Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

C32 Vs S63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by Improviz
I looked around and found that Motor Trend has a video review of the S63. In it, they say it runs 0-60 in 4.5, and the 1/4 in 13.0 @ 109. So, if this is a typical time for that car (couldn't find any other tests to compare), and if you got a *very* slight jump on him (less than 1/2 second), your results are about what would be expected.

If you'd both started at exactly the same moment (and the odds of that are pretty slim, with differing reaction times among humans) he should have walked you, unless your car is either a) modded, or b) a total factory freak, or he was running 87 octane, or hauling lots of extra weight, yadda yadda ya...

I think my car def fits the criteria of option B! lol. Thanks for digging the info.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM

C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by zoink
For whatever reason (wrong gear, slow reaction time, etc.), an initial 1 car-length jump as OP mentioned should be enough to beat S63. This means C32 was ahead by 1 car length and faster speed (5mph faster? ). So it's not surprising S63 didn't have enough time to pass C32 at 100.

I was on W210 E55 one time at around 40mph and one fool accord coupe (V6 manual) did about 2 car length jump before I decided to floor my car also. I was in a wrong gear... so my car down shifted at around 3 car length behind and I only passed him after 120mph.

So to me... the story is believable.
I should’ve probably re-phrased it differently. But I didn't get a full car length on the S63 from my rear bumper to his front bumper. We were perfectly lined up doing 35, but as soon as we looked at each other and decided to floor it, the S63 was now at my rear bumper. He basically stayed there glued to my rear bumper on his lane all the way to 100. I didn’t gain on him and he didn’t gain on me after the first pull which put me ahead. It wasn’t a launch and chase case at all!!

Btw, I think you passed the accord because those cars hit their limiters at 115-120. He must've done some serious mods to his car to make an E55 chase him up to 120 to pass him. You shouldn't have to go to 120 to beat a stock accord in an E55 even if you’re on the wrong gear from only 3 car lengths, unless you were still doing 40 when he reached 100, then I can see why It took your E55 to 120 to pass him. I'm usually out of their sight by the time I reach 120 whenever a low-end car lines up even if I give him a bus-length head start!!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by STLTH_AMG
It would be great if you can post a link to your source, there is little info on the net about the S63 quarter mile. I have however found info showing the S65 doing 100 in less than 10 sec but not an S63!
Here's one. It's only an estimate, but it seems like an educated one. In any case, it's way faster than a C32.

http://www.autozine.org/html/Mercedes/S_class.html
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Put it on a dyno or time it at the track. An S63, if that's what it was, has a huge advantage in power/weight ratio. Even given the C32's great rolling starts, and mind you I own a C32, I would expect the S63 to pull.

What I cannot believe, is that you pulled a C6 Vette from 0-80. Either he started a second late, or the driver was awful, because manual tranny is about a full second faster 0-60 than the C32 and would continue to pull after 60mph. Even if it had the paddle shifters, which would reduce the likelihood of a bad launch, it would be at least a second faster.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 AM

C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by TrojanStealth
Put it on a dyno or time it at the track. An S63, if that's what it was, has a huge advantage in power/weight ratio. Even given the C32's great rolling starts, and mind you I own a C32, I would expect the S63 to pull.

What I cannot believe, is that you pulled a C6 Vette from 0-80. Either he started a second late, or the driver was awful, because manual tranny is about a full second faster 0-60 than the C32 and would continue to pull after 60mph. Even if it had the paddle shifters, which would reduce the likelihood of a bad launch, it would be at least a second faster.
Trust me! Only reason I posted this is because the result was a total surprise to me myself as a person who knows the power of the 63 engine and want to get the facts behind it. I was holding my breath waiting for the thunder to hit all the way to 100!! I was impressed by the little AMG and honestly not too thrilled about the S63 power at the end of the race. I lined up to the S63 hoping to only see its shrinking sexy behind by the end of the race!!

Now with the C6, I know I had a better launch than him as I mastered the skill of launching the little beast, that's when I gained on him but he was gaining on me slowly all the way to 80, the C6 nose was at my door and still slowly gaining by the time we killed it due to traffic. I wouldn't consider this a kill but rather a good fight.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Trust me he must not have been trying very hard or didnt give a ****. The 63 engine sounds like its going WOT when it really isnt. I have had my share of run inn's with the C32/C55 guys some of whom have a good amount of money vested in their cars.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Originally Posted by Improviz
I looked around and found that Motor Trend has a video review of the S63. In it, they say it runs 0-60 in 4.5, and the 1/4 in 13.0 @ 109. So, if this is a typical time for that car (couldn't find any other tests to compare), and if you got a *very* slight jump on him (less than 1/2 second), your results are about what would be expected.
S63 is slower than your typical SLK55 if that's the case. It traps the same and runs around 12.7.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Btw, I think you passed the accord because those cars hit their limiters at 115-120. He must've done some serious mods to his car to make an E55 chase him up to 120 to pass him. You shouldn't have to go to 120 to beat a stock accord in an E55 even if you’re on the wrong gear from only 3 car lengths, unless you were still doing 40 when he reached 100, then I can see why It took your E55 to 120 to pass him. I'm usually out of their sight by the time I reach 120 whenever a low-end car lines up even if I give him a bus-length head start!!
He said W210 E55 not W211 E55,big difference there
Old 07-26-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
S63 is slower than your typical SLK55 if that's the case. It traps the same and runs around 12.7.
We'll have to wait until some more road tests come out to be sure....I also thought that the Motor Trend trap might be a bit slow and so did some checking.

I looked at the numbers again, and found that wrt that Motor Trend test, based upon what I'm seeing 110 is a realistic trap speed for that car. It weighs (per edmunds.com) 4665 pounds....figure + 180 for driver and test equip, and it would have some in at 4845 pounds.

With a true 518 horsepower and this weight, it should trap at 111. So the Motor Trend speed is only 1 mph off the theoretical. I would think it should be able to dip into the 12's, though, albeit the high 12's.

However, even trapping at 110, in a straight up 1/4 mile run it should be able to pull a stock C32 by 4-5 lengths, but remember: we're dealing with a well-broken in C32 here and a relatively new S63, so advantage C32 there...usually a motor with some miles on it will pick up a tenth or two over stock.

And the C32 did get out to a slight jump, pretty close to a carlength, as he wrote:
but as soon as we looked at each other and decided to floor it, the S63 was now at my rear bumper.
So, he got nearly a carlength at the start (had these vehicles both punched it at exactly the same time, he should not jump out 1/2 length on a car which traps at 110-111 like that in a stock C32), which made up the difference.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 PM

C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Trust me he must not have been trying very hard or didnt give a ****. The 63 engine sounds like its going WOT when it really isnt. I have had my share of run inn's with the C32/C55 guys some of whom have a good amount of money vested in their cars.

The way he blew by me when I took my foot off the gas tells me he was trying hard for sure! I have no doubt about that. Your share of run inn's with the C32/C55 in your E63 should be a whole different story.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM

C63, SLK55
Originally Posted by oldgixxer
He said W210 E55 not W211 E55,big difference there
Yeah, I had that in mind before posting my reply. I was talking about his W210 E55, it's a pretty fast car too. It’s close in performance to my C32 and I never have trouble with low-end cars.
My favorite encounter with a low-end was with some Toyota that was rated at 220HP. the guy was being a jerk and wouldn't let me pass in a 3 lane highway, he kept moving on every lane that clears. Finally he moves to the middle lane and I move with him as there were 2 cars rolling at the same rate and blocking the left and right lane. The road is finally clear ahead, he punches it and had 2-3 car lengths on me already as I didn't punch it yet. The sec I decide to punch it is the sec I was on his left door, I catch him looking at his rear view mirror looking for me with a puzzled look to where I disappeared to. He turns his head to the left to find me and it was like as if he saw a ghost, the look on his face was priceless, I can never forget it. I just kept accelerating until he disappeared from my rear view mirror. I kept laughing all the way to my destination every time I remembered the horror look on his face.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

'05 C55(sold)'05 E55(sold)'06 911C4S(sold)'06 ML350 '06 CLS55(sold),buncha slo bikes
Yeah, I had that in mind before posting my reply. I was talking about his W210 E55, it's a pretty fast car too. It’s close in performance to my C32 and I never have trouble with low-end cars.
My favorite encounter with a low-end was with some Toyota that was rated at 220HP. the guy was being a jerk and wouldn't let me pass in a 3 lane highway, he kept moving on every lane that clears. Finally he moves to the middle lane and I move with him as there were 2 cars rolling at the same rate and blocking the left and right lane. The road is finally clear ahead, he punches it and had 2-3 car lengths on me already as I didn't punch it yet. The sec I decide to punch it is the sec I was on his left door, I catch him looking at his rear view mirror looking for me with a puzzled look to where I disappeared to. He turns his head to the left to find me and it was like as if he saw a ghost, the look on his face was priceless, I can never forget it. I just kept accelerating until he disappeared from my rear view mirror. I kept laughing all the way to my destination every time I remembered the horror look on his face.
Excellent!