Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Ran a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Ran a C6 Z06

On the way home tonight from work, I was stuck behind a silver E55 and a black SL55. I thought about the idea of running them both and after attempting to do so for about 10 minutes, I gave up hope.

I had my top down, my windows down and my music playing enjoying the night-time breeze at a steady 60 mph on the freeway.

And just as soon as I hit the cruise control and relaxed in my seat, a black on black on even more black Z06 rumbled next to me, an Evo catching up seconds later. I smiled and when I heard his 6 engage, I too jumped on the throttle.

Thanks to my brand-spankin'-new-worse-then-useless Nitto NEOGEN tires, I went a tad bit sideways on my way to tunnel vision. The 600 shook violently and the Z06 faded ever so slightly next to me. At about 150, where we both let off due to incoming traffic, I had the lead by a car and half-- if that. The Z06 was holding ground and fighting for every inch.

I hit my hazards and gave a thumbs up. I couldn't see if he acknowledged that or not, thanks to his limo-tint but I think he did. We went around a couple cars and I took place behind him. The Z06 rumbling through traffic with authority, I glanced in my rear-view to see if the E55 and SL55 tagged along, but no such luck. And just as I was doing that, the Z06 dropped the throttle, two seconds later after a civil debate on whether or not to even bother going after him, I hit the gas. Needless to say, I never caught up.

He hit his hazards and took the next exit. I gave another thumbs up and continued on my way. Cool car I must say!

That Vette hauls!

On a side note, I think he may have been modded-- exhaust at the very least because that thing was L O U D ! But on that same note, I've never heard one WOT until tonight so who knows. First time I also went 150 with the top down FUN AS HELL lol
Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
is your car stock
Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Great story bro!

There is a little "mod" that almost every single Z06 owner does to their car. The Z06's come stock with a butterfly valve that opens at around 3500rpm's and lets the exhaust roar, but under the 3500 it stays relatively quiet. Most Z owners pull the fuse on the butterfly valve or install a wireless controller that keeps the valves open at all times so you get the full sound. It's a very loud car with the stock valves open.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Great write up Exodus at least you had fun...

I raced against 350Z last night and he was like half a car ahead of me as we hit at 100mph and we slowed down. Even though he passed me (but not much) I still had a little fun.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:49 AM

none
Originally Posted by E55JAY
is your car stock
Yeah, except for an exhaust delete.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM

none
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Great story bro!

There is a little "mod" that almost every single Z06 owner does to their car. The Z06's come stock with a butterfly valve that opens at around 3500rpm's and lets the exhaust roar, but under the 3500 it stays relatively quiet. Most Z owners pull the fuse on the butterfly valve or install a wireless controller that keeps the valves open at all times so you get the full sound. It's a very loud car with the stock valves open.

Yeah, first time I ever heard a Z06 WOT-- scary. That's a vicious f'in car. I like. I like. I like.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 AM

none
Originally Posted by JRAMGV8
Great write up Exodus at least you had fun...

I raced against 350Z last night and he was like half a car ahead of me as we hit at 100mph and we slowed down. Even though he passed me (but not much) I still had a little fun.
Thank you sir!

Yeah, it's always great to get a run or two in after work. Lifts my spirits most of the time, of course then I come home and read about kids flying off of runways in M5s and feel guilty

On a sidenote, I'm surprised/glad your E-Class managed to give that 350 a run. I didn't realize they were that fast.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
Originally Posted by Exodus
Thank you sir!

Yeah, it's always great to get a run or two in after work. Lifts my spirits most of the time, of course then I come home and read about kids flying off of runways in M5s and feel guilty

On a sidenote, I'm surprised/glad your E-Class managed to give that 350 a run. I didn't realize they were that fast.
Yeah even though the 350Z beat me by almost a car length. I'm sure he had to break a sweat in order to keep ahead . I expected him to kill me at least 3-5 cars ahead but didn't happen, I'm happy with my E350 V6 performance.

And yes I hear fatal accidents that involved street race, that's why I always stop when I hit 100mph but either way you can loose control of your vehicle at that speed and I do feel guilty as well. I hardly race but last night it was one of those that had the urge to but still....

Last edited by JRAMGV8; 02-15-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM

none
Originally Posted by JRAMGV8
Yeah even though the 350Z beat me by almost a car length. I'm sure he had to break a sweat in order to keep ahead . I expected him to kill me at least 3-5 cars ahead but didn't happen, I'm happy with my E350 V6 performance.

And yes I hear fatal accidents that involved street race, that's why I always stop when I hit 100mph but either way you can loose control of your vehicle at that speed and I do feel guilty as well. I hardly race but last night it was one of those that had the urge to but still....
Annnnnnnnnd.... another one bites the dust in the off-topic forum...

or 8.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
your car must be fast to pull on C6 Z06 from a roll, im not sure even i could do that
Old 02-16-2008, 06:35 PM

none
your car must be fast to pull on C6 Z06 from a roll, im not sure even i could do that
The story isn't posted to denounce the Z06's performance but rather just to entertain everyone-- I know I was thrilled when I managed to keep the lead, so given the Z06's reputation I figured this was worth posting. Good driver, bad driver, good launch, bad launch ahhhh to heck with it, it was just a fun time I had.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 PM

'03 E55
Most likely a C5. I was ready to call as well, but he never stated that it was a C6 and the outcome he described would be very realistic with a lightly modded C5 from what I know of the cars.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 PM

none
Originally Posted by Hazy1
Most likely a C5. I was ready to call as well, but he never stated that it was a C6 and the outcome he described would be very realistic with a lightly modded C5 from what I know of the cars.
I know my cars, it was a C6 trust me.

Edit: And actually, the title says "C6 Z06".

Last edited by Exodus; 02-16-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM

'03 E55
I know my cars, it was a C6 trust me.

Edit: And actually, the title says "C6 Z06".

Sorry, I missed that before posting.

Just to make sure I understand correctly: he basically had the jump from 60, you lost traction a little when you took off, and you were still were ahead by 1 1/2 cars at 150. Did I read that right?? If so, and I'm sincerely not trying to be a dick or call you out, but either it wasn't a C6, he wasn't fully trying, something was significantly wrong with his car, or it didn't happen.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG

Just to make sure I understand correctly: he basically had the jump from 60, you lost traction a little when you took off, and you were still were ahead by 1 1/2 cars at 150. Did I read that right?? If so, and I'm sincerely not trying to be a dick or call you out, but either it wasn't a C6, he wasn't fully trying, something was significantly wrong with his car, or it didn't happen.
Could have missed some shifts also.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:29 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by Timeless
Could have missed some shifts also.
He could have botched both shifts in a C6 and still had the lead. I could see driver error from a dig give the win to the SL in a shorter race, but not in a 60-150. Again, a blacked out Z06 in the dark might have been tough to distinguish a C5 from a C6. Not trying to question the OP's knowledge of automobiles, but I'm still guessing it was a C5. Either way, he had fun and got the win.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 AM

none

When I said engage, I meant in his proper gear. It wasn't until I took off, he followed. I saw his front lift up as I made my slight lead. With my slight wheelspin taking away most of my "jump", it was pretty much even.

This was the second Z06 I took out, the first being in my E55. Look man, I know after seeing all those videos you get to the Z06 is god state of mind, and by all means it may be but seriously, it was a street race. Alot of things can happen in a street race.

It may be possible the previous owner modded my 600 and I don't know about it. It could be possible the Z06 had a poor engine. It could be possible he sucked at shifting. It could be all three things combined. It could be the 600 is just that fast. It could be alot of things. All I'm saying is two things:

A. It was a L O U D Z06 and,
B. It was a L O U D Z06 that lost.

I realize your not talking out of your a$$ here, the Vette has a reputation and all but I certainly wouldn't have had a problem admitting I took a beating. I had my top down I EXPECTED to lose.

Like I said, it was just some fun I had and in no way was it meant to be taken as the Z06s ultimate performance comparison.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 AM

none
He could have botched both shifts in a C6 and still had the lead. I could see driver error from a dig give the win to the SL in a shorter race, but not in a 60-150. Again, a blacked out Z06 in the dark might have been tough to distinguish a C5 from a C6. Not trying to question the OP's knowledge of automobiles, but I'm still guessing it was a C5. Either way, he had fun and got the win.
Trust me, seeing as my brother is an american muscle fan and has owned a C5 Z06 (along with a Mustang GT and 6.0 GTO), I'd take my word for it. I know quite a bit about muscle cars. And I know a Z06 when I see one, and that was a Z06. Shoulda taken a pic with my camera phone...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 AM

M37S
If its a c6 zo6, it would of definitely beat a sl600, but once again there are many factors other than the car (drivers ability etc) A stock Z06 is extremely hard to beat, I know of a few cars that could beat it, none vs price comparison thats for sure. 2009 Nissan GTR comes to mind though
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by cr1t1icalm4ss
If its a c6 zo6, it would of definitely beat a sl600, but once again there are many factors other than the car (drivers ability etc) A stock Z06 is extremely hard to beat, I know of a few cars that could beat it, none vs price comparison thats for sure. 2009 Nissan GTR comes to mind though
Don't think the GTR will take it top end or maybe even 1/4 mile...only at launch with revving 4-5K.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM

none
Alas I knew it was but a matter of time before someone came in here questioning either my knowledge of cars or the validity of the story. I know, I know... the unbeatable outrageously fast Z06

No one can just enjoy a story any longer unless it plaus out in their theoretical outcome...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Alas I knew it was but a matter of time before someone came in here questioning either my knowledge of cars or the validity of the story. I know, I know... the unbeatable outrageously fast Z06

No one can just enjoy a story any longer unless it plaus out in their theoretical outcome...
Just means you need to videotape it next time.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 AM

2005 C55, 2007 C6 Z06, 2008 Ford Expedition Limited
"My C6 Z06"

Being the proud owner of both a C55 AMG and a 2007 Z06, I can yell you outright, without stealing your thunder, because that is not my intention, whatever it was that you raced, was definitely not a C6 Z06, and if it was, he has no idea how to drive! Being based out in Dubai these last couple of years, I get a fair share of opportunity to race all sorts of exotics, not just on the streets but at the track as well. Not to sound obnoxious or over confident, but I have consistently outrun on many occassions, F 430's, modded E55 Vath's, Brabus, Porche 997 TT's, Lamborghini Gallardo's and a host of other willing players. The only 2 cars I can really say "beat" me by a car length was a Porche Carrera GT and a Lamborghini Murcialego LP 640...Thats it so far, then again, I have not been above 160 with some of the other above mentioned as that is where the Z06 lags in power due to gearing ratios. so speaking from my experience, this is what I can share with you about the Z06. I am not saying it is the greatest or fastest car ever made, but one thing is for sure, it is one scary fast beast for the money. Comfort wise, it doesnt hold a candelstick to my benz!!
Nice race either way!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
There is a very strong possibility that the Z06 owner did not want to push his car. He could have been short shifting and not going full WOT. The Z06 is an animal but it is prone to lots of wheelspin. You have to be a very good driver and you have to respect the car, so he may have just been only 3/4 on it when racing you.

I totally believe you though, I have beaten cars that others have said are unbeatable. A lot can happen in a street race. A Z06 is a much much harder car to drive than a Benz.

There is also the possibility that it was a regular C6 with Z06 body panels. There are plenty of examples of this on corvetteforums. It only costs about $2,000 and you can get the Z06 rear panels that fit right onto the regular C6.

To put things into perspective, a C6 Z06 when driven right is a low-mid 11 second car. Stock SL600 with top down should be a mid 12 second car. A full second on a 1/4 mile is HUGE, but if the driver is p*ssy-footing it and granny shifting, then of course its possible. I wouldn't call BS.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion

I totally believe you though, I have beaten cars that others have said are unbeatable. A lot can happen in a street race.
And for punishment I guess you are gonna have to race the little sleeper C43 I own one day Bobby just to see where u r really at!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ran a C6 Z06