Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Toyota Tundra 5.7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG E55
Toyota Tundra 5.7

Sorry for wasting a thread and forum space but i had to get this off my mind. What are people thinking. I guess E55 is total sleeper.

Toyota tundra with 5.7 motor ,paper plates, and a young male driver, windows down, stereo blasting, etc.... I remember seeing a commercial about how fast this truck was. 0-60 in 5.7 in think. Whatever, I'm not here to race.

We're at a red light 3 lanes that merge into 2. I of course am in the outside lane that has to merge in. No sweat, I'll accelerate as normal, not obvious, and merge in with a few car lengths to spare. No danger here.

As I accelerate smoothly and my rear bumper passes the tundra's front bumper, I guess he decides I doesn't want to let me merge in and floor his new truck. I hear his motor rev and see a white wall of body panels out my passengers windows. So I be a dick, let him take a car length, then smoke him to the merge.

Why am I typing this? So lame! Sorry for wasting forum space.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
Glad to see your story. I was just on Oahu last week, and didn't see any 55s. I wondered how many were in the islands, and whether any of the local rice rocket racers that I saw ever saw or challenged one. I did see an older El Camino on the north shore that was jacked up, off road tires and a mean sound, but nothing else that looked remotely fast. Needless to say, I challenged no one in my Avis Chevy HHR!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
It is the sales hype at the Toyota dealership that causes this. They tell everyone that this truck spins the wheels through the first three gears.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Unless you are familiar with Mercedes, you wouldnt know that they are all that fast because most MB owners dont go racing them around and flaunting their power. Most people wouldnt recognize an AMG without the AMG badge, let alone know that they are packing a surprise under the hood.

Interesting story. I thought it was worht a post.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM

2007 ML63 ///AMG
to the OP: I know how you feel... a late model Honda Accord V6 tried the same thing with me a few weeks ago. We were both lined up at a light, and my lane would merge into his. I thought that when the light turned green I was would accelerate normally and slowly merge ahead of him. Well, when the light turned he gunned the accelerator.... I guess you know what happened next. Farther up the road is a school zone so I had to slow down to 30km/h at which point he caught up to me and proceeded to tailgate me for 2 blocks... (sigh)
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM

'05 C230 Kompressor SS
Nice.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by Timeless
It is the sales hype at the Toyota dealership that causes this. They tell everyone that this truck spins the wheels through the first three gears.
Maybe in the rain. With an empty bed
I hate the marketing hype that brainwashes those morons...
Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM

08' C350, Toyota Tundra
I have a Tundra I smoke 65's in it all day...NOTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Tundra

Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
Unless you are familiar with Mercedes, you wouldnt know that they are all that fast because most MB owners dont go racing them around and flaunting their power. Most people wouldnt recognize an AMG without the AMG badge, let alone know that they are packing a surprise under the hood.
SSMonte hit the nail on the head. 99.9% of MB owners are not necessarilly into performance so much as the luxury, quality side of their cars. That may even apply to a goodly number of us AMG owners. However, I suspect that a larger fraction of AMG owners might fall into the car guy, speed freak, performance enthusiast side of the spectrum. Yet, almost nobody out in the general public expects any MB to be fast. It so totally freaks them out when you drop the hammer on an AMG that usually they are left with nothing but a jaw drop and receeding AMG tailights off in the distance.

Before I drove my first AMG, I was only vaguely aware of them. I had known of and admired Mercedes for years and had driven and ridden in a few of them. But to me, I thought that the AMG Package was only a sporty trim package with wider tires and rims and cool aero bits on the body. I was aware of DTM racing and AMG's successes there but never dreamed that they shared all the good fast goods with the general public. Hooo Boy, was I in for a major education, the first time I got to drive a real AMG. It was like I had come home. Like, somebody had said: I am building a car just for you, where performance comes first, but without having to sacrifice luxury, quality, reliability or exclusivity. It is like Carrol Shelby took the Benz back to his shop and fixed all the stuff that was compromised by building to a price point and focused only on making it accellerate, handle and stop better. If it had a six speed manual or sequential instead of the slushbox, it would be "Perfect".

The Tundra is not slow for a full sized heavy weight pickup. It has a good bit of power, but should stick to picking on civics and scions, lol.

Last edited by JG26_Irish; 02-20-2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
Tundra hauls *** from a roll, no question about that
Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by dpavid
No sweat, I'll accelerate as normal, not obvious, and merge in with a few car lengths to spare. No danger here.

As I accelerate smoothly and my rear bumper passes the tundra's front bumper, I guess he decides I doesn't want to let me merge in and floor his new truck. I hear his motor rev and see a white wall of body panels out my passengers windows. So I be a dick, let him take a car length, then smoke him to the merge.

This was your first mistake...never assume people are nice and let you over when merging. No matter what you drive.

When I'm lined up like that and I need to merge. I floor it...it eliminates all doubt of what's going to happen. It gives you 10+ car lengths to merge, and the guy doesn't think you cut him off.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
This was your first mistake...never assume people are nice and let you over when merging. No matter what you drive.

When I'm lined up like that and I need to merge. I floor it...it eliminates all doubt of what's going to happen. It gives you 10+ car lengths to merge, and the guy doesn't think you cut him off.
You took the words outta my mouth. Everytime I try to drive civilized, or leave 1" for the person next to me to merge over, or cut me off, it happens. If I ever get into a situation like you mention above, I'm 90% throttle from the dead stop..... If they beat me there, they deserve to get in front of me.

I had that exact scenario happen to me about a month ago....except the Tundra you mention was a Harley in my case......this guy had more tats than brain cells....and would have killed himself had I not made such an effort to avoid the accident. If that had been Soccer Mom Salley, he'd be 6ft under.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM

2005 AMG E55
Originally Posted by jimmysanjuan
Glad to see your story. I was just on Oahu last week, and didn't see any 55s. I wondered how many were in the islands, and whether any of the local rice rocket racers that I saw ever saw or challenged one. I did see an older El Camino on the north shore that was jacked up, off road tires and a mean sound, but nothing else that looked remotely fast. Needless to say, I challenged no one in my Avis Chevy HHR!
I have only seen 2 others on the island in the past few years... Never seen an E63 on the road but they must be around.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 PM

2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
They're hiding in Hawaii Kai... When we honeymooning on Oahu (back in 1980) one of our friend's had the only S500's on the island. It's always nice to have a car very few others own.

Last edited by Dragoncoach; 02-20-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM

2004 E55 AMG
I agree, this thread is a waste of space.

You're comparing apples to oranges... the tundra's a >5000# truck designed for hauling stuff. Try hooking up a 6000# travel trailer to both vehicles and you'll see where the difference lies.

I've driven one before and yes, they are fast - not sports car fast but definitely hauls *** compared to most other trucks on the market right now.

I'd be more concerned about the tard that tried to race you - ffs, when you're driving a truck you make compromises! No you can't race people, or take turns fast, or do a lot of stupid **** that regular cars can do - the trade off is you can go just about anywhere and pull just about anything.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM

2007 ML63 ///AMG
Except if you have an ML63
Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 AM

1997 C36AMG
i odn't have one doubt in my mind those trucks don't pull great 0-60 times after all they hhave lots of torque depening on wat your racing those trucks with, think twice! or u may get your *** handed to u by truck lol...