M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

my Brabus wheel nightmare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 320
Question my Brabus wheel nightmare

Looking for advice from anyone. I purchased a 2000 ML 320 with Brabus Monoblock IV wheels on Yokohama AVS S/T 285/50/18 tires. No stock wheels came with the car. I hit a curb and busted one tire($250). I used the spare with the existing lugs and ruined the hub and the lugs because they were too long($400). The owners manual said nothing of the shorter lugs(p.87) and they were not in the vehicle. When the tire place tried to get the lugs from the MB dealer they were not long enough. When we contacted Brabus USA the sales manager Andreas(sp?) said they did not match the car and would not send me the correct lugs(http://www.brabus-online.de/prog08e.htm is link to their website that shows the exact wheel and tire combo the sales manager says does not fit the ML). The wheel lugs are 12.5mm x 1.5, 40mm to shoulder, tapered, and 65mm overall length with 17mm head. Brabus said it was not their problem and did not care what became of the car. Is there anyone who knows what I can do outside of replacing the car or the Brabus wheels? I cannot locate the proper lug through eBay or Brabus authorized dealers from Texas to Florida. Any info will help as I am at my wits end.
Attached Thumbnails my Brabus wheel nightmare-wheel-lug2.jpg   my Brabus wheel nightmare-wheel-lug1.jpg  
Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
did you buy this car on ebay in nj?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63
I got brabus replicas on my E500 and I did not use the MB lugs. I got the universal lugs and lug nuts. Basically I had the rim guy put in double threaded bolts so that one goes in the hub and the other fits a normal lugnut. I dont know if you can get ones that fit a ML though. You should ask. I have been told that this setup is safer but dont hold me to that.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Just have them cut the longer lug nuts down to the appropriate size

Originally Posted by drandyreed
Looking for advice from anyone. I purchased a 2000 ML 320 with Brabus Monoblock IV wheels on Yokohama AVS S/T 285/50/18 tires. No stock wheels came with the car. I hit a curb and busted one tire($250). I used the spare with the existing lugs and ruined the hub and the lugs because they were too long($400). The owners manual said nothing of the shorter lugs(p.87) and they were not in the vehicle. When the tire place tried to get the lugs from the MB dealer they were not long enough. When we contacted Brabus USA the sales manager Andreas(sp?) said they did not match the car and would not send me the correct lugs(http://www.brabus-online.de/prog08e.htm is link to their website that shows the exact wheel and tire combo the sales manager says does not fit the ML). The wheel lugs are 12.5mm x 1.5, 40mm to shoulder, tapered, and 65mm overall length with 17mm head. Brabus said it was not their problem and did not care what became of the car. Is there anyone who knows what I can do outside of replacing the car or the Brabus wheels? I cannot locate the proper lug through eBay or Brabus authorized dealers from Texas to Florida. Any info will help as I am at my wits end.
I had this same problem once and this is what the wheel shop did and it worked fine..
Old 05-30-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by drandyreed
Contact the tire rack... www.tirerack.com they might be able to help with the correct size lugs for your Brabus wheels
Old 05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Is it possible that although you have a wheel that LOOKS similar, that it is the incorrect application?

My first clue to that is you mention the proper lug for the wheel is an M12x1.50 ... this lug will NOT fit the M-class in any way. The M-class uses an M14 lug. You also mention that the lugs are tapered, and Brabus wheels (except the Monoblock II, I believe) should not use tapered lugs ("cone seat").

Wheels are generally sized to the lug as well. Wheels made for M14 lugs are usually not recommended for use with M12 lugs, and vice versa. One exception to this is "cone seat" wheels, which can have a large enough hole for 14mm lugs but enough seat area when using a large-head M12 lug. But this is not the case for wheels from AMG, Brabus, Carlsson, etc. as they use "ball seats" which are radiused and the radius differs on the different size lugs.

-s-
Old 05-31-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Arrow prestigewheel.com

has an excellent assortment of lug bolts, sounds like you know your size so you can just browse their site until you find it.

One of those MBZ quirks that they use bolts instead of studs/nuts. That would make life so much easier...

Good luck!