M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

More bits failing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2005 | 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

ml320
Wink More bits failing...

Recently replaced the center drive bearing and front shocks due to failure. Both front horns failed. Vehicle is an ML320 1999 with 57k, owned since new.

Just noticed the linkage on the rear sway arm is broken and therefore not doing anything.

Still love the car though - I think.
Old 06-02-2005 | 05:48 PM

I know how you feel. You still love the truck, but just don't know how long to put up with it. I had a new center bearing put in too at 86K on my 02 500. That caused a really nasty vibration upon takeoff. Replaced bearing again, both driveshafts, engine and tranny mounts and transfer case (some out of my pocket, some out of dealer pocket). Still had a nasty vibration. They couldn't find the reason for the tooth-breaking thud in the front end over bumps (shocks? ball joints? bushings?). And within a month of lightening my wallet considerably, the e-box fan noise started to rear its head, the door loocks went out, and the rear brakes needed pads again after 20K miles of mostly highway driving. And of course the torsion bars always made cracking noises at the worst times. And when I looked back at the last year of driving, over 25% of the 40K I drove was in a loaner car (thank goodness for loaners). So I pulled the plug and went to the Japanese competition. I almost didn't make it. The tranny wouldn't go into reverse one time on my way to trade the truck in...he knew he was being traded. Never in my life would I have thought of buying Japanese. But at least I have some sense of reliability. I don't have the love for it that I had for the ML. I miss the ML's offroad utility, as well as the feel of it on the road. I'll have another Benz someday, but they'll need to clean their act up first. No real point here, except that if you love the truck, take care of it and enjoy the heck out of it. Then when it's time to move on, move on. I've kept up with this site during the month I've been ML-less and I still love this site. Happy MLing guys.
Old 06-02-2005 | 08:05 PM

C63 / ////AMG
We have similar feelings about our '00 ML430 with 70k miles. It's a constant love-hate relationship. The power steering just went out for the 3rd time in the past 10k miles, resulting in our having it towed in!!! We'll be getting rid of the ML in August. My wife has been lucky: each time the PS went out she was close to home. I can imagine how bad it could be if she were on the freeway when this happened. It's becoming more of a safety issue than anything. Especially with the kids in the back most of the time!!
Old 06-02-2005 | 08:21 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
At 80K miles, here is my laundry list of post warranty repairs...

At 60K
1. MAF Sensor - poor mileage
At 70K
2. Fuel Sender - irratic fuel guage reading.
At 75K
3. Power Steering failed twice once during warranty, once after it
4. Door locks replaced on the rear two doors
5. One D-Pillar Cracked just by heat...
At 80K
6. New brake pads and rotors - Have been replacing brake pads every
20K miles..
Most recent:
7. Chattering sound from the A/C vents - don't even know what this is...
will be looking in to it this weekend.

It is indeed a love-hate relationship...