Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

300D Turbo vs tuned VW Beetle (old version)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300D, 1990 300TE
300D Turbo vs tuned VW Beetle (old version)

I'm quite new to this forum/group but have been a regular at Benz World, anyway I posted my race a few weeks ago.

I would love to write it all down again but I feel the original post conveys the general atmosphere of the experience, so I'll just copy/paste it here. You can find the thread at: http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/th...posts=7&fid=10

Here goes...

I went out for a drive at midnight, just on the surface roads here in Anaheim. I pulled up at a stoplight, and some VW old Beetle also pulled up. Two guys, mid 20's or 30's. Heavily set up VW (you know, those ones with huge engines at the back, with matching tires).

Light turned green, I floored the pedal, and so did he. He was looking at me furiously like seeing if I was still there, I grinned. 2nd gear kicked in, the shift characteristic of my car is that it lurches forward, I don't know about others. But that proved great this time, as the car's nose inched past his. Then I pressed on until a light ahead was turning yellow.

40mph and still pressing on, but ahead was a stop light. Yellow. We both stopped. He looked at me, smiled, and I returned with a smile of my own.

He was revving up, so I closed the ACC and rolled down windows, his car was noisier than I thought. My car really damped the sound. ANyway...

Cross street light turned red, so our turn to go green. Green light. I was late on stepping the pedal, and he went ahead slightly. Another hard shift lurched the car, he was frantic as I could see it in his face. 40mph, and a clear road. Wow.

I didn't want to catch any attention, so I didn't floor it fully. But he was really going for it, so I thought fine, I raced him to 60mph on street roads and he couldn't go past it (short transmission of his VW?). I was way ahead already, I saw him drop back. He dropped off a friend, so I made a U-turn, going back home. He also U-turned, and while I was stopped on the thru lane, he went to the left turning lane. Looked at him, he looked back, nodded his head, the light turned green, and we parted ways, smiling.

I guess it was really fun, but a bit careless. But worth it. Damn! I really love this car!

-----

I still don't understand why such a huge, 21-year-old car like mine would be able to beat his tuned 30+ year old VW that's much lighter than mine. But come to think of it, I wouldn't want to know after all...
Old 08-24-2004, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Good run !! I saw your car on August 21, 2004 at the meet.. ....It a very clean car...... ...Too bad we didn't meet... ..Maybe next time.... ...
Old 08-24-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300D, 1990 300TE
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS
Good run !! I saw your car on August 21, 2004 at the meet.. ....It a very clean car...... ...Too bad we didn't meet... ..Maybe next time.... ...
Thanks! Hey I thought we met? Well, it was nice seeing you and your car there too. Got closer to your car and smelled that "new car smell" and I realized it was well maintained.