Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

ROAD RAGE GOTCHA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 12:30 PM

2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
ROAD RAGE GOTCHA

This isn't a kill story but still pretty good reading.

I'm cruising through the western foot hills of Maryland on my way to WV in my 3 series BMW when I get behind granny and gramps just poking along and obstructing traffic in their Buick station wagon land shark. I'm sticking a little close looking for an opportunity to pass which evidently pisses off grampa who starts gesturing with his hands, tap his brakes and slow down.

On a very long up hill section I get my opportunity and easily pass with no problem. Grampa speeds up and starts to literally ride my bumper only inches away while flipping me the finger. I can see in my mirror that this guy is practically foaming at the mouth, yelling and gesturing to himself.

I'm very familiar with this road and know I'm approaching a sharp switch back at the top of the hill so I just maintain a steady speed while gramps is glued to my bumper. Normally, I'd slow down for the switch back but this time I just maintain my speed with the thought that gramps will HAVE to back off for the corner and I can put some distance between us.

We get to the corner and I don't even tap the brakes, just zip around and look in the mirror to see where he is. Well, he attempted to follow me at speed and lost the rear end, then over corrected and went into the woods *** end first. I stopped to see if they were OK but they were already out of the car before I got there so I just went on my way with a smile.
Old 05-16-2008 | 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by speedpeddler

I'm cruising through the western foot hills of Maryland on my way to WV in my 3 series BMW when I get behind granny and gramps just poking along and obstructing traffic in their Buick station wagon land shark. I'm sticking a little close looking for an opportunity to pass which evidently pisses off grampa who starts gesturing with his hands, tap his brakes and slow down.

On a very long up hill section I get my opportunity and easily pass with no problem. Grampa speeds up and starts to literally ride my bumper only inches away while flipping me the finger. I can see in my mirror that this guy is practically foaming at the mouth, yelling and gesturing to himself.

I'm very familiar with this road and know I'm approaching a sharp switch back at the top of the hill so I just maintain a steady speed while gramps is glued to my bumper. Normally, I'd slow down for the switch back but this time I just maintain my speed with the thought that gramps will HAVE to back off for the corner and I can put some distance between us.

We get to the corner and I don't even tap the brakes, just zip around and look in the mirror to see where he is. Well, he attempted to follow me at speed and lost the rear end, then over corrected and went into the woods *** end first. I stopped to see if they were OK but they were already out of the car before I got there so I just went on my way with a smile.
Hopefully Grandpa & Grandma don't have too good of an eyesight to have gotten your license plate down, make, model, description of you. They could report it to the police for a story saying that you drove them off the road. It could turn into a "he said...she said."
Old 05-16-2008 | 12:51 PM

2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
Hopefully Grandpa & Grandma don't have too good of an eyesight to have gotten your license plate down, make, model, description of you. They could report it to the police for a story saying that you drove them off the road. It could turn into a "he said...she said."
People can say anything they want but it helps if it's backed up by the facts. And, what would they report? That they were tail gating someone and lost control of their car? LMAO
Old 05-16-2008 | 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser

Some people bash you for whatever reason on this forum. I think he got what he deserved. Poor mrs gramps though.
Old 05-16-2008 | 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Awesome....that story makes me feel like there is some justice in the world
Some people will just never get it though.....I'm sure it never sunk in to that guy that "yes, I am a danger to everyone on the road and I should turn in my driver's license"
Old 05-16-2008 | 03:47 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
LOL so your car handled it because its an e55?

and their crappy car couldnt take the turn?
Old 05-16-2008 | 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser

O
Come on Gondon
Old 05-16-2008 | 03:59 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Come on Gondon
haha

a lil burned
Old 05-16-2008 | 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I bet both mr and mrs gramps pooped their depends.
Old 05-16-2008 | 06:44 PM

07 Clk 550
I'm sorry but that's just funny. Something like that happened to me. I was driving and this slow *** grandpa was in front of me, so I kinda tailgated him. He didn't like that much; therefore, I backed up. Instead of driving normally, he stopped in the MIDDLE of a busy *** intersection.
Old 05-16-2008 | 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Don't feel sorry for these people,natural selection should've taken care of them long time ago.
I just can't stand these "road rage" *******s...
Old 05-16-2008 | 09:35 PM

'03 E55
I had a somewhat similar experience today. I got stuck behind some middle-aged guy in a mid-90's Grand Cherokee who was in the left lane just barely passing any traffic for about 3 miles. There was moderate traffic several hundred yards in front of him, so I didn't get too worked up over it and was closer than the 2 second rule, but never was tailgating. When we got close to the Interstate, he wedged his way into the right lane between 2 cars and I sped up to get around a few other cars in front of him. The other cars went straight and he wound up right behind me on the on-ramp and flew up to just 5-10 feet from my bumper. I looked back and he had taken both hands off of the wheel and kept sweeping them forward as if to tell me to move it, never mind the fact that another truck was right in front of me or I'd have already been long gone. I tapped the brakes hard for a fraction of a second and looked back to see him stomp on his brakes and then try to catch a big box of papers as it flew off of his passenger seat and went all over the dash and floorboard. Once on the Interstate, he kept flooring it and then backing off for about 3 miles, hopelessly trying to catch me off guard to get in front of me. I just kept speeding up to keep him about a car length back until he finally realized that it wasn't happening and gave up. Thankfully, his exit was before mine, as this guy started to look more and more crazy as his frustration built trying to get beside me.

Last edited by Hazy1; 05-16-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2008 | 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Hazy1
I had a somewhat similar experience today. I got stuck behind some middle-aged guy in a mid-90's Grand Cherokee who was in the left lane just barely passing any traffic for about 3 miles. There was moderate traffic several hundred yards in front of him, so I didn't get too worked up over it and was closer than the 2 second rule, but never was tailgating. When we got close to the Interstate, he wedged his way into the right lane between 2 cars and I sped up to get around a few other cars in front of him. The other cars went straight and he wound up right behind me on the on-ramp and flew up to just 5-10 feet from my bumper. I looked back and he had taken both hands off of the wheel and kept sweeping them forward as if to tell me to move it, never mind the fact that another truck was right in front of me or I'd have already been long gone. I tapped the brakes hard for a fraction of a second and looked back to see him stomp on his brakes and then try to catch a big box of papers as it flew off of his drivers seat and went all over the dash and floorboard. Once on the Interstate, he kept flooring it and then backing off for about 3 miles, hopelessly trying to catch me off guard to get in front of me. I just kept speeding up to keep him about a car length back until he finally realized that it wasn't happening and gave up. Thankfully, his exit was before mine, as this guy started to look more and more crazy as his frustration built trying to get beside me.
Same thing last week, except is was some little twerp in one of those Scion box car things. I looked in my rearview and burst out laughing. It would've been his teeth he'd have lost.
Old 05-16-2008 | 09:48 PM

c32amg,c240
What is it with people these days. People try that stuff all the time in Virginia, and they still dont get it. If you are going to slow then maybe the best idea is to get over. But instead they play that mind game with you. Like for example when I'm on the highway one day and I try my best to keep my composure, but when I change lanes this retart in a camry wants to all of a sudden start accelerating. He did this twice to me and I said to myself if he does it one more time. And sure enough he tries it again and I lit his behind up. You see guys its all a game to these people I dont if it is the car I'm driving or pure stupidity. But I feel that they have to come with something better than that to **** you off. So basically I mentally prepare myself everyday because if you know they out there, be ready for them.
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:20 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by ytryc32amg
when I change lanes this retart in a camry wants to all of a sudden start accelerating. He did this twice to me and I said to myself if he does it one more time. And sure enough he tries it again and I lit his behind up.
I give the other driver the benefit of the doubt ONCE with that little game. The 2nd time it happens they simply get cut off if they're too close as I come around the front.

That was one reason I got the E55. When I had an ML430, people could do that and keep me behind them for as long as they wanted. Some kid in a Lancer did that to me for over 10 miles and I wasn't terribly happy. I came home and told the wife that life with the ML would end shortly. Now, it's rare that they can close the gap fast enough to keep me from getting around.
Old 05-16-2008 | 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by ytryc32amg
What is it with people these days. People try that stuff all the time in Virginia, and they still dont get it. If you are going to slow then maybe the best idea is to get over. But instead they play that mind game with you. Like for example when I'm on the highway one day and I try my best to keep my composure, but when I change lanes this retart in a camry wants to all of a sudden start accelerating. He did this twice to me and I said to myself if he does it one more time. And sure enough he tries it again and I lit his behind up. You see guys its all a game to these people I dont if it is the car I'm driving or pure stupidity. But I feel that they have to come with something better than that to **** you off. So basically I mentally prepare myself everyday because if you know they out there, be ready for them.
+1.... Some of the Virginia drivers are bad, but a lot North Carolina people make me cringe. There is a highway that goes right to the NC border and these people just block up the left lane. When I first moved down here I used to tailgate like I did in Michigan.... Usually the pressure got people over in MI. The NC drivers just stay there and slow down. Now I am able to spot them in advance and I stay 3-4 car lengths back. As soon as I see an opportunity I get right up on them and shoot the gap. They see me approaching fast and slow down assuming that I will tailgate instead of quickly pass. Before they know it I am 3-4 car lengths in front of them.

My philosophy: Always buy the car with the most powerful engine to avoid **** drivers that clog up our roads.
Old 05-16-2008 | 11:06 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
I dont break check anyone, dont wanna risk losing my bumper...
Old 05-17-2008 | 01:28 AM

E550, X5 4.8
god....i am glad i am not the only one who get pissed off by these people who drive way too slow in the left lane. especially when there is no traffic ahead of them.

its just impossible do deal with people on the roads. i cant drive 65 on the freeway (when there is no traffic), but when you pass them, the get pissed. its a no win situation with these kind of people.

but, i cant stand those people who break check. especially those who drive nice cars (it is so NOT classy, and very dangerous)

when i came to this country, i was amazed by how people are nice to each other. bud god darn, when they get in their cars, its like everybody just wants to kill each other. so sad...
Old 05-17-2008 | 07:32 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by 001kz
but, i cant stand those people who break check. especially those who drive nice cars (it is so NOT classy, and very dangerous)
I have no idea if this was in response to my doing that to the guy in the Grand Cherokee, but when someone flies up on my *** acting like an imbecile, I'm going to give him something to think about the next time he wants to do that to someone. If he hits my car, so be it. I was laughing my *** off when his box of ***** went flying everywhere. As a general rule, I get very few people in close proximity to the rear of my car, and those who are close but not acting like morons are usually ignored.
Old 05-17-2008 | 08:49 PM

c32amg,c240
I have no idea if this was in response to my doing that to the guy in the Grand Cherokee, but when someone flies up on my *** acting like an imbecile, I'm going to give him something to think about the next time he wants to do that to someone. If he hits my car, so be it. I was laughing my *** off when his box of ***** went flying everywhere. As a general rule, I get very few people in close proximity to the rear of my car, and those who are close but not acting like morons are usually ignored.
I hear you on that but I wouldnt wanna do that so often I dont want to have my car repaired and going to jail for kick his a** because of his ignorance. But how's this for you another guy in some minivan tailgates me with minumum traffic around. Keep in mind though this is a 4 lane highway I have alot of space between me and he justs keeps at it. And I'm in the slow lane so I look to my right and there is a truck about to merge (I'm sure you know where this is headed) anyway I wait right good till the truck was coming over and shot straight into the other lane. As I look in my rear view mirror the van tries the same tactic and hits the 18 wheeler from behind. Well there goes his car insurance, but the dumb part about it was I gave him plenty of room to pass me from the other lane. I figured he got what he deserved, at the end of the day I'm at home chillen and he is explaining to cops what happened. Because his so called intelligence led to his downfall.
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK Cabrio
i don't blame people anymore for their lack of driving if the California gov't had you taking 40 hours behind the wheel with an instructor and 6 hours in a class than maybe they would have some clue as to how to drive.as for common courtesy to others, if i am in front of someone and see that he is going fast i pull over why cant people realize that i will drive the way i want. i drive through topanga canyon about everyday as my mom is in the hospital. i cant stand these people that brake through every corner. its like people not only are you driving 30 in a 45 but your braking to 20 in every corner. just pull over, and let me pass. i hate these people.
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:44 PM

'03 E55
Sometimes kharma needs a little assistance and its good to see you could help out.

I think I've brake-checked maybe 10 people in 20 years of driving, as it's pretty much a move of last resort for me and I get very few people truly riding my ***.

The only unforseen consequence that I have ever had in doing so was the 1st week that I got the E55. I was driving the car home from picking it up in Cincinnati and visiting the in-laws for a week. There was a young redneck in a Toyota pickup towing a couple of jet-skis in the left lane on the Interstate. I had been (fairly) patiently waiting for a few miles to get around this douche and cut him off somewhat when he left a bit of a hole. Similar to the guy in the Cherokee, he came flying up and rode my *** by less than 10 feet. When I looked up, this guy had also taken both hands off of the wheel to give me the double bird. I hit the brakes pretty good and he slamed on his brakes and drifted into the other lane in the process. The problem was that there was a young mother in the other lane with a couple of young kids in the back and he nearly ran her off the road. I felt like a complete ******* for nearly killing this innocent family to prove a point to some dip*****.

I now pay attention to any other cars that might be in the vicinity before attempting to dish out my version of vigilante justice. If anyone else is around, I just head on up the road.

One last thought. I find it truly amazing how many people will honk, gesture, and act like complete *******s in traffic, but won't roll down their window or even look at you when you pull up next to them and roll your window down to attempt to address the situation.
Old 05-17-2008 | 10:51 PM

'03 E55
Originally Posted by sick430
i don't blame people anymore for their lack of driving if the California gov't had you taking 40 hours behind the wheel with an instructor and 6 hours in a class than maybe they would have some clue as to how to drive.as for common courtesy to others, if i am in front of someone and see that he is going fast i pull over why cant people realize that i will drive the way i want. i drive through topanga canyon about everyday as my mom is in the hospital. i cant stand these people that brake through every corner. its like people not only are you driving 30 in a 45 but your braking to 20 in every corner. just pull over, and let me pass. i hate these people.
I read a couple of studies a few years ago that put 85-95% of all road rage and aggressive driving as being attributable to slow traffic in the left lane. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I've thought about buying several small commercial properties along some of the more heavily traveled roads in our area so that I could put up billboards that say "Slower traffic KEEP RIGHT".
Old 05-17-2008 | 11:06 PM

c32amg,c240
I read a couple of studies a few years ago that put 85-95% of all road rage and aggressive driving as being attributable to slow traffic in the left lane. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I've thought about buying several small commercial properties along some of the more heavily traveled roads in our area so that I could put up billboards that say "Slower traffic KEEP RIGHT".
I believe your statement is right on point, if we had learned to drive like the germans in europe it probabily would cause less tension between drivers. And what makes it so bad is (I hate to say it) but women can be the most unaware and annoying drivers outthere. Some of them dont have a clue of their surroundings when they drive, and wonder why people give them that crazy look. Sometimes I wish we could type in their last 4 digits of their license plate and have a genuine conversation with them on the phone. As to why they are clue less to get out the fast lane. The way I see it state troopers shouldn't pull over the speeders all the time but the ones who decides to hold up the fast lane for 4 years. And then people wonder why other drivers give them that hateful look when they fly pass them. But I'm sure they will get the message after they get ran off the road a couple of times.
Old 05-18-2008 | 01:31 AM

E550, X5 4.8
Nothing personal, but most of the time when you are in this kind of situations there are a lot of other cars around you and the other idiot. just think of the accident you might cause, and someone may get hurt! do you think it is worth it, to take that risk just to prove some idiot that he is in fact an idiot.

i do, however fully understand you. i get to see those people in the freeway fairly often. but, as soon as i pass them i try to just get as far ahead of them as possible. (if traffic permits) even if i have to exceed the speed limit. in my view it is the less risky act than brake checking, because you might not always see the car or cars behind the *****. And those are the ones who expect to break hard the least.

after all the whole point to pass that idiot going slow in a left lane is to go on with you life a little bit faster than him/or her. right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ROAD RAGE GOTCHA