M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Headrest stuck in post...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Headrest stuck in post...

I have had this problem in the past with my front passenger seat....I was under warranty at that time, and they replaced the headrest posts/latch on the seat.

Yesterday, the same problem happened with one of my rear seat headrests...I was trying to insert it in just after unfolding the seat...and the headrest got stuck...the latch is also stuck in the pressed position...and the headrest won't budge...

I checked and rechecked to make sure that I didn't accidently push the headrest down the wrong way...its a real problem because its the middle of the three rear headrests, and since it is stuck raised, it is blocking my view through the rear view mirror.

Before I head off to the dealership, just wanted to know, if anyone has worked around this? Are the headrest posts a known issue? Since, this is the second one on my truck that did it...
Old 05-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, it is very simple. get a small pick tool and pop the cap off, the side with the release latch is. once the cap is off you will see the spring that holds it in place. move it with the pick then pull the headrest out. reset the spring in the correct location and put the cap back on.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:05 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Thanks for the info...

I will try it out tonight in the evening...and let you know if that worked....I am going to use a small pick like thing to pop out the cap on the latch side...if that pops out, as you said, I will try to pull out the headrest & reset the spring...and put it all back together..
Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
ML God...thank you for the info...

Yep, that was quite easy...just popped the cap out....fiddled with the spring a bit and the headrest losened up..

Pulled the latch out, reset the spring and pushed it back in...made sure it moves smoothly in and out, and then re-inserted the headrest...

All is well now..
Old 05-05-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mihir_d
Yep, that was quite easy...just popped the cap out....fiddled with the spring a bit and the headrest losened up..

Pulled the latch out, reset the spring and pushed it back in...made sure it moves smoothly in and out, and then re-inserted the headrest...

All is well now..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM

W202 W163
Thanks for posting this. I had the same issue with mine and this fixed it.

I took a photo of the parts in question:

http://adventuresinsilicon.com/wiki/...sassembled.jpg
Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 AM

ML320
Repost Pic?

Hey could you repost that picture? I fixed one of two last night and followed the instructions here, don't know how I did it but it work. Working on the second one this morning and not getting results, so I want to see how the mechanism works if you can provide that illustration.

Originally Posted by Dingo_aus
Thanks for posting this. I had the same issue with mine and this fixed it.

I took a photo of the parts in question:

http://adventuresinsilicon.com/wiki/...sassembled.jpg