M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Torsion Bar Re-installation after exhaust repair?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Bar Re-installation after exhaust repair?

OK, I took out my right side catalytic converter to have the crack on the seam welded. Out of warranty and much much cheaper than a dealership. It is a bit of a pain 5-6 hours start to finish removal and install. Probably because I haven't done this before and that I was on my back in the garage floor!

The only thing is I am not sure about is how much to "tighten" down the torsion bar. I just matched the distance the bolt is above the cross memeber on the left side and did the same on the right side. Is this good or should there be something more to it?

Thanks
Paul
Old 04-13-2005, 01:07 AM

You need to set your ride height...the more you tighten the bolt, the higher the vehicle sits. you should of measured it before you removed it....What you can do is go to the other side there is a small hole near the bolt. stick a screwdriver in there and mark the distance it goes in. then set the other side to the same.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks, the job is all done and I saved $1,200 by doing it myself and having someone

weld the crack in the cat!