Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Greetings! Kill from my GL450. Yes the big barge.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Innocent_Stud
^Nice one. Check dragtimes like I did for a better idea...

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html

14.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile at 93 mph is what I feel is stronger towards the real world performance of the GL450. At least for mine.
Based upon what? Have you taken it to a strip or something similar?

Anyway, that link is for a run with no slip, no video, no name of track or date, basically no figures other than ET and trap, not exactly ironclad proof that any and all GL450s will run a 14.8 at 93, any more than if I went there and posted a run of a Bluetec running a 14.9 @ 96 with no slip etc...any Joe Blow can go in there and post any numbers he likes; at least a slip shows something ran it....

Here is a similar example from dragtimes.com of a stock 2007 E320 Bluetec, which claims a 15.1 at 92, so even if both are accurate, a 1 mph difference in trap isn't exactly buslengths:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-11709.html

And here's another of a stock 2004 E320 CDI (predecessor to Bluetec, same body etc) running a 14.9 @ 93:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-3291.html

So I feel my GL450 should definitely be able to pull a E320 Bluetech stock.
Maybe so and maybe not....numbers at your preferred site don't show any substantive difference, so run is within margin of error and would be a driver's race. And the instrumented runs you want to dismiss at Edmunds were one tenth apart, so it's not as if you're in Porsche territory vs him in Honda Civic territory or something, these numbers are neck and neck.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-08-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63

14.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile at 93 mph is what I feel is stronger towards the real world performance of the GL450. At least for mine. So I feel my GL450 should definitely be able to pull a E320 Bluetech stock.
I've been here for nearly six years now...word of suggestion - Improviz is the last person I'd argue with when it comes to this stuff. The man is a walking drag time encyclopedia.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM

03 Nissan Altima 2.5S, 07 MB GL450
Originally Posted by Improviz
Based upon what? Have you taken it to a strip or something similar?

Anyway, that link is for a run with no slip, no video, no name of track or date, basically no figures other than ET and trap, not exactly ironclad proof that any and all GL450s will run a 14.8 at 93, any more than if I went there and posted a run of a Bluetec running a 14.9 @ 96 with no slip etc...any Joe Blow can go in there and post any numbers he likes; at least a slip shows something ran it....

Here is a similar example from dragtimes.com of a stock 2007 E320 Bluetec, which claims a 15.1 at 92, so even if both are accurate, a 1 mph difference in trap isn't exactly buslengths:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-11709.html

And here's another of a stock 2004 E320 CDI (predecessor to Bluetec, same body etc) running a 14.9 @ 93:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-3291.html

Maybe so and maybe not....numbers at your preferred site don't show any substantive difference, so run is within margin of error and would be a driver's race. And the instrumented runs you want to dismiss at Edmunds were one tenth apart, so it's not as if you're in Porsche territory vs him in Honda Civic territory or something, these numbers are neck and neck.
I like your reasoning(s).

All I know is (at least for me in the real world runs that I have done before), I was a little bit (about 1 car length) ahead of a newer Cadillac Escalade after 60 mph. And if you want you can look those up too. Not the larger ESV ones but the regular "lighter" sized ones. They aren't exactly slow either and have trapped around 15 seconds in the 1/4 mile at over 93 mph before. This may sound irrelevant but if I'm close to that or a little faster than an Escalade in real world, then I know I'm likely faster than a stock E class diesel...

Is the proof that you require HAVE to be a hard copy type document posted on dragtimes WITH a photo of a slip and all that? What if I just post something from motortrend indicating otherwise from a publication? Would that be good enough?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Scroll down for the performance statistics indicated by MT. Yes it showed the Escalade trapped 1 mph faster but they're around dead even. Driver's race between that, my GL450 and a stock E class bluetech today and of the older? Possibly... I wouldn't mind randomly running one.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I like your reasoning(s).

All I know is (at least for me in the real world runs that I have done before), I was a little bit (about 1 car length) ahead of a newer Cadillac Escalade after 60 mph. And if you want you can look those up too. Not the larger ESV ones but the regular "lighter" sized ones. They aren't exactly slow either and have trapped around 15 seconds in the 1/4 mile at over 93 mph before. This may sound irrelevant but if I'm close to that or a little faster than an Escalade in real world, then I know I'm likely faster than a stock E class diesel...
Possibly, but even if so, you're missing my point, which was that the two vehicles are quite close, so we aren't talking a blowout here in any case.

Is the proof that you require HAVE to be a hard copy type document posted on dragtimes WITH a photo of a slip and all that? What if I just post something from motortrend indicating otherwise from a publication? Would that be good enough?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
Well, the InsideLine test I cited wasn't that fast, so we certainly can't just simply state that this test establishes the norm and dismiss the other one out of hand, and in that publication the two were very close...unfortunately I can't find any other GL450 tests to cross-check; C&D has an intro page on their site but no numbers, no help there.

Scroll down for the performance statistics indicated by MT. Yes it showed the Escalade trapped 1 mph faster but they're around dead even. Driver's race between that, my GL450 and a stock E class bluetech today and of the older? Possibly... I wouldn't mind randomly running one.
Sure, when only a few tenths separate vehicles it's always a driver's race (actually more than a few tenths depending...error and reaction time add up to well over a couple of tenths). You do have one advantage w/the AWD, can get a better launch with that.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM

I see. Very nice. You're actually a very nice well informed member here unlike other most people I see on here. Respectful too. I thank you for that and not for immediately trying to make fun of me etc.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
I see. Very nice. You're actually a very nice well informed member here unlike other most people I see on here. Respectful too. I thank you for that and not for immediately trying to make fun of me etc.

Dude, i do race sometimes with my wife 06 Odyssey when I am by myself but never won .........
Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM

clk63 black series
Why is everyone always hating? SHEESH
Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011

14.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile at 93 mph is what I feel is stronger towards the real world performance of the GL450. At least for mine. So I feel my GL450 should definitely be able to pull a E320 Bluetech stock.
But why in the world you wanna pull a E320 Bluetech
Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by CharlyE500
But why in the world you wanna pull a E320 Bluetech
Somebody else and I were comparing stats and this and that. Just comparing opinions, stats (facts). People nowadays will run anything they have and not just me.