Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLK550 VS C6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 G8 GXP M6
But you can compare the G8GXp with the LS3 in terms of mileage.

13/20
3995 lbs.

Very close.

Almost more of a comparison for the Eclass than the C.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:04 PM

09 G8 GXP M6
Additionally, with respect to the relative "antiquated" design of the LSx series engines, consider the folowing.

EPA rates the 2009 C63 at 13.3 ton of carbon/yr.
2009 G8 (6.0) - 10.4 ton.yr
2010 Camaro (LS3, similar weight to the C) - 9.8 ton/yr.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I'll concede to that point only if you upgrade to a horse and buggy to reduce your carbon footprint.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by vmspionage
To answer your question about weight and size, the M156 weighs in at 439lbs and the LS7 at 458lbs. I don't have the link on me where I read about the physical dimensions being smaller but you could probably find it on google.

On reliability the M156 is a closed deck design which increases the rigidity and durability of the cylinder walls.

The rigid bedplate design is the same used in Mercedes-Benz Motorsports race cars and is much stronger than individual caps in any given application. A rigid bedplate eliminates cap walk and reduces wear on the main bearings for high RPM engines like the M156. I'm not saying that you can't have a high performance engine that uses caps, just that they will wear quicker and are more prone to failure than a bedplate design. Why do you think they rebuild those 5000hp race cars after every race?

Interesting about the weight. I'll have to search. The bedplate design vs. end cap is also interesting. I wonder if an overall higher-rpm "life" of the motor dictates the bedplate design vs. the end caps.

And are bedplates a higher expense and more weight?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 06-24-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
And are bedplates a higher expense and more weight?
They certainly add more weight, but I'm not too sure how significant the expense is on a mass produced engine or why GM decided not to go that route with the LS7 (it may be due to reasons other than weight and cost, such as reusing LSx tooling)
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Originally Posted by Hercules86
i have a 2008 c6 ls3 z51 manual 6speed coupe. when it was stock i shatt all over any 550 benz like it was a joke. the same with every 55 i came across and the 63's were even worse.

my car now has 625hp with a camshaft and fullbolt ons finished by famous cartek in nj. any amg boys wanna see the back of my borla exhaust?

try that with your crappy amgs... i have had mercedes and they are the worst cars ever made and you gotta spend so much to get them modded.

Yawn?

You're supposedly (and I say supposedly, because I don't see a dyno sheet of this power from you) driving a car that puts down 625 HP, which weighs what, 3700??? lbs? And you're proud about beating cars that weigh almost 1500 lbs more than your rattle trap?

I'd rather take a "slower" AMG that will massage my nuts on the highway (at my choosing, not at the suspension's choosing), over a uber powerful Government Motors rattle trap. But, so long as you like it, you go with your bad self.

As far as saying that Mercedes costs more to mod than a Vette... I'd give you a primer on supply and demand, but I fear you wouldn't understand it.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 AM

Charger SRT-8
C6s rattle and weigh 3700lbs?!?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 AM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Yes. Rattle. I have NEVER been in a GM that didn't rattle when it hit a pothole.

And Apparently, according to google they weigh less, around 3200 lbs.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM

09 G8 GXP M6
Originally Posted by Sathinas
I'd rather take a "slower" AMG that will massage my nuts on the highway (at my choosing, not at the suspension's choosing), over a uber powerful Government Motors rattle trap.
And maybe that sums up the complete debate.. to quote an earlier post

Are you a "it's how fast you go" sort of person. Someone that enjoys pushing the limits of your vehicle on the track or strip occasionally.

Or are you a "it's how you go fast" person, to quote you, who want's his "nuts" massaged. (no slam intended, just made for good press )

I always find myself in these sorts of choices and trade-offs. For me, it always goes like this (and ends of costing me dollars).

1) Buy a cool street car
2) Enjoy said cool street car
3) Get the bug to mod and track said cool street car
4) Figure dollars needed to properly track car
5) Calculate exposure if street car is wadded up in a ball
6) Find good used race car
7) Buy race car
8) Sell street car for tow vehicle
9) Tire of driving tow vehicle every day
10) Start looking to sell race car and buy cool street car
Repeat cycle.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by bullydog
And maybe that sums up the complete debate.. to quote an earlier post

Are you a "it's how fast you go" sort of person. Someone that enjoys pushing the limits of your vehicle on the track or strip occasionally.

Or are you a "it's how you go fast" person, to quote you, who want's his "nuts" massaged. (no slam intended, just made for good press )

I always find myself in these sorts of choices and trade-offs. For me, it always goes like this (and ends of costing me dollars).

1) Buy a cool street car
2) Enjoy said cool street car
3) Get the bug to mod and track said cool street car
4) Figure dollars needed to properly track car
5) Calculate exposure if street car is wadded up in a ball
6) Find good used race car
7) Buy race car
8) Sell street car for tow vehicle
9) Tire of driving tow vehicle every day
10) Start looking to sell race car and buy cool street car
Repeat cycle.
There's a lot of truth to this. For me if it were just about speed I'd pick up a Hayabusa for $12k that would smoke every car on mbworld and corvetteforum, except maybe the guys with over 100k in mods. Then I'd just pick up a $2000 turbo kit and smoke them too. I think a true sports car enthusiast shouldn't just stick with one make and model - go try new things, enjoy what else the world has to offer. Trust me, I wouldn't feel bad at all if I got smoked by a Z06, Mustang, Honda Civic, or whatever in any of the AMG lineup.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Charger SRT-8
I would feel bad getting smoked by a Honda Civic.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I would feel bad getting smoked by a Honda Civic.
There are more than a few daily driven 9 second quarter Honda Civics out there. You can make anything go fast.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by vmspionage
There are more than a few daily driven 9 second quarter Honda Civics out there. You can make anything go fast.
No denying making anything go fast.

But a daily driven (street tires, pump gas) 9 second Honda Civic? Highly, highly doubtful. And in street trim, it won't run 9s either. Maybe, what, low 11s?

If you can direct me to a link or article, I would be curious to read it.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
vms has no clue what he is talking about lawl. Go get a Hayabusa first and then retell me the story of how you will smoke any Vette on the forums... might as well get a casket while you are at it.

You think you can just hop on a bike like that and start beating 11 second cars? Hate to break it to you, but it's no automatic where you mash the pedal and pretend you are enjoying the driving experience
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Sclass
c63 guys especially jons ahahhahaha..... you think your slow c63 can take my 625 hp z51 6speed.... please come try... if your so confident heres 5grand ill be 1 buslength and worse by 100mph and climbing.

like kindafast said stone age tech hahah yea right thats why there making the most power out of any engine type from any other car manufacturer in production. have fun with your m156 .... your driving a 450hp C class aka BIATCHESS car lol ahaha
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 PM

Sclass
Originally Posted by Gondon
So why don't you guys race

no race with that guy cause all he would see would be the smoke from my c6's ***
Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 AM

Charger SRT-8
I don't get the "most power from any engine type" commnet.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Sclass
I don't get the "most power from any engine type" commnet.

i meant to say comparing any factory mercedes engine to factory gm engine and allowing them to be modded as much as you can that the gm engines make much more power.

you cant squeeze that much more power out of the mb engines maybe 100 or 200hp max if you lucky.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
i meant to say comparing any factory mercedes engine to factory gm engine and allowing them to be modded as much as you can that the gm engines make much more power.

you cant squeeze that much more power out of the mb engines maybe 100 or 200hp max if you lucky.
No, that is completely incorrect. An engine is an airpump. They operate the same way but get there with with different components. You pump in 7.25 psi of boost and, given proper fuel and timing, you will increase the power by 50% and at 14.5 psi you will double the power. It's not rocket science.

There are more Chevy engines produced than Mercedes engines. The Chevy engines and components are much cheaper to replace by virtue of an economy of scale. With the greater production scale and much simplier design, it makes them less expensive to modify and parts cheaper. Fewer people are willing to push the envelope on the Mercedes engines because of the expense to replace if something goes wrong.

You can get the HP from a Mercedes engine but it will just cost more money, The auto tranny does not help things because it greatly limits the power that it can handle. You would need to greatly modify the tranny or convert to a manual trannny and clutch. Cost to modify the Mercedes to the 1,000+ hp is extremely expensive and complex. We won't even mention having to crack and modify all the electronics to cope with and fuel the the increased power.

Ask Renntech if they are limited to 100 or 200 hp. They will tell you that the limit to the hp you want will be your wallet.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Sclass
Originally Posted by BlownV8
You can get the HP from a Mercedes engine but it will just cost more money, The auto tranny does not help things because it greatly limits the power that it can handle. You would need to greatly modify the tranny or convert to a manual trannny and clutch. Cost to modify the Mercedes to the 1,000+ hp is extremely expensive and complex. We won't even mention having to crack and modify all the electronics to cope with and fuel the the increased power.

this is what i meant to say....

Last edited by Hercules86; 06-26-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by BlownV8
No, that is completely incorrect. An engine is an airpump. They operate the same way but get there with with different components. You pump in 7.25 psi of boost and, given proper fuel and timing, you will increase the power by 50% and at 14.5 psi you will double the power. It's not rocket science.

There are more Chevy engines produced than Mercedes engines. The Chevy engines and components are much cheaper to replace by virtue of an economy of scale. With the greater production scale and much simplier design, it makes them less expensive to modify and parts cheaper. Fewer people are willing to push the envelope on the Mercedes engines because of the expense to replace if something goes wrong.

Ask Renntech if they are limited to 100 or 200 hp. They will tell you that the limit to the hp you want will be your wallet.
Well written.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by Gondon
So why don't you guys race
Y dont you race me with your S500 ??

no race with that guy cause all he would see would be the smoke from my c6's ***
ahahahah who cares you drive a chevy !!!! Lets have a who can pick up more girls contest .
Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Originally Posted by E55AMGGG04
Y dont you race me with your S500 ??
I would if it had 500 ponies lol
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by E55AMGGG04
ahahahah who cares you drive a chevy !!!! Lets have a who can pick up more girls contest .

Having a Chevy is definitely way worse than using your car as a peen extension...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 AM

2006 CL600
Interesting debate here
Having owned both I can find strong and weak points with both marques. A Corvette is a great American muscle car, and the newer ones are surely great leaps for GM in design and engineering, and sorely overdo I would add.

After all the chest thumping is over with they are very different cars built for very different purposes, but the one fact that can't be ignored is initial and long term quality. Someone commented about the rental car grade interior of the 'Vette, which has been noted by anyone who has ever sat in one. Even more disturbing is the rear bumper cover which has so little support that you can press on it anywhere and watch with discomfort as the entire thing flexes almost to the point of snapping. Not bashing here, just stating facts. Like I said I have owned both, but my 'Vette had almost as many vertical miles on it as it did horizontal, so for me, I stay far, far away from General Maintenence. Some people have had reliability issues with their MBs as well, but GM is known for it across every brand they make and that will have me looking elsewhere for kicks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK550 VS C6