Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLK55 vs Jeep SRT8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
CLK55 vs Jeep SRT8

my cuzin just bought the new jeep srt8 the other day and we had a good time testing the cars out.

the jeep has a awesome exhaust note, slightly louder then the clk.

We raced from several different scenarios.

From a stop the outcome was pretty bad. The srt8 completely annihilated the clk55 from light to light and up to 60. That thing is like a bullet from a standstill. No wheelspin and 420hp just powering forward lol.

We then raced from 30-80 and the clk55 had the jeep beat and kept gaining little by little.

we then did a 40- 120 race and we kept even for a bit then i just started to walk away slowly.

All in all from a dig the jeep srt8 will rape any rearwheel drive car light to light, from a highway roll its not as fast as its hyped out to be.

Also got a chance to drive and that gearbox is a complete peice of ****.

so safe to say the na clk55 will dust any stock srt8.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Z06/Z07, 2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by S5LorinserF1

All in all from a dig the jeep srt8 will rape any rearwheel drive car light to light...
They are great looking vehicles, or so I think. But to think that they will rape any rear wheel drive car off the line is a bit far fetched.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM

2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
The Jeep is fast but it is probably faster 0-60 than MOST cars. It's also faster to the gas station as well and I'd like to see how its holding up it in about 4 or 5 years. Still fast in a straight line though.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Having had an SRT8 for about 1 1/2 I would agree that thing can launch really hard. The 6.1L V8, AWD and 3.74 gearing makes it almost defy physics off the line (given its 4,900lbs). I am not sure what hype you are talking about....who is saying it is a a car for highway rolls? It goes from being a great vehicle to launch from a dig...to being an above average one from a highway roll.

Tom
Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 AM

CLK550
Originally Posted by HOWSER
They are great looking vehicles, or so I think. But to think that they will rape any rear wheel drive car off the line is a bit far fetched.
Not really. It's ridiculous from a dig. You would need slicks or at least drag radials to have any chance at all against one from a dig. Once at highway speeds though, the aerodynamics, gearing, and awd really hurt it. It's still a sexy vehicle, and sounds awesome with Kooks headers and Borla S Type exhaust.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 AM

Charger SRT-8
If the "gearbox" is the same as the other LX's, it came directly from Mercedes, same as your car.

Nice kill. Try it from a dig at the dragstrip, it will run very low 13s, on every pass no matter the available traction. Can't say that about the CLK.

At 80 and 120mph, what were the CLs you had?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
The Jeep SRT-8 is nuts. It would have beat my E500 if he had an open lane. Looking though my rear view, i think it also handled well for a SUV, too.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by RedBull
Not really. It's ridiculous from a dig. You would need slicks or at least drag radials to have any chance at all against one from a dig. Once at highway speeds though, the aerodynamics, gearing, and awd really hurt it. It's still a sexy vehicle, and sounds awesome with Kooks headers and Borla S Type exhaust.
negative on the slicks or d/r comment for those of us that know how to launch our cars.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by chiromikey
negative on the slicks or d/r comment for those of us that know how to launch our cars.
You can be as great as you want on street tires, but you're still gonna get outlaunched by a high hp/tq awd vehicle. If the race is anything 1/8 mile or longer, you'll catch up quickly. Stoplight to stoplight though, you'll be toast. And yes, I know what an E55 is capable of from a dig. A properly driven Jeep SRT-8 will still outlaunch it.

Last edited by RedBull; 08-19-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM

Charger SRT-8
You can be as great as you want on street tires, but you're still gonna get outlaunched by a high hp/tq awd vehicle. If the race is anything 1/8 mile or longer, you'll catch up quickly. Stoplight to stoplight though, you'll be toast. And yes, I know what an E55 is capable of from a dig. A properly driven Jeep SRT-8 will still outlaunch it.
I agree. Deep 1.8x 60fts on the street mean catch-up may not occur until the 1/8th mile mark. That's well over 80mph for these cars and that means on the street, it may never get to that point.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I agree. Deep 1.8x 60fts on the street mean catch-up may not occur until the 1/8th mile mark. That's well over 80mph for these cars and that means on the street, it may never get to that point.
lol, you guys obviously have no idea. i can easily run 1.8 60fts on the street and have run countless 1.71's at the track...YES on true street tires. the only thing a stock srt8 jeep MIGHT beat me to is the other side of the intersection if i'm sleeping...(MIGHT). and i'll take any jeep BEFORE the 1/8 unless they're dropping some serious n2o.

btw, not braggin...just bringing a reality check to the conversation.

Last edited by chiromikey; 08-19-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM

CLK550
lol, you guys obviously have no idea. i can easily run 1.8 60fts on the street and have run countless 1.71's at the track...YES on true street tires. the only thing a stock srt8 jeep MIGHT beat me to is the other side of the intersection if i'm sleeping...(MIGHT). and i'll take any jeep BEFORE the 1/8 unless they're dropping some serious n2o.

I'm gathering from your responses that you've never experienced a 400+ hp awd launch before. It's just a little bit different than a rwd launch. Go try running one from a dig, and your eyes will be as big as saucers.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Jeep SRT8 0-60 = 4.5 sec
W209 CLK55 0-60 = 5.0 sec

I guess the Jeep should win from light to light. 0.5 sec difference should be what.....half a car length?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm gathering from your responses that you've never experienced a 400+ hp awd launch before. It's just a little bit different than a rwd launch. Go try running one from a dig, and your eyes will be as big as saucers.
lol...like i said, you have no idea. i've driven real awd cars like 650hp r34 gtr's and 600+hp 996tt's and know what they're about. i also know what an srt8 jeep is capable of because that was vehicle i was very near purchasing. while the jeeps are awesome for what they are, they're not that impressive when compared to serious street cars. i think the truth to the matter is that YOU'VE never been in a properly driven modded e55 (and please don't make this out as me thinking the e55 the best thing out there).

anyways, you don't believe me...go look at 60ft and 1/8mile times on dragtimes to see the REAL data and then tell me why i should believe your opinion over the evidence. no jeep that isn't SERIOUSLY modded with n2o is going to outlaunch or out 1/8mile me.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If the "gearbox" is the same as the other LX's, it came directly from Mercedes, same as your car.
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. The trannys are the same.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Charger SRT-8

The REALITY is that is on MT ET streets (stock diff??) prepped for the dragstip. So your "no DRs/slicks" needed turns out to be BS.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. The trannys are the same.
I do not believe they are exactly the same. They may share a lot of components, but they are not the same. I believe MB used a lot of older technology parts in the Chrysler 5 speed tranny.

I also know that the MB cars are not plagued by the multi-tude of tranny problems that the Chrysler cars had.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The REALITY is that is on MT ET streets (stock diff??) prepped for the dragstip. So your "no DRs/slicks" needed turns out to be BS.
lol. i understand you're not from around here so i'll dismiss your "bs" comment as newbie foot in mouth disease.

my time posted on dragtimes is only a SINGLE run out of hundreds. anyone that's been around here long enough to read about my 1/4mile excursions, knows i run the exact same 60ft times on my 19" street tires. yes on a stock diff, it makes ZERO difference anyways. and what "prepped for the dragstrip"...do you really think i strip down my daily driver???

actually, i'm being too nice because i've also posted this on your srt8 forum a few times. so there is really no excuse for your insolence.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:36 PM

Charger SRT-8
, knows i run the exact same 60ft times on my 19" street tires.
Yeah, sure you do. And you still referenced a 60ft that was done on ET Streets.

And how is that virtually every other 1.7X 60ft was on DRs on dragtimes? If the E55 launches so well, why in the world would they use DRs?

I had no idea the E55 can launch like a 3100lb prepped Z-06. And prep as in clean tires, fresh application of VHT, psi at optimum level, etc.

Bottom line, especially on the street, the Jeep SRT-8 will get the hole shot.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-20-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Timeless
I also know that the MB cars are not plagued by the multi-tude of tranny problems that the Chrysler cars had.
The SRT-8s don't have ANY tranny problems except in the past an o-ring leak that is fixed in 5 minutes. It's widely considered bullet-proof.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
The SRT-8s don't have ANY tranny problems except in the past an o-ring leak that is fixed in 5 minutes. It's widely considered bullet-proof.
Fixed in five minutes is a bit misleading...And it usually takes multiple trips to the dealership for them to figure out. They usually want to replace the whole tranny.

But other than that, they are very good trannies, I agree. They are NOT the exact one that MB uses...the MB trannies shift like butter compared to the Chryslers...for whatever reason I am not sure.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, sure you do. And you still referenced a 60ft that was done on ET Streets.

And how is that virtually every other 1.7X 60ft was on DRs on dragtimes? If the E55 launches so well, why in the world would they use DRs?

I had no idea the E55 can launch like a 3100lb prepped Z-06. And prep as in clean tires, fresh application of VHT, psi at optimum level, etc.

Bottom line, especially on the street, the Jeep SRT-8 will get the hole shot.
the part i highlighted sums your thoughts up best.

you're in territory that you know NOTHING about so please don't preach to me about what my car can or cannot do when i have the proof and all you have is an erroneous opinion based upon flawed assumptions. search my post history and you'll find my thoughts on d/r's and why i believe my car yields the same performance on or off them.

don't blame me if my car can do what some prepped z06 can do...tell them to learn how to drive if they can only run 1.7's! and regarding your prep comments...vht...every track has it and you're right i probably couldn't get consistent 1.71's without it. however, the jeeps on dragtimes wouldn't have quite the same 60ft numbers either. regardless, i didn't claim 1.71's on the street did i! i said i could easily run 1.8's on the street which is right in stock jeep srt8 territory on the track! clean tires...give me a break. and i run the same psi on my street tires at the track as i do on the street and have offered an explanation for that as well if you care to search for it.

seriously, quit now and save yourself further humiliation because you seriously were right, "you have no idea".
Old 08-20-2008, 09:35 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Timeless
Fixed in five minutes is a bit misleading...And it usually takes multiple trips to the dealership for them to figure out. They usually want to replace the whole tranny.

But other than that, they are very good trannies, I agree. They are NOT the exact one that MB uses...the MB trannies shift like butter compared to the Chryslers...for whatever reason I am not sure.
Absolutely false regarding the LX transmission. The TSB is for the o-ring. The transmissions have held up wonderfully. It's the half-shafts that are the intermittent problem.

A "butter" shift is usually a matter of managing line pressure, a slower engagement and engine torque management. A firmer shift is desired by the LX enthusiasts and is why the Diablo tuner changes it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 SL500, 2002 GLS 450
I worked on the Jeep SRT8 prior to its release and from a launch it can sometimes pull over 1g which is crazy for a heavy SUV. The 0-60 time of 4.5s that someone posted is far fetched for a stock SRT8. I've never seen anything close to that. More like high 4's, low 5's in the real world. The lower times you will get only when it's cold and dry. In the snow, it has an impressive 0-60 of about 7.5s which is faster than a lot of cars on asphalt! Compared to a 300 SRT8, there is no comparison, the Jeep just crushes the 300 so bad out of the whole it's not even funny. At highway speeds they are quick, but nothing special.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 PM

Charger SRT-8
the part i highlighted sums your thoughts up best.

you're in territory that you know NOTHING about so please don't preach to me about what my car can or cannot do when i have the proof and all you have is an erroneous opinion based upon flawed assumptions. search my post history and you'll find my thoughts on d/r's and why i believe my car yields the same performance on or off them.

don't blame me if my car can do what some prepped z06 can do...tell them to learn how to drive if they can only run 1.7's! and regarding your prep comments...vht...every track has it and you're right i probably couldn't get consistent 1.71's without it. however, the jeeps on dragtimes wouldn't have quite the same 60ft numbers either. regardless, i didn't claim 1.71's on the street did i! i said i could easily run 1.8's on the street which is right in stock jeep srt8 territory on the track! clean tires...give me a break. and i run the same psi on my street tires at the track as i do on the street and have offered an explanation for that as well if you care to search for it.

seriously, quit now and save yourself further humiliation because you seriously were right, "you have no idea".
You claimed 1.71 at the track on "true street tires". Guess that's open to interpretation, huh? Everyone else seems to need DRs for it.

And as far as 1.8s on "NON-DRs", while very good, I'd take the consistent 1.8s of the JSRT-8 95% of the time at the track regardless of track surface, prep, conditions, etc. And on the street, 99% of the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK55 vs Jeep SRT8