I killed him off the line so badly that it took him up until 90 or so to catch up, but he was gaining rapidly once hooked up, and once he did, he blew by me like I was standing still.

Again read my post. I let off before I hit 3rd gear. Which means I went from 0-60ish thats it. I am sure if we kept going he would of pulled like mad but the guy could not drive worth crap.

I get so tired of people slamming mags, which conduct accurate, measured tests of these vehicles. They *do* give an accurate representation, and *will* give a good prediction of two cars' relative performance capabilities.

Sure, sometimes people pull faster times, but considering that all of the mags run the cars at factory-spec tire pressure *and* with a full tank of gas, well, if you get a good driver who pumps his fronts up to 50 psi, his rears down, and runs on 1/4 tank, he can beat the times.

But that's apples to oranges, now isn't it? The mags *do* show that when both vehicles are fully fueled, with their rated pressures, which one is likely going to be faster, assuming good drivers.

Now, you are correct in saying on the street, slower cars can, and do, smoke faster cars when the driver of the faster car screws up, but in the example you mention, unless the Z06 driver first screws up his launch hugely *and* shifts like a total idiot, once he hooks up, he's going to pull up on you quickly.

Also, afaik the old Z06 was geared more agressively than the new C6 (Ricker, correct me if I'm wrong ), so the old Z would have a bit of an edge over the new C6 from a roll, although I believe there is an optional package w/gearing that gets their gearing much closer...but I digress.

Bottom line is that once hooked, a C5 Z06 would reel you in quickly, and blow by.

yea I have no doubt they will, again my father used to have one it was a dam fast car. But in my race I had with a C6 was a few very short 0-60ish sprints.

Sure, this is entirely plausible. I was only taking issue with your saying that once hooked up, a Z06 would only "walk" up to you...if you got out far enough on the launch & were in a short race, it might appear like that, but trust me: those things put on speed much faster than the M3, and will reel it in, hard, from a roll.

Even for a car as powerful as a z06 it takes a lot of power to overcome a mistake in a short race.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Improviz

Yo bro....I've given some time to research the slight edge the C5 Z06 has over the C6...I'll list them categorically ala' Impro style my man

1) C5z06 has larger 295 tires out back compared to the C6 w/285's

2) C5Z06 has smaller wheels (on 18"s) while us C6r's are on 19"s this retards final gear ratio as you allready know

3) I'm not sure on this one but I think the C5Z06 didn't have runcraps tires like the C6 there awefull for traction..

4) the C6 should be slightly faster actualy our torque comes in @ 4400 rpm's opposed to the C5Z06 there 400 torque @ 4800 rpm's

Put it this way we'd be 100% even if were both running the same gears (3.42 manual or 3.15 auto) & ran the exact same SMALLER yet WIDER stickier, wheel/tire combo from the C5 Z06

I could go further into another issue ("Torque Management", it restricts, reduces, available hp, to, at launch to try & prevent drivetrain damage) this is heavily documented, and easily removed w/prof tuning software..

Anyhow I feel certain the C6 would easily = the C5Z06 in perf w/just wheel/tire swap....I've seen numerous races where the 1/4 mile difference is just .02-.03 tenths.......

Have a Happy Hollidays Impro!! see ya round bud...
Old 12-24-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Lol, great work!!! Kewl, man, you too have a very Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by Thericker
Yo bro....I've given some time to research the slight edge the C5 Z06 has over the C6...I'll list them categorically ala' Impro style my man

1) C5z06 has larger 295 tires out back compared to the C6 w/285's

2) C5Z06 has smaller wheels (on 18"s) while us C6r's are on 19"s this retards final gear ratio as you allready know

3) I'm not sure on this one but I think the C5Z06 didn't have runcraps tires like the C6 there awefull for traction..

4) the C6 should be slightly faster actualy our torque comes in @ 4400 rpm's opposed to the C5Z06 there 400 torque @ 4800 rpm's

Put it this way we'd be 100% even if were both running the same gears (3.42 manual or 3.15 auto) & ran the exact same SMALLER yet WIDER stickier, wheel/tire combo from the C5 Z06

I could go further into another issue ("Torque Management", it restricts, reduces, available hp, to, at launch to try & prevent drivetrain damage) this is heavily documented, and easily removed w/prof tuning software..

Anyhow I feel certain the C6 would easily = the C5Z06 in perf w/just wheel/tire swap....I've seen numerous races where the 1/4 mile difference is just .02-.03 tenths.......

Have a Happy Hollidays Impro!! see ya round bud...
Old 12-25-2006, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dunno if it's real world enough but. running my exhaust only c5 z06 against a 6m c6 w/wheel/tire upgrades, headers, exhaust. the c5 consistently would pull ahead and win w/no problems. the same results with 2 other c6's. dunno, maybe a factory freak.

Last edited by itsmeek; 12-25-2006 at 12:08 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6 vs M3.