M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Drive Axle Broke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Exclamation Drive Axle Broke

Hey guys I need some input ASAP before my insurance company D!cks me over. My ML has been in the body shop the last few weeks and they are saying itll be done soon. There was a problem mechanically with the truck soon after the accident well the problem led to a broken drive axle. My insurance doesnt want to pay for it and I am wondering if its one of those things that just brakes... my experience is that axles dont just break EVER...

vehicle specs... MY 2000(06/00) ML55 has approximately 80k miles on it

Accident was a front end collision and the drive axle is located at the rear. Frame of the vehicle is fine I am told. I have talked to a few people about it and they have stated that that is not a problem the ML has and have never heard of such a thing breaking on one...
Old 03-15-2005, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Never heard of one breaking before. However if one is going to break it will be on a ML55 with all that torque. I also do not think that a front end collision could cause a rear axle to break. Why not take the axle to a metal lab and have the break analyzed. That will give you the answer you require. It could have been caused by many things, fatigue, flaw in the casting, etc., etc.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
well I bet a metal lab and its analysis would charge as much as or more than the dealership to repair it =/ And then there is still the possibility that the insurance will not cover it. I think I am going to take care of the repair myself at my dad's garage... My ML gets to be the guineua pig... My Dad's Mechanic believes he should be able to do it. If he thinks he can than I must believe he can...

Couldnt the shock of going into a wall jar it enough to throw it off?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
well I bet a metal lab and its analysis would charge as much as or more than the dealership to repair it =/ And then there is still the possibility that the insurance will not cover it. I think I am going to take care of the repair myself at my dad's garage... My ML gets to be the guineua pig... My Dad's Mechanic believes he should be able to do it. If he thinks he can than I must believe he can...

Can't see how going ito a wall with the front end would break a rear axle. Does not make any sense. Really can't fault the insurance Co for refusing that claim. As for being a test case, its your vehicle but I would not do it.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by 55fanatic

I agree with sosh. The bottom line is that if a bodyshop can't confirm that the break is due to the accident, the insurance will not pay for it - even if the accident actually caused the axle to break. Remember that the insurance adjuster has to take a look at the damage. Also, though not impossible, it's difficult to imagine how a front end collision that didn't completely total the truck could cause a rear axle collapse. It's going to be a tough one to proove!!!