Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CL600 vs. C5 Corvette (Z06?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
The way Ingineeramg, wrote it,I believe he was intimating, DRIVER SKILL WAS EQUAL...And that his sl55 would beat both Z06's w/equal skill levels...Obviously driver skill is huge in Auto X challenges..

That is why I reacted the way I did..
I didn't get any indication of his saying that....actually, it was ambiguous: he said he hung w/the guys in Z06s, but didn't give any indication of their skill level. But I'm assuming that the skill level had to be tipped in his favor for this to hold true, unless he's running R-compounds and they're on street radials or something like that. If the drivers were equal, the Z06s should win hands down.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Improviz
I didn't get any indication of his saying that....actually, it was ambiguous: he said he hung w/the guys in Z06s, but didn't give any indication of their skill level. But I'm assuming that the skill level had to be tipped in his favor for this to hold true, unless he's running R-compounds and they're on street radials or something like that. If the drivers were equal, the Z06s should win hands down.
Your right I quickly wrote that, my bad..Ingineeramg said "He'd beat the C5Z06's and hang/hung w/the C6 Z06"

We also got no inclination from Inginereamg, to the counter.....That he was basing his incredible performance edge over the C5 Z06 and ability to hang even w/C6Z06 due to his Extereme advantage in experience & SEAT time....

The way he posted it, It would easily lead the average on looker to think he meant his SLIGHTLY moded sl55 as he put it, was all the edge he needed....If so??

Last edited by Thericker; 01-01-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
improviz,

i think that both your posts and several others here have implied that they can keep up w/vettes. and please don't think i'm ignorant enough to think that driver input has nothing to do with this. however common sense would tell the average person that when we are talking cars and performance we are referring to the performance of the cars and not the drivers. that being said, an sl55 will never hang w/a c5 z06 on a twisty track both drivers being equal. and about the c6 z06- forget about it.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Your right I quickly wrote that, my bad..Ingineeramg said "He'd beat the C5Z06's and hang/hung w/the C6 Z06"

We also got no inclination from Inginereamg, to the counter.....
Yes, which is what I was saying when I wrote:
actually, it was ambiguous: he said he hung w/the guys in Z06s, but didn't give any indication of their skill level.
That he was basing his incredible performance edge over the C5 Z06 and ability to hang even w/C6Z06 due to his Extereme advantage in experience & SEAT time....
Well, as I said I sort of assumed that's what he meant, but you are correct: he didn't say it was due to experience. As I've already written: with equal drivers, forget it. The C6 is a faster track car on short tracks than the SL55, as you can see from reading the following:
http://www.track-challenge.com/compa...ar1=88&Car2=48

There you go: two tests, same driver, same two tracks, one short, one long, C6 faster than SL55 on short track, SL55 faster on long track.

So, with equal skill, stock to stock, the C6 is clearly faster on a short track like that being discussed here. Question is, how much skill does this guy have?

The way he posted it, It would easily lead the average on looker to think he meant his SLIGHTLY moded sl55 as he put it, was all the edge he needed....If so??
Well, depends upon you fill in the blanks, but yeah, if so, no way...if he's a track star and the other guys were novice-to-so-so drivers, absolutely.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-01-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
After watching Sabine handle that van, all I can say is that I'm in love lol.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by itsmeek
improviz,

i think that both your posts and several others here have implied that they can keep up w/vettes.
I don't appreciate your putting words in my proverbial mouth. I said that ****IF**** this guy is a hot**** track driver, then yes, he would be able to pull them, and I've posted two, not one, but two, videos which prove this decisively.

So please don't go twisting what I said around. I clearly stated that with equal drivers, the Z06 would be faster, in two previous posts, and I'll quote both of them below.

and please don't think i'm ignorant enough to think that driver input has nothing to do with this.
Which is why you argued with me for two posts about it after I wrote that driver skill has a lot to do with this, and that given equal drivers, the Z06 would be faster?

however common sense would tell the average person that when we are talking cars and performance we are referring to the performance of the cars and not the drivers.
Absolutely false. If I say that *I* beat guys at the track in my car, it means prima facie that *I* am driving it, and hence, the outcome is *inexorably linked* to my skill as a driver; you cannot separate the two, *unless* it's me driving *both* cars!

that being said, an sl55 will never hang w/a c5 z06 on a twisty track both drivers being equal. and about the c6 z06- forget about it.
I agree, and wrote the same thing earlier, in two different posts:
So if IngenereAMG is a track hound, it's entirely possible. But yeah, with equal drivers, stock to stock, on a track the C6 would win bigtime.
So, let's recap what I wrote: I wrote that *if* this guy is a really good driver, it is *entirely* possible that he could pull Z06s on a track, even though they are faster and handle better...I also wrote that given equal drivers, the Z06 would win.
Two posts. Try reading what I actually write before you start accusing me of writing things that I haven't.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by HLG600
After watching Sabine handle that van, all I can say is that I'm in love lol.
Yeah, she's a babe and a killa driver toboot....too bad she's married!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Yeah, she's a babe and a killa driver toboot....too bad she's married!!
I knew it had to be too good to be true. Maybe she has a sister!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes E63 S, Boring SUV, 2015 CLS63 AMR Stage 1 (traded), 2015 Audi S8 w/ APR stage 2 (sold)
I hate to argue about such stupid **** on these boards. We all have something in common (fast cars) so lets leave it at that.

I just get a kick out of shocking people who don't realize how fast my car is. It's not badged as a "Bi-Turbo" like the CL65, so it's sort of a sleeper. My car may get a few more challenges though because I did put the Renntech badge on the car.

The only car I struggled with was against the C6 Z06, which I kept up from 30ish to 100mph or so, but I slightly lost from a dead stop. Every other race I've had was clearly my win including a CLS55 and my friend's 2006 M5, which I beat pretty bad (more than I expected).
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Andrew-NY
I hate to argue about such stupid **** on these boards. We all have something in common (fast cars) so lets leave it at that.

I just get a kick out of shocking people who don't realize how fast my car is. It's not badged as a "Bi-Turbo" like the CL65, so it's sort of a sleeper. My car may get a few more challenges though because I did put the Renntech badge on the car.

The only car I struggled with was against the C6 Z06, which I kept up from 30ish to 100mph or so, but I slightly lost from a dead stop. Every other race I've had was clearly my win including a CLS55 and my friend's 2006 M5, which I beat pretty bad (more than I expected).
I never doged your car, I actualy love the CL600, wish their prices were as low as they are now before I bought my C6, I'd of loved to scooped one up and upgraded it like you have...

All in Black of course

Just remember if you ever find yourself lining up against a newer C6, or C5 for that matter...You never know what mods might be under the hood I allready know what these Mercs are capable of, noooo joke! very powerful indeed
Old 01-03-2007, 02:16 PM

2003 CL600
Wow, this post got to become pretty intense. The guy that I raced ended up going to the dealer that I bought my car from and asked if the car was tuned (I have dealer paper plates on). His car was infact a C5 Z06 with minor mods. I guess he had his G-Tech or something plugged in because he said he clocked that run (0-60mph) at 4.6 secs and I had him by about 2-3 cars. That guy was convinced that my car had been worked on, but its completely stock. After the guys at the lot told him that it was stock, he wanted to sell his Vette and get into a CL600!

I raced this guy because I wanted to test my CL. I thought it would be a closer race since it looked (and actually was) a Z06 C5. Anyhow, it was rewarding and I cant wait to see what it does with a RENNTech tune. I guess us 600 and AMG owners have the best of both worlds...speed and comfort!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Dude...do you think that there is *any* driver skill involved in pulling a fast time at a race track, or do you think it is all vehicle?

Do you think that Michael Schumacher could pull a faster time in an Z06 than you in a Z06? Do you think he could pull a faster time in an SL55 than you in an Z06?

If you'd ever been to a track event, which I doubt, you would *routinely* see faster cars getting lapped by slower cars. Speed is ONE element in a race track victory, but driver skill is far, far more important.

Did you even bother to watch the video I listed a few moments ago? It showed Sabine Schmidt pulling almost the identical lap time at Nurburgring in a delivery van that Jeremy Clarkson, who drives and tests cars for a living, got in a Jaguar!

Heck, even 2nd-tier F1 drivers like Eddie Irvine (remember him?) and DC would probably lap anyone here in Sabine's van...

Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE

Heck, even 2nd-tier F1 drivers like Eddie Irvine (remember him?) and DC would probably lap anyone here in Sabine's van...

Hell, yeah! People don't realize how much skill is involved in turning a really fast lap, particularly in driving a high-powered automobile to its limits.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
agreed. but what does that have to do w/the performance of the cars themselves? :P

and for the record, i don't doubt that a cl600 can handle a c5 z06 on the straights. a c6 z06 is a different story.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
agreed. but what does that have to do w/the performance of the cars themselves? :P
Everything, assuming it's being driven by a human being!

and for the record, i don't doubt that a cl600 can handle a c5 z06 on the straights. a c6 z06 is a different story.
Yup, if the driver in question drives and shifts quickly enough to handle all of that power that is! For example, I ran a guy in a Viper once from 5-60, and he got me by a whopping one carlength because he didn't drive it very well.

Conversely, I ran a guy from 0-70ish once in a modded C5 Z06 which would definitely run with a Viper, and he killed me.

Difference: first guy screwed up, second guy did it right.