Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Encounter with a classic: a Shelby GT500!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Encounter with a classic: a Shelby GT500!

I was driving into work late the other day, and as I merged on the highway saw a beautiful blue Shelby coming up behind me....so, I slowed up a bit and let him pass, and it was a gorgeous 1967 (per the tag) GT500, driven by a distinguished-looking older gentleman.

I slowed up to let him go by so I could check it out...once he'd passed by and gotten a few carlengths in front of me, I was just admiring it when suddenly he got a bit frisky and stomped it! "Ah, a player!", I thought, and stomped mine as well, but by then he'd let off, and I was left in the awkward position of doing a "Schnitzel fly-by" if you will.

Well, he made no response, and so I just minded my own business, heading on down towards my exit...when I exited onto the second highway (being purposefully vague here ), I noticed him, at the last minute, exit as well...I figured that he was just out for a drive anyway, and decided to play, and I was right about the latter part at least!

The merge lane was a two-laner, and there was a truck coming up on my left. My plan was to wait until he got by, merge left behind the truck with the Shelby then merging behind me, and then we'd be able to go around the other traffic and have some fun (by then, traffic was light).

But he hopped over in the left lane behind the truck instead, got up beside me, and when a small gap opened up ahead of him, he punched it....so did I, and even with his jump I promptly started reeling him in, but we ran out of space (cars in front!).

So, I went around the traffic, got on the highway, and parked in the left lane in 2nd. Then, he moved into the left center lane and nailed it, again getting the jump...and again, results were the same: AMG quickly blunted his charge and started pulling, with him abandoning the effort shortly thereafter.

We repeated this three times, same results; on the last time he kept on it for a longer time, but I was pulling him hard by then...not even close, I was probably close to 10 lengths out when he shut down. After that, he hung way back and I lost sight of him at some point, didn't get a chance to do a thumbs-up or anything!

I've always loved those old Shelbys, and it was an honor to run a beautiful example of a true classic!

Edit: found some pics of one just like it:

Last edited by Improviz; 10-28-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:06 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Now that's cool, not a kill, but a classy encounter between 2 awesome cars from completely different eras. Sweet...
Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I am truly jealous...love those cars!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vw
Dude, its like you in a running race with my grandfather. He may be frisky at times, but.......a kill?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by TopCarbon
Dude, its like you in a running race with my grandfather. He may be frisky at times, but.......a kill?
Oh, come on, that's a classic muscle car....not too fast by today's standards, but it is still a legend. Plus, they did trap at 99 in the 1/4, so it's not too far off the mark to call it a kill!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:29 PM

vw
I just think its funny that people see a MB and want to race. I have tons of respect for torque and comfort that the marque brings. But, when I see a MB, I dont say to myself,"hey lets see what I can do against this guy in his MB." Clearly, this Shelby was taking you seriously from the start.

The way these kills transpire(not just in this thread), there is always someone challenging in the other lane. I have mentioned this before, I rarely, if ever, have someone gunning their throttle at the line, or flying by me and waiting for me to take the bait. Honestly, when I see a Merc (outside of the SLR) I dont even think about racing. I guess If I owned one I might think differently, but for now I think this way.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by Improviz
Oh, come on, that's a classic muscle car....not too fast by today's standards, but it is still a legend. Plus, they did trap at 99 in the 1/4, so it's not too far off the mark to call it a kill!
My friend is restoring a 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 convertible that he picked up from an older guy who had it rotting in his garage. The thing is a rather unattractive harvest gold color, but puts out well over 400hp. The thing can move, although only in a straight line.
I saw a similar one go on a Barret Jackson auction for $80k,
Old 10-28-2007, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I just think its funny that people see a MB and want to race. I have tons of respect for torque and comfort that the marque brings. But, when I see a MB, I dont say to myself,"hey lets see what I can do against this guy in his MB." Clearly, this Shelby was taking you seriously from the start.
Well, the W208 CLK is far, far more sporty looking than your average Benz sedan, and I do get lots of challenges (although it's probably in many cases more a case of someone not knowing what he's up against and trying to show me how much faster his new 300 hp, 4000 pound car is than I am). In fact, many of the roadkills I've had have pulled up, wide eyed, and enquired something along the lines of "What the hell does that thing have in it?", which is always nice.

But I'm not sure if the Shelby guy was trying to draw me in that first time he gunned it, or else was just giving it a bit of a blast for grins....regardless, my "Shnitzel fly-by" definitely got him in competitive mode.

The way these kills transpire(not just in this thread), there is always someone challenging in the other lane. I have mentioned this before, I rarely, if ever, have someone gunning their throttle at the line, or flying by me and waiting for me to take the bait.
I think that now, AMGs are a lot more widely known than they were when I got mine, but judging by some of the cars that think they're going to smoke me, lots of people are still clueless.

Honestly, when I see a Merc (outside of the SLR) I dont even think about racing. I guess If I owned one I might think differently, but for now I think this way.
Well, I'm happy to report that lots of disappointed drivers have thought otherwise.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM

vw
cool
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 AM

none

The way these kills transpire(not just in this thread), there is always someone challenging in the other lane. I have mentioned this before, I rarely, if ever, have someone gunning their throttle at the line, or flying by me and waiting for me to take the bait. Honestly, when I see a Merc (outside of the SLR) I dont even think about racing. I guess If I owned one I might think differently, but for now I think this way.
The guy in the LP640 I ran thought different

You need to be a litte more open-minded.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 AM

vw
Im open, just all these people running around challenging MBs seems funny to me.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Im open, just all these people running around challenging MBs seems funny to me.
Whatever, stop trolling.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM

vw
Whatever, stop trolling.
I thought I would mingle with you.
What? No good?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
What? No good?
Yeah...you came off too snooty.....acting like people shouldn't bother racing Benz's. Good try though.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 AM

vw
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Yeah...you came off too snooty.....acting like people shouldn't bother racing Benz's. Good try though.
Was not my intention. Appologize if that is the way it was taken.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 PM

none
Is it just as funny when a four door E55 blows your Lambo's doors off?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 PM

vw
could be.

Thus far, no one has challenged me, which I am okay with. I might be laughing uncontrolably as I get my doors blown.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 PM

none
could be.

Thus far, no one has challenged me, which I am okay with. I might be laughing uncontrolably as I get my doors blown.
Laughing at your own loss, dude your a clown. Why are you even here?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:17 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Great encounter Improviz! Wish I could have an encounter like that... but all I encounter in my city is either BMW 3-series' or ricers.

Not to make the guy with the Lambo feel bad... but the new entry-level AMG, the C63 does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds (tested by Car and Driver)... the new Lambo LP640 does it in 4.0 (tested by Motor Trend, Oct. 07 Vol. 59). Makes me glad I run with the AMG family. Nonetheless, I have got to say Lamborghini makes awesome cars, I just tend to favor AMG cars more. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 PM

vw
Originally Posted by Exodus
Laughing at your own loss, dude your a clown. Why are you even here?
WOW, shoving your "internet" weight around.
I love this place. It provides my daily laugh. Keep it up.
Should I be somewhere else?
Is this site only for Mercedes Benz owners?
Give me a break.

Last edited by TopCarbon; 10-29-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM

vw
Originally Posted by Nocturnal-G
Great encounter Improviz! Wish I could have an encounter like that... but all I encounter in my city is either BMW 3-series' or ricers.

Not to make the guy with the Lambo feel bad... but the new entry-level AMG, the C63 does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds (tested by Car and Driver)... the new Lambo LP640 does it in 4.0 (tested by Motor Trend, Oct. 07 Vol. 59). Makes me glad I run with the AMG family. Nonetheless, I have got to say Lamborghini makes awesome cars, I just tend to favor AMG cars more. Just my 2 cents.
I dont feel bad when it comes to results from magazines. If I wanted the fastest car, I would not be driving what I do. I drive what I have, because I like what I have.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:30 PM

2002 E55 AMG
I dont feel bad when it comes to results from magazines. If I wanted the fastest car, I would not be driving what I do. I drive what I have, because I like what I have.
I agree with you, otherwise I would've been driving a Japanese car with a few turbos on it! HAHA.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
What? No good?
Mingling is fine, but it seems like ever since you came in here with allanlardass and company to argue with him against AMG owners, all you've done ever since is hang out here in the kill stories section and pooh-pooh people's victories.

Do you have anything you'd care to contribute to these forums, or is your sole intention here to pee on everyone's proverbial birthday cakes?? Because that is called trolling, and trolling accounts are violations of TOU.....
Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Mingling is fine, but it seems like ever since you came in here with allanlardass and company to argue with him against AMG owners, all you've done ever since is hang out here in the kill stories section and pooh-pooh people's victories.

Do you have anything you'd care to contribute to these forums, or is your sole intention here to pee on everyone's proverbial birthday cakes?? Because that is called trolling, and trolling accounts are violations of TOU.....
Oh I didn't know he was "capping" on other people's stories too. Well I guess we just gotta wait for the "C63 vs Lambo" thread... I guess that'll really put pressure on Lambo owners who bash us. All in all, It's all good... he can choose to bash me... I'll just mind my own business. Who knows one day when I supercharge my car, you'll see a "E55 vs Lambo" thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM

vw

Read my posts. I think I have been civil and factual. I have not disrespected anybody (personally). Of course, my opinions may be different than yours or others, but I have responded respectfully.

If the mods think that I dont belong because of my posts, BAN ME. I am okay with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Encounter with a classic: a Shelby GT500!