Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL55 vs Ferrari Challenge Stradale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
SL55 vs Ferrari Challenge Stradale

I had a free morning today so I got up early and headed out to one of my favorite roads that has 15+ miles of switchbacks, decreasing and increasing radius turns and lots of elevation changes. Nirvana!

Going early on a weekday morning insures a clean and swift run. I have been driving the CS allot so I decided to give the SL55 some exercise. The 550 lb ft of tq is brilliant coming out of corners, and all the electronics in the suspension help this car hide its 4000 pound heft. AMG did a great job with this car. It doesn't have the feel of a CS, but its purpose is different.

On the last 2 miles before I get to the technical bits I see something coming up on me in the distance. I'm already doing 80 and he's coming....... HARD! As I try to make out what it is....... the first thing I notice is it's red...... a very familiar rosso. I think its a Ferrari. Then I notice the tell tale boy racer stripe of a Stradale. I wonder if it's one of my friends?

Just as that thought is crossing my mind, he screams past me! You gotta love that V8 wail! Montana tags. I have no idea who it is. Must be a 'snow bird' out for a blast. I've been doing this canyon for 20+ years... let's see what he's got! So I blip down a couple of gears and squeeze the loud pedal..... and its off to the races!

I reel the CS in and I catch him glancing in his rearview and see him shake his head. With that he downshifts and tries to open the gap. He ain't going anywhere, as I'm right with him. His car sounds great, but stock, so I know he's got nothing on me on the straights, but 'my' 15 miles of 'fun' is coming up FAST! He should have no problem with the 55, but I know this road very well. Sounds like some potential.

The first few corners are sweepers and the big Merc and CS are locked through the apexes. This could be good! We are now in for a series of second and third gear corners with elevation changes. Here we go! NOT! He was off line and all over the place. By the third corner it was painfully obvious that he was holding me up.

The next section is a short uphill straight with a right at the top of the hill. The road goes to a downhill straight into a decreasing radius left. So I decide that I am going to get him at the bottom of the hill into the left.

I give him a little gap heading up the hill, so I have a good run at him downhill to the left. I come out to the downhill like a bull out the shoot. In moments I am on him right at the braking zone, so I tuck to the inside for the pass and off I go!

Within two corners he's nothing but a memory and I finish the run. This was one of the few times I have not run into any SUVs, or boat trailers on this road. Nirvana!

At the end of the run I pull over and decide to wait for my prancing friend. After what seems like hours, I see the CS coming into view. I am out of the car and waving. Did he stop? Did he flash his lights? Did he nod his head? Nada! Zip! Nothing! Huh? Did I just get dissed by a Ferrari guy? I should have brought my CS!

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 02-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
you should write for thetruthaboutcars.com
Old 02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
you should write for thetruthaboutcars.com
I'll check it out. I currently write for www.auto-journals.com

It's a UK based site.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dino,

Awesome writing. I feel like I am there. You are convincing me that AZ is the place to be!

Regards,
RK
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hrothgar02
Dino,

Awesome writing. I feel like I am there. You are convincing me that AZ is the place to be!

Regards,
RK
Every place has it's plusses and minuses. AZ is a pretty good place. We have great weather for the most part, a very active car community and the economy has been consistently vibrant.

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 02-14-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amg
Was this pass made on a 2 lane or you stuffed him on the shoulder? Im confused
Please describe as Im thinking you passed him by crossing over the double yellow line around a corner
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 118E63
Was this pass made on a 2 lane or you stuffed him on the shoulder? Im confused
Please describe as Im thinking you passed him by crossing over the double yellow line around a corner
It was a passing zone.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amg
Gotcha..he must have been like,WTF just happened lol!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You're kill stories are always the stuff of legend Dino, but I gotta admit, if I saw a guy out of his car waving, I would think he wanted to "get it on" and not like Barney Frank.

Nevertheless, I was right there with ya in the corners.....great report!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
You're kill stories are always the stuff of legend Dino, but I gotta admit, if I saw a guy out of his car waving, I would think he wanted to "get it on" and not like Barney Frank.

Nevertheless, I was right there with ya in the corners.....great report!
When I caught him 'shaking his head' and then punching it..... it was game on, and he really felt that his car was going to handle the SL55. In reality, it would, but as always it is the variable behind the wheel that makes the difference.

.... On a completely different note...... How does a guy like Barney Frank keep getting elected?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Thanks for posting this, it was a great read
Old 06-03-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mars Red 2005 C230k, 2001 E320 4matic
Awesome read, too bad a ferrari owner finds himself above anyone to not have a friendly convo about cars. Probly a guy who just drives it because his girlfriend thinks it's (Hot).