Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Took a new Z06 down a notch!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S600
Took a new Z06 down a notch!

I had an opportunity to go up against a new Vette Z06 last night on my way home. The perfect end to a horrible day!!
Anyhow, had to stop at the light at 710 and Northlake Blvd. (IN MEXICO) about to make a left on Northlake to go West. There was some newer chevy wagon in the left lane next to me with SS emblems on it. I thought this guy was going to try me. While still waiting at the light, I notice a new Vette pull up right behind me. Light turns green, and the guy next to me pulls away aggressively. I take off a little aggressively just to pull ahead of this chevy SS next to me. The Vette is right on my ***. I'm not even thinking of racing the C6. I've already dusted a bunch. Well, I pull ahead of the chevy next to me, and all of a sudden, this black Vette pulls into the lane next to me, downshifts, and floors it! He passes me, and I say to outloud, "Oh ****, it's a Z06," and I nail my pedal. I was already going about 50 mph when I hit it, and this Z06 is pulling away from me. 60, 70, 80, 90, wait a second, I'm pulling on him!! 100, 110, 120, 130, I'm passing him, 140, 150, 160, ++++ I'm gone. I have no idea how fast I was going. This damn speedo only goes to 160. I slow down and let him catch up. I give the Z06 a big thumbs up. He honks his horn to acknowledge. We keep going at normal speed, and he honks again and turns off into one of the gated communities, and I wave and head home.

Last edited by silver65; 12-29-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Originally Posted by silver65
I had an opportunity to go up against a new Vette Z06 last night on my way home. ...at 710 and Northlake Blvd. about to make a left on Northlake to go West. ...I'm pulling on him!! 100, 110, 120, 130, I'm passing him, 140, 150, 160, ++++ I'm gone. I have no idea how fast I was going. This damn speedo only goes to 160.
Northlake blvd, that is in Mexico City right? Nice kill them C6 Z06's are not slow. But then turbo's are not fair either and they really go on topend. Sorta like stealing candy from a babe. I like the turbo lag siggy at the bottom.

How fast is that S600 in the 1/4? Just curious. A stock C6 Z06 is capable of mid to low 11's @ 128 mph at sea level "If" it can hook up. They can topend at near 200 mph. By the same token, I saw a stock 600hp supercharged ZL1 barely trap a 12.24 ET but he was spinning in 3rd at the 1/8 mi pole due to cold weather and street tires and had to pedal it in every run. He never got it hooked up all night. Not doubting you at all but you must have one bad-***** V12 there. I know they are fast cause I have a friend with a S65 with a few go fast goodies on it and it is bad news too. It has to be a barrell of monkeys to smoke a supercar in a 4dr sedan, lol

Irish
Old 12-27-2008, 08:27 AM

2003 S600
I have never taken the 600 to the track. I'm also curious to see what will run in the 1/4. We have a track close by. I'll go one of these days. Wednesday and Friday are test and tune nights. I'll post after I do. And yes it is fun blowing cars away in a four door!!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I have never taken the 600 to the track. I'm also curious to see what will run in the 1/4. We have a track close by. I'll go one of these days. Wednesday and Friday are test and tune nights. I'll post after I do. And yes it is fun blowing cars away in a four door!!
Nice kill!!! Have you ever dynoed your S600 with all those RENNtech mods? I would suggest that you get a pair of drag radials out back. I think with drag radials you should be getting in the 11.0-11.3 range....assuming decent weather. Good luck!

Tom
Old 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM

2003 S600
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Nice kill!!! Have you ever dynoed your S600 with all those RENNtech mods? I would suggest that you get a pair of drag radials out back. I think with drag radials you should be getting in the 11.0-11.3 range....assuming decent weather. Good luck!

Tom
The only dyno was after Renntech ECU/TCU tuning. It was during the summer and very hot outside. HP was 501 and TQ 582. Only changes since then have been the Renntech intake, straight pipes, and HRE wheels.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Yea Z06's traps 120's. Either your car is an animal or the guy cant drive his Z06 at all.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
S600's with RENNtech ECU/TCU tunes have trapped as high as 123mph....so I think his car (which has the c/f airboxes and intercooler upgrade) has enough grunt to hang with a Z06..especially if the Z06 driver didn't know what he was up against.

Tom
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 AM

2003 S600
S600's with RENNtech ECU/TCU tunes have trapped as high as 123mph....so I think his car (which has the c/f airboxes and intercooler upgrade) has enough grunt to hang with a Z06..especially if the Z06 driver didn't know what he was up against.

Tom
I really don't think the guy expected me to come right after him and crawl up his a$$. After all, it's a sedan. And we started at around 50 mph. If we would have started from a dead stop for a quarter mile run, I believe he would have cooked me good.

I have had several fast cars. 993TT, M5's, Vipers, Vettes, 350zTT, to name a few. None of them pull as hard and long as the MB V12TT. The power never seems to end.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I'd bet the Z06 driver wasn't that slick with stick. Probably short shifted or something because for you to overtake a Z06 like that...it'd mean your car is capable of HIGH 120mph traps. Most Vette drivers are old geezers, but the Z06 owner is usually a performance enthusiast. Oh well. Good kill bro. The Z06 driver must have felt like sh*t after getting smoked by a big old bodystyle S-class.

Edit: Sorry I see you have Renntech mods. That would explain your high top end, although I still bet a properly driven Z06 would take ya lol. But in the real world, most driver's just can't get 100% of the potential out of that car. Good stuff dude.

Last edited by ItalianStallion; 12-29-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I'd bet the Z06 driver wasn't that slick with stick. Probably short shifted or something because for you to overtake a Z06 like that...it'd mean your car is capable of HIGH 120mph traps. Most Vette drivers are old geezers, but the Z06 owner is usually a performance enthusiast. Oh well. Good kill bro. The Z06 driver must have felt like sh*t after getting smoked by a big old bodystyle S-class.

Edit: Sorry I see you have Renntech mods. That would explain your high top end, although I still bet a properly driven Z06 would take ya lol. But in the real world, most driver's just can't get 100% of the potential out of that car. Good stuff dude.
I agree a properly driven Z06 is very hard to beat. There have been a few times that I underestimated the guy next to me and only gave it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle at first and ended up coming up short because of that initial hesitation. It happens...

Tom
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 PM

2003 S600

He was cool. He took it in stride and gave me a few honks! Hopefully I'll see him again and we can stop and talk. Like I said earlier, He probably didn't expect it! After all, A sedan???

My brother has a new Z06. We were going to go at it last month at his Birthday party. But after he had a few beers we both decided another time would be better! We will do it one of these days, and I will post results. Win or Lose!!!

Last edited by silver65; 12-29-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
He was cool. He took it in stride and gave me a few honks! Hopefully I'll see him again and we can stop and talk. Like I said earlier, He probably didn't expect it! After all, A sedan???

My brother has a new Z06. We were going to go at it last month at his Birthday party. But after he had a few beers we both decided another time would be better! We will do it one of these days, and I will post results. Win or Lose!!!
Excellent! Sounds great! Unfortunately, when I had my Z06 I never ran into a V12TT Benz. I was always curious how the outcome would be. And definitely a good judgement call not letting your brother drive! Let us know how it goes. And good sportsmanship
Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS55, R350

Exactly, alot of these guys see a luxo-barge and think they can just feather the throttle and walk away. By the time they realize that they need to stomp the go pedal to stay in the hunt, your already creeping away!!

I love the Z06, the wider fenders are pure sex.

Nice run
Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 PM

2003 S600
Originally Posted by DMW2
I love the Z06, the wider fenders are pure sex.

Nice run
Exactly. After looking at a Z06, then a standard C6, The standard C6 just doesn't cut it. All the C6's should look that way. They damn sure are sexy!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Exactly. After looking at a Z06, then a standard C6, The standard C6 just doesn't cut it. All the C6's should look that way. They damn sure are sexy!
Only real problem with the Z06 is it is too rough for a daily driver...that and if you need four doors. From what I understand, the ZR1 is a much nicer ride for daily driving as is the standard C6.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Timeless
Only real problem with the Z06 is it is too rough for a daily driver...that and if you need four doors. From what I understand, the ZR1 is a much nicer ride for daily driving as is the standard C6.
The Z06 can definitely be used as a daily driver. The 4 door vs 2 door argument applies to any 2 door car including SL's, 6 series, etc.

The Z06 is stiffer than a base C6 but the great torque allows easy shifting and 4/5th gear cruising around streets. It's pretty quiet when the exhaust baffles are closed. It has all the amenities you really need. Sound system isn't even half bad. It is low to the ground and you will scrape the front splitter here and there, but it's a cheap plastic piece and can be replaced if it gets too bad. The fake carbon fiber trim ain't the greatest though, and although the seats and all look pretty badass, the leather does fade and get miscolored and the excess plastic can get annoying. But the car is great in just about every way. For something with THAT much performance, it's pretty mind blowing how drivable it is. Also, 100k mile 5 year warranty is a nice bonus. You can get them for $10k+ off sticker brand new. Used ones are going for pocket change these days. I definitely give it 2 thumbs up.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
The Z06 can definitely be used as a daily driver. The 4 door vs 2 door argument applies to any 2 door car including SL's, 6 series, etc.

The Z06 is stiffer than a base C6 but the great torque allows easy shifting and 4/5th gear cruising around streets. It's pretty quiet when the exhaust baffles are closed. It has all the amenities you really need. Sound system isn't even half bad. It is low to the ground and you will scrape the front splitter here and there, but it's a cheap plastic piece and can be replaced if it gets too bad. The fake carbon fiber trim ain't the greatest though, and although the seats and all look pretty badass, the leather does fade and get miscolored and the excess plastic can get annoying. But the car is great in just about every way. For something with THAT much performance, it's pretty mind blowing how drivable it is. Also, 100k mile 5 year warranty is a nice bonus. You can get them for $10k+ off sticker brand new. Used ones are going for pocket change these days. I definitely give it 2 thumbs up.

Do you miss your Z06?

Tom
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Do you miss your Z06?

Tom
For the attention, RAW speed, life-threatening handling, sound, and badass factor, yeah.

But the M5 is a better car and I have no regrets switching over to the Bimmer. I may get another Vette or Viper down the road, we'll see. If I could have 1 car, it would most likely be a 997TT. I could definitely see that in my near future. I get bored of things very easily so I'll be switching back and forth without a doubt.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG

Not arguing as I have never had a Z06...just relaying the feedback I have gotten from individuals that have owned one.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Timeless
Not arguing as I have never had a Z06...just relaying the feedback I have gotten from individuals that have owned one.
I understand and I have heard the same thing. But after having put thousands of miles on an SL55, I was totally shocked at how civil the Z06 was. Take note: the '06 Z06 had a stiffer suspension and a different transmission than the '08 I had.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
I understand and I have heard the same thing. But after having put thousands of miles on an SL55, I was totally shocked at how civil the Z06 was. Take note: the '06 Z06 had a stiffer suspension and a different transmission than the '08 I had.
Thanks for the info.

If I could get by with two doors, I would seriously consider a Z06...but would still probably get an SL55....especially now that I am spoiled with the Benz fit and finish.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Bored

But the M5 is a better car and I have no regrets switching over to the Bimmer. I may get another Vette or Viper down the road, we'll see. If I could have 1 car, it would most likely be a 997TT. I could definitely see that in my near future. I get bored of things very easily so I'll be switching back and forth without a doubt.
Feel free to ship the Vette, Viper, or Porsche to KY when you get bored with them, as I will gladly give them good homes in a warm garage with promise of hitting redline at least once each time they go out to play.

Irish
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
If we would have started from a dead stop for a quarter mile run, I believe he would have cooked me good.
I disagree- I think you'd be much better off racing a Z06 from a dig than a roll.....75% of those guys couldn't 60ft their car worth a damn on the street if their life depended on it....you'd be in the 70-80mph range before he gathered his composure and attempted to suck you up. I'd love to see an average driver in a Z line up next to me in my 65 from a dig. He might run me down, but I'm 90% sure I'd be at least a car ahead by the time he grabbed 2nd.....and playin "catch-up with the V-12 TT aint easy

Anyway, nice kill- great story
Old 12-31-2008, 03:12 PM

2003 S600
Originally Posted by Busa196
I disagree- I think you'd be much better off racing a Z06 from a dig than a roll.....75% of those guys couldn't 60ft their car worth a damn on the street if their life depended on it....you'd be in the 70-80mph range before he gathered his composure and attempted to suck you up. I'd love to see an average driver in a Z line up next to me in my 65 from a dig. He might run me down, but I'm 90% sure I'd be at least a car ahead by the time he grabbed 2nd.....and playin "catch-up with the V-12 TT aint easy

Anyway, nice kill- great story
We'll see whenever my brother and I go at it. And I definitely agree, Playing Catch Up with the V12TT is tough!!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
I think the record on LS1tech.com for a bone stock Z06 (stock tires, good day at the track) was 10.99 as of a few months ago. I dont frequent that site though, so it may even be faster now. Your car must be one hell of a sleeper (for anyone not familiary with the car) if you can take a Z06. Kudos!

Edit:
Looks like it was a 10.98
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/1...lats/#comments

Last edited by SickSpeedMonte; 01-14-2009 at 10:52 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Took a new Z06 down a notch!