Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

C32 vs WRX STi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 vs WRX STi

Been looking at the STis at local Subaru dealership......turbo, 300 horse and 300 torque. I haven't researched it but thats the specs the techs/serv manager told me. I was just wondering how a race would go between the Subaru and C32?

Also, while looking at a new SL500, one of the Subaru techs asked me how it would fare against the same STi I spoke of above. 302hp the SL500 has I believe......

Forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions but I didnt have a decent response for the Suba tech.

I'm interested to hear your opinions if someone asked you.

BTW: not rally races!
Old 07-12-2003, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: C32 vs WRX STi

Originally posted by EH MG
Been looking at the STis at local Subaru dealership......turbo, 300 horse and 300 torque. I haven't researched it but thats the specs the techs/serv manager told me. I was just wondering how a race would go between the Subaru and C32?

Also, while looking at a new SL500, one of the Subaru techs asked me how it would fare against the same STi I spoke of above. 302hp the SL500 has I believe......

Forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions but I didnt have a decent response for the Suba tech.

I'm interested to hear your opinions if someone asked you.

BTW: not rally races!
an STi would go faster than a C32 from a 0-to whatever......from a roll, the c32 might have a good chance, the sl500 would get crushed by an STi, all the wheight doesnt help, a E500 i believe is faster than a SL...now, a SL55 vs a STi would be close, im sure the 55 would win that race
Old 07-12-2003, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
C32's auto has consistency; with a manual, times will always vary by several tenths.

From 0-60, STi would be faster with an *excellent* driver who will abuse his drivetrain, but keep this in mind: to get the sub-five second 0-60 times you see in that car's mag tests, one has to rev it up to 4-5000 rpm and drop the clutch. Not good for the drivetrain. Oh, and then they have to time the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts perfectly and execute them with lightning speed...

There are very few drivers who are capable of matching the mag's times, and even fewer who can do it consistently. I've consistently beaten M3s and M5s down low and up high, have never lost to one of them, but the mags' times are a few tenths faster. Moral: don't believe everything you read.

A more-telling time is the 5-60 mph time, which takes the 5000 rpm dropped-clutch launch advantage out of the picture: Car & Driver got 5.8 seconds in the WRX STi, compared to 5.2 in the C32, meaning the C32 would win that one by several lengths.

And again, even to get 5.8, which would still be seeing nothing but C32 taillights, the STi driver has to time and execute his shifts perfectly. The C32 driver only has to punch it. There is a reason why bracket racers normally use automatic trannies! :-)

Also note that even if the driver of the WRX STi *is* perfect, at higher speeds the C32 will catch him. Here is the Road & Track acceleration data for both:

C32 STi
0-40 2.7 2.5
0-60 5.1 4.9
0-80 8.3 8.0
0-100 12.2 12.6

This, coupled with the 5-60 data, shows that from a rolling start, it should be all C32, at any speed. From a dead start, it will boil down to drivers' skill.

Having said all of that, the STI is an incredibly fun ride, and will outrun a C32 on a track, but as an everyday driver, it is *stiff* and noisy. Here's Car & Driver's shootout with the EVO VIII:

Shootout!

And here is Road & Track's shootout of the same two cars:
Another shootout!

So, it depends on your priorities. Want luxury, status and everyday drivability? Benz. Highest priority handling and breaking? Like to shift? STi. Decisions, decisions!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
Re: C32's auto has consistency; with a manual, times will always vary by several tenths.

Originally posted by Improviz

A more-telling time is the 5-60 mph time, which takes the 5000 rpm dropped-clutch launch advantage out of the picture: Car & Driver got 5.8 seconds in the WRX STi, compared to 5.2 in the C32, meaning the C32 would win that one by several lengths.

yeah what he said. The mitsu Evo is even slower in its 5-60 time. if I remember correctly its around 6.2 sec. The C32 would kill it. Also how many 5000rpm drops does that clutch have in it? I believe the S200 also has around a 6.7 5-60 time as well
Old 07-19-2003, 01:23 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
just hand both keys to the guys at MotorTrend and see what they'll do.

they got the C32 to run 4.77 0-60 mph. and they've also ran the EVO 8 at 4.6 second 0-60. The EVO 8 is quicker than the STi. either way, I wouldn't risk touching these guys in STi or EVO 8 off the line. However, I've killed an EVO 8 on the freeway.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-19-2003 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I think MT has found the stickiest dragstrip, because

they're always significantly faster than what the other mags get, in both the manuals *and* the autos. Not quite sure what's up with that, but I'd sure like to go do some runs on their test track!!

Originally posted by FrankW
just hand both keys to the guys at MotorTrend and see what they'll do.

they got the C32 to run 4.77 0-60 mph. and they've also ran the EVO 8 at 4.6 second 0-60. The EVO 8 is quicker than the STi. either way, I wouldn't risk touching these guys in STi or EVO 8 off the line. However, I've killed an EVO 8 on the freeway.