Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Could be a stupid question, or it could be my imagination and placebo effect?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be a stupid question, or it could be my imagination and placebo effect?

I'm entirely serious here. Why is it that ever since I got my c32, cars that have NO business racing me all of a sudden want to pull up to the line? Stock hondas, trucks, a jeep, etc. Is this just my imagination and me wanting to race? I swear that it's not though.

For instance, on my way home today, I'm driving about 45 in Drive and a Jeep Cherokee goes flying by me and then slows down. We pull up to the light together as it is late at night, and again, he guns it off the line and runs to about 80-90 mph before easing up. I kept pace for a little bit just to see what he was doing. Next time we stop he is inching up like he is anticipating the light, so I drop down into first, traction still on, and dust him to about 100 before slowing down. Thinking how stupid that was and what a waste of gas, he goes tearing by me again at the next opportunity. Finally, we pull to a light and he does the same ****. Maybe he had a girl in the car, I couldn't even see. I drop the traction, drop into 1st again, and we go at the light. He was ahead for about.....10 feet, before dropping maybe 30 car lengths behind. I then shifted back into drive and drove home at 25 mph the rest of the way trying to save gas.

Most certainly not the most exciting story here, perhaps the least, but maybe the oddest?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
I have (jointly with my brother) a mid 10 sec '68 Z/28 Camaro that is street legal. It's a real sleeper. There are times when we drive that car that some of the most stupid runs from lights come up. Every bottle fed "ricer" in town wants to take a run at us. Every now and again we will wind it out for "educational" purposes and to clean the fuel out of the Holley double pumper secondaries.

It does feel a bit stupid when I drop $10 worth of 104 octane educating some 20 something about "Old School"
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 AM

07 SLK55, 08 R32
You know whats weird when I took the SLK55 into the dealer for some work they gave me a 07 C230 yes I know you have a C32 but for some damn reason people everywhere were trying to race me that never happens when im in my SLK55. I assumed that it was because the car was bright red but I had nothing to back up the flashy looks with, unlike you!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Happens to me too...the cars I always want to race are always going the other way! Idiot POS are always trying to pick on me. Most of the time I don't even bite, gas is $$$.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Happens to me too...the cars I always want to race are always going the other way! Idiot POS are always trying to pick on me. Most of the time I don't even bite, gas is $$$.
Well, I am glad that I'm not the only one. I thought maybe I was out there looking for a race. Well, maybe sometimes. Like you said, it's kind of a sleeper. I really wanted to race the BMW 530i that was so proud of himself and looking at me like he was the king of the world. He didn't do it but I would have taken pleasure in dusting him. And just wait until my mods get here this weekend.