M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Issues Random Rattle/Misfire codes (LONG)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML Issues Random Rattle/Misfire codes (LONG)

Hey guys new to the forums and just thought first off I would say hello. Next, I purchased a 2000 ML 320 through an auto auction (My father is owns a used car dealership). Well, the vehicle originally wouldn't shift out of first gear, took it to the local MB dealership and they serviced the transmission, now it shifts fine. Next problem we have encoutered is that it has some rattle coming from the engine area, although I do not believe it is internal as it is intermittent and the engine is perfectly quite when you rev it. This rattle generally occurs when there is a slight load placed on the engine i.e. initially when you put the vehicle in reverse or drive from park or nuetral, or when you turn the streeing wheel all the way to the left or right and the power steering pump puts a slight load on the engine. Next and final problem is the vehicle keeps throwing a code, which in turn causes the vehicle to freak out and miss on several cylinders (Have an OBDII scanner, always the same codes). The vehicle will run fine for a while and then the check engine light will flash a couple times and then stay on and the vehicle immediately develops a horrible misfire( like it's running on 3-4 cylinders). If you turn the car off and restart it the misfire will go away, but the MIL light stays on. Then it will randomly start the crazy misfire again at another random time. This happens even if you clear the codes . The codes it is showing are: Cyl. #2 misfire, Cyl. #4 misfire, and Random Multiple Cyl. Misfire (Once it showed Cyl. #1 misfire, but generally it is only 2 and 4). I will be putting the vehicle on the lift tonight and just wanted to know if anyone has any idea as to where to look. I read about the harmonic ballancer (figure that might be the rattle), so I plan to check that out. We already changed the plugs in the vehicle, so I know they are good. Does anyone know how MB senses a misfire??? I mean does it use the knock sensor??? If that is the case it may be picking up a misfire due to the rattle I am talking about. Once again, the car does not miss at all until the MIL light comes on, only after that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as we already took it to the local Dealership and they said it was fixed (all that was done, was the codes cleared). Thanks in advance, Drew
Old 03-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
ok My 55 has the misfire problem you speak of, first thing you are going to want to do... take the coil pack on 1, 2, 4 and swap them with coil packs 3,5, and 6. This will help you determine if it is bad coil packs or bad sensor... If it is a sensor thing, I think the MAF causes it when it mis calculates the amount of air coming in.

the rattle might be caused by catalytic converters that are falling apart, this also happened to me... WELCOME TO THE CLUB OF ML OWNERS, haha, good luck
Old 03-09-2005, 10:05 AM

55 fanatic, thanks for your reply. I put the vehicle on the lift last night and realized why you guys call the dealerships, "STEALERSHIPS". They worked on th car three times for the problems I told you guys about and never fixed the vehicle. I put the car on the lift last night and determined the problem in about 15 minutes. All of the flexplate bolts that hold the torque converter to the flexplate had come loose, some to the extent that they were rubbing the bad of the oil pan/block [:0]. Broke out some locktight, torqued them to spec., popped the inspection plugs back in, and it drives like a dream. [8D] Thanks again, and I look forward to being part of the MB community, Drew
Old 03-09-2005, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
oh my god, that is dangerous!!!! wow good thing you were able to access a lift. And yes I agree, a good dealership is really hard to come by.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlBoston
oh my god, that is dangerous!!!! wow good thing you were able to access a lift. And yes I agree, a good dealership is really hard to come by.
Yeah, tell me about it. I have a lift at my father's Car dealership. It comes in handy quite often Thanks again, Drew
Old 03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

hey drew, where you from?
Old 03-09-2005, 03:17 PM

55fanatic, I live in Bristol, Tennessee. I noticed you also have a supra. I have one as well for sale if anyone is interested. It's a 1994 red on tan twin turbo auto. Drew
Old 03-10-2005, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
don't tempt him with more cars, lol!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Ali you know me too well!!! give us the specs... miles, price, any mods done...
Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Ali you know me too well!!! give us the specs... miles, price, any mods done...
Car is as posted earlier 1994 red on tan, 108K miles. All BPU parts on the car, Rod Millen 3.5in. downpipe, tanabe 3.5 in. cat back, HKS air intake, HKS FCD, Greddy white face peak/hold/warning air/fuel ratio, boost, and EGT gauges, manual boost controler, and thats about it. I also have a bunch of parts to install a big single turbo on it, but they are not installed. I am asking $22,500 obo for the car as is, the parts for the single upgrade could be purchased along with the car for a bit more. If you are interested or would like pictures my email is theturboman2002@yahoo.com Thanks, Drew
Old 03-10-2005, 04:51 PM

G500,toyota supra, 67corvette,05 pathfinder

I dont know everything about drews car, but ill tell you what i know.

Red on tan, targa, auto, 10X,000 miles, 3"Down pipe, 3" cat back exhaust, its in good shape and i think he had it priced $26,000obo but dont hold me to that. I rode it last weekend, (had to spank a fully bolt on STI by about 4 cars in one gear before he let out back from the beer store.) Its still VERY strong for the miles... I should see him later ill tell him to reply to you.

on a side not i have a 93 as well with some major mods if your wanting to fork out major bucks 18X13's, BIG single turbo, cams, rods, pistion, head work, direct port nos, 1000cc injectors, 3 fuel pumps, aem ems Turbo400 trans brake 4K stall, black, cage, etc... if you can get it to hook on (slicks) on the freeway you should have nice speeding ticket in about 2.5 - 3 second
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

well Im not really in the market but always looking if you know what I mean... my 91 has just about 80 on the body and around 45k on the engine... If its already modded where is the fun in owning a supra, lol. I actually have a 3" down pipe to put in, I have a custom made 3" cat back exhuast installed. Apexi SAFC a greddy/trust BOV installed, K&N FIPK, lexus V8 AFM and I need to install my blitz dual stage boost controller... I also have plans to do a HKS metal HG with ARP bolts, and shim my wastegate... should bring it into the 320 range optimistically with 13lbs of boost, lol. I also have a spair engine w/turbo that may begin a farely detailed rebuild in my family's garage...

What do you guys use for Supra Resources, IE forums, websites, I am part of sogi but there hasnt been any action on that site in years and supraforums.com isnt allowing people to join anymore or something...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 AM

55 fanatic, I here ya' on the modding deal with the supra. Thats where all of the single turbo parts that are still in the box come in Or if you really wanna be creative I can through all of the stock stuff back on it and sell it with the BPU parts in a box lol. That way you can go from 320 crank hp. to 430 rwhp in a weekend like I did with the car Kerr and I are both avid members of the supraforums.com, but I don't know about them not letting new people join. If you know anyone else that is interested in a nice twin turbo supra, send them my way. It will be going on Ebay in the next couple weeks. Thanks, Drew
Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 AM

yea the supra forums is full, there are so many trols on there its not funny. The other night it said there are 12,XXX people on line.

You make some good power with that mk3, whillie here in town has TDO4? i think is what he said, anyway it is putting downm 450 wheel hp on 93, Talk about making some corvette owners mad. No one expects the MK3's to run
Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

right now my supra hasnt been dyno tuned but its just as bout as fast as my ML55... pretty slow actually. I have hopes of doing some other DIY tricks. I have a lot of Extra parts such as a second intercooler. I saw in this one MK3 someone install a second oem intercooler with a custom welded bracket and piping, I am going to try something similar and also add a CO2 intercooler kit to cool down those hot gases...

I am also in the process of redoing the entire inside of the vehicle. I scrapped my rear seats to gain some weight back... then to equalize the weight loss I am adding a whole bunch of audio equipment and fiberglassing a big *** enclosure in my rear hatch area but also allowing me to use the targa top holder. or i may go real simple and just add the stereo equipment and save the weight of wood and what not and put some carpet down where there is currently metal showing. Make it reeeaaaallll track like, lol.

Hey can you guys see if you can throw your weight around, I am in desperate need to join that forum, lol Actually not desperate but I wouldnt mind joining it...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:00 PM

well you have to remember your compairing old japaneese hp to new german hp... anything 55 from the benz guys is fast. I mean what does that ML run, mid 13's or so in the 1/4?

I have a close friend that mod on the forums, ill ask him what the deal is about joining.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

yeah I know its "fast"... its prolly better that it isnt any faster then it currently is. I got the car when I was 20 and new very little about them except how to press the right pedal. Now Im 22, gone through two blown head gaskets, an engine swap and then getting to put all my parts in now... you learn to respect what a car can do and learn to baby it when you should, lol... I know its gonna happen that when I have the car completely modded engine and all, she is gonna blow up on me.

So having modded your cars after all the bolt ons are done...shimmed wastegate, BOV, turbo back exhuast, Apexi AFC, Cone filter, etc etc where would you think would be the best way to spend my money? I have a brake project I want to do, stock suspension is still on there, tires are a set of continental All seasons on stock wheels(going to keep stock wheels for sleeper look), and fuel system is still stock. I do have the lexus V8 AFM, and I am partially on my way to burning out a farely new clutch(did too many clutch drops at 4k rpm, lol) I also want to put in some racing seats and re appolster my interior as there isnt much of it left...

gimme some insight here fellas... or maybe get me in that forum, cuz sogi sux and MBworld isnt the place to speak about supras, lol

And the ML should run a high 13 to low 14.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

oh yes did I mention I am 22, just finishing up school and money is something that is tough to come by as I am trying to save for the more important things in life...
Old 03-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

There are some pics of my supra on my sound domain site and if you go to the following thread there are some pics of my valve covers that I started polishing...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...olishing+parts

You gus have any pics of your supras?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:55 AM

Here are a couple picts. of my supra
ML Issues Random Rattle/Misfire codes (LONG)-suprafront.jpg
ML Issues Random Rattle/Misfire codes (LONG)-suprainterior2.jpg

ML Issues Random Rattle/Misfire codes (LONG)-supraback2.jpg

I have tons more, but you get the idea, Drew
Old 03-14-2005, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Cool Supra...

well put together engine bay - but it appears to have a pedal missing
Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

me liiiike... I am trying to convince a friend at work to buy yours or Kerr's... where are you guys located?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:29 AM

I am located in Bristol, TN. Kerr is located in Bristol, VA. the are the same city, I live 5 miles from Kerr. Mine can be bought for much, much less than kerrs and only lacks about $4-5000 in parts to make the same power. I have most of the stuff for the big single upgrade. I am actually in the process of finishing assembly of Kerrs car as we speak. If you or your buddy at work are interested email me at theturboman2002@yahoo.com I am ready to make someone a killer deal on this car. Thanks, Drew
Old 03-15-2005, 12:46 PM

yea same place different city... kinda confusing... only real thing we have going is the race track, Bristol motor speed way, a nascar team and a top fuel drag team is located here...

I did spend a lot of money on my car.... oh well it should run ok lol...
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

for both of you do can you pm me just price areas you are thinking about asking? Also any of the mods and prices you remember of those mods... I will do my best to sell him on them, he is looking at an 01 M3 right now but with my current MB issues I have him teetering on german cars, altogether

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML Issues Random Rattle/Misfire codes (LONG)