Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL65 vs VW Phaeton V12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
SL65 vs VW Phaeton V12

Short run last night with a Phaeton with the 6L V12. I'd never seen one on the street before so when I saw it I thought what the heck is that? It was real classy because they had a new rug rolled up in the car and it was sticking out the passenger window a few feet. I followed it for a bit and saw it was the Phaeton and a V12 at that. I wanted to pass it but they were driving in the left lane and I would have to pass on the right and didn't want to get impaled on the rug sticking out. I eventually found an opening and shot around it. I guess he thought it was on and sped up and followed me. I'm not sure he knew what I was, just an MB to be taken down by his mighty V12! We got to a light and he moved over into the lane next to me. The battle of the V12s. Light turns green and I go in light on the throttle just enough to keep him even, I wanted to toy with him. I let him think he was keeping up for a few seconds then I mashed the gas the rest of the way and I could hear the turbos doing their thing and took an embarassingly huge jump forward. He didn't want to play anymore after that. He got back into my lane and I could see him smiling in the rear view mirror. Might have been just laughing at my tags.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Short run last night with a Phaeton with the 6L V12. I'd never seen one on the street before so when I saw it I thought what the heck is that? It was real classy because they had a new rug rolled up in the car and it was sticking out the passenger window a few feet. I followed it for a bit and saw it was the Phaeton and a V12 at that. I wanted to pass it but they were driving in the left lane and I would have to pass on the right and didn't want to get impaled on the rug sticking out. I eventually found an opening and shot around it. I guess he thought it was on and sped up and followed me. I'm not sure he knew what I was, just an MB to be taken down by his mighty V12! We got to a light and he moved over into the lane next to me. The battle of the V12s. Light turns green and I go in light on the throttle just enough to keep him even, I wanted to toy with him. I let him think he was keeping up for a few seconds then I mashed the gas the rest of the way and I could hear the turbos doing their thing and took an embarassingly huge jump forward. He didn't want to play anymore after that. He got back into my lane and I could see him smiling in the rear view mirror. Might have been just laughing at my tags.
I can't wait to join your club!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
I think that car uses the W12 engine, same in the Bentleys.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 PM

2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
It was real classy because they had a new rug rolled up in the car and it was sticking out the passenger window a few feet. I wanted to pass it but they were driving in the left lane and I would have to pass on the right and didn't want to get impaled on the rug sticking out.

i never understood why someone would spend that much on a VW. i mean they look like nice cars and all, but its still a VW, you know??
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Originally Posted by FThornton666
I think that car uses the W12 engine, same in the Bentleys.
Correct. Also VW makes the chassis for the Bently CGT and Flying Spur. The Phaeton uses the same Bently frames...or actually that would be their own frames then.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Same engine minus the twin turbos the Bentley has. 444bhp or thereabouts vs 550-600bhp in the Bentley. Both have very heavy frames compared to cars like the aluminum A8.

Reason why someone would buy the VW is either because they really don't want attention or they took advantage of the horrible resale and picked one up second hand.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:08 PM

CLK550
I saw a used Phaeton going for dirt cheap about a year ago. It looked like a really nice car, but I don't know......it's a friggin Volkswagen.