M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Random cracking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random cracking

Hello everyone
I recently bought a 2002 ml320.
Anyways today it was freezing outside (like 0 degrees farenheit with windchill)
So i started the car and waited for it to warm up. While im waiting for it i hear cracking. The windsheild cracked straight across!!! do u guys think its covered under warranty? which it should be since it cracked outta nowhere.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by NK1983
Hello everyone
I recently bought a 2002 ml320.
Anyways today it was freezing outside (like 0 degrees farenheit with windchill)
So i started the car and waited for it to warm up. While im waiting for it i hear cracking. The windsheild cracked straight across!!! do u guys think its covered under warranty? which it should be since it cracked outta nowhere.
Do you have factory warranty or some kind of xtended warranty. Problem is it's hard to prove that it just cracked, even though I've seen this happen to other cars. In one case, the rear window just blew out due to pressure inside the car, on the highway at speed!!!!! You'd want to work something out with your Service Advisor. They may pick up the tab for this if you plead your case nicely.

On the other hand, your insurance must have full glass coverage - or, doesn't it? That may be another route though the may make you gate non OEM glass which I don't recommend. If they do this, tell them you'll pay for the difference to get the OEM glass.

Last edited by Darkmann; 03-08-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
In MA its state law the insurance has to pay for front windshield replacement... call your service rep and ask them if they will deal with your insurance, sometimes they will do all the running around for you, its amazing...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darkmann
Do you have factory warranty or some kind of xtended warranty. Problem is it's hard to prove that it just cracked, even though I've seen this happen to other cars. In one case, the rear window just blew out due to pressure inside the car, on the highway at speed!!!!! You'd want to work something out with your Service Advisor. They may pick up the tab for this if you plead your case nicely.

On the other hand, your insurance must have full glass coverage - or, doesn't it? That may be another route though the may make you gate non OEM glass which I don't recommend. If they do this, tell them you'll pay for the difference to get the OEM glass.
Im under factory warranty and my insurance also covers it. thing is i figured if my insurance paid for it my premiums would go up. ANyone ever rplace a windsheild? how much did ur premiums go up?
ALso i think MB should foot the bill since its kind of unacceptable for the glass to be unable to withstand such temp. changes in such an expensive car..or maybe i expect oo much
Old 03-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

glass is glass, its the same in all cars, its the one thing that doesnt change. If your insurance pays for it, your premiums will not go up. They crack too frequent for them to care. Its a special category I believe. Dont worry bout it, bring it to the dealership have them do it and charge the insurance company. If you bring it to the dealership to get it covered under warranty they will prolly have insurance pay for it either way!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
glass is glass, its the same in all cars, its the one thing that doesnt change. If your insurance pays for it, your premiums will not go up. They crack too frequent for them to care. Its a special category I believe. Dont worry bout it, bring it to the dealership have them do it and charge the insurance company. If you bring it to the dealership to get it covered under warranty they will prolly have insurance pay for it either way!!!
You crack me up 55. Glass isn't just glass and I won't go into the chemistry. I'll forgive you becasue you're still in school. For the case here, the rain sensor is part of the windshield - so, if the windshield goes, so does the rain sensor. Not to say that MB makes the best rain sensor/wiper combo, but if you replace the ML's windshield, you're not only replacing the glass, you're also replacing the rain sensor - just something to consider.

Now, as far as the insurance thing is concerned, normally it shouldn't raise an eyebrow unless you have other claims within the past year or so - including home owner's.

Also, you just don't change insurance like that - depending on your history with the insurance industry, you may find that a lot of insurance companies will flat out refuse to insure you at almost any price!!! That's the reality of our insurance ownership. Also, if you drop one company and start with another, you will not transfer over any long-time customer discounts you must have accrued with your current company. Sometimes, you may even get away with one accident/points for being committed to one company, while your new company may penalize you. So be very careful when you do the switch!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

touche, my ml55 has no rain sensor, so it is another pain of glass. I understand what you are saying though... range rovers had wires for defrost running through them in the front windshield. Although my statement was a very broad and general statement other than certain exceptions(lightweight for example) and details from window to window, a windshield is a windshield as long as it doesnt have a rain sensor or defrost or the like in it...Dman is that better, lol?

I did not speak of changing insurance companies though so I am not sure where that came from.

Here in Mass though insurance does have to pay for windshield replacement and can not charge you a premium for that claim. My mothers was changed twice last year and it did not effect it. One was caused because a rock bounced up and left a nick in the glass and then the weather cracked it, and the other I cant remember maybe a rock or baseball or something left the windshield spiderwebbed...
Old 03-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

but as far as the glass is glass comment I was refering to everything that was being poured in over the sensors and what not... the basics of glass differ from pain to pain? they dont chage drastically enough to matter?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:45 AM

Oh man the stealership is annoying me
Im supposed to bring the car in at like 830 for the service manager to "look" at it and determine how it cracked. I replied that that was fine but I still needed to have it replaced so i assume they have the glass there. No we dont we have to special order it and itll take upto 4 business days. are you kidding me?!? I called these people a few days ago and made this appointment to REPLACE my windsheild, not to let the service manager give me his opinion on my windshelid and then come back a week later. And im supposed to road trip on saturday. Do you gentlemen think it would be unsafe to drive it while its cracked for a 300 mile trip?
TIA
Old 03-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

do you have a pic of hw bad its cracked?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The reason your windshield cracked is most likely it had been damaged. This damage could have been imperceptable to the eye. It also could have had a manufacturing defect but thats unlikely as its been there a while without a problem. Temp changes can exacerbate any damage and cause a crack. Windshield failure is not a common occurance in the ML. Thats why the dealer did not stock one. As far as ordering on your phone call I would not have either. You could have gone elsewhere or decided not to do it at the last minute then he is stuck with a windshield sitting there for possibly years.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sosh
The reason your windshield cracked is most likely it had been damaged. This damage could have been imperceptable to the eye. It also could have had a manufacturing defect but thats unlikely as its been there a while without a problem. Temp changes can exacerbate any damage and cause a crack. Windshield failure is not a common occurance in the ML. Thats why the dealer did not stock one. As far as ordering on your phone call I would not have either. You could have gone elsewhere or decided not to do it at the last minute then he is stuck with a windshield sitting there for possibly years.
Ill have to agree on ordering the windshield i just got a little worked up
after further inspection they claimed it was not most likely previously damaged
UPDATE: the situation has been rectified quite well and I will have my new windshield tommorow. Apparently they sourced it from somewhere close.

55fanatic: i could post a pic if you're interested, the crack is all the way across minus a couple of inches towards the bottom of the windshield.
on a side note, i got my front windows tinted matched to my backs..looks sexy..all black now..
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

nah no need but thanks for the offer. keep us posted on how the windshield replacement goes. Post pics of the tinted windows...