M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ml320 00' decides to shut down on its own

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320 00' decides to shut down on its own

hi, i have an ml 320 year 2000, and this problem started a month ago. At first i was driving and the car just shut down, out of no where, on level road too. i didnt think it was an issue, the check engine light didnt go on and i was a lil low on gas, but the car started after 5 min, this same problem happened 2 weeks later, and again recently bu tnow ill start the car, itll work for about 20 minutes, then die, and wont work again for anohter hour. one mechanic said it was the cham shaft sensor, the other said it was the relay for the starter, or a combo of the two. has anynoe else had this problem and if so can you please tell me what to do. the damn thing just stops whenever it wants to.

-shan
Old 06-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Sounds to me like you have a bad Crankshaft postion sensor
Old 06-08-2005, 11:45 PM

thats exactly what my mechanic thought, so we changed the cham shaft sensor as well as the starter relay sensor because it looked like an electrical problem. but still to no avail. the car wont even start now from the ignition, i have to jump the relay switch with a screw driver to turn the car on. however i was told that this could also be a problem with a malfunctioning key. any thoughts?

-thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 01:36 AM

did he change the Cam..or Crankshaft sensor.....I have never see a faulty Cam Sensor....The Crankshaft sensors fail all the time. If it is a bad key then the Car will startthen die right away....as far as your car not turning on at the ignition...not to sure..nothing common
Old 06-10-2005, 03:40 AM

he changed the cam shaft position sensor on the head and then the starter relay
Old 06-29-2005, 01:17 AM

well guys, im having the same problem, a month later, and this really really sucks, esp since its summer time and this car is inoperational. my mechanic told me to replace the key and i did and that only took two days because the key was being made in texas, however this did not solve the problem, the car still wont start. alright so now were at a huge problem, my current mechanic cant seem to fix the problem, so we tow it to another guy, he says that he thinks its the driver authorization control module, this is like the brain of the car or something. he came to this conclusion becaus he found that there was an aftermarket alarm system installed under the car and this might have caused some problem with the communication between the computer. now i took my car to walters mercedes just before this problem started and they ran a diagnosis, im pretty sure that they did something wrong and that is why my alarm system messed the car up because they diagnosed it all wrong. we told them to check the whole car over and they told me i needed a new tranny but they didnt say anything about the engine being at any problem, well i figured this out only a couple days later. anyways were waiting on the part now, 2 whole weeks, at least because it needs to be programmed in germany and everyday i was being told this part was coming in when in fact it was still on some barge on its way to germany or whatever the circumstance. my new mechanic ordered the part from the house of imports in brea california. well the manager keth jacobs understood the situation and even though the vehicle wasnt being fixed there he still offered us a 3 day rental. so please go to the house if u wanna buy a car, they have great deals too, all my uncles and cousins and friends go there in fact. now ur problably wondering why mbusa didnt do anything, and thats becase they told me that they could only talk to the dealer, and that dealer was in charge of ordering the part and getting it on time, even though mercedes is the one that is getting the part for me. but all this drama aside does anyone feel that becaue my car wont start that it wont even crank now there might be an issue with this control module, or do u guys feel its something else that needs to be changed

-thanks

shan
Old 06-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by zeeyo987
he changed the cam shaft position sensor on the head and then the starter relay
Wy do you keep coming back here with the same questions. Did you follow the advice that ML God gave you about the CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR??????????? Not Cam Sensor which are two different animals!!! Try changing the part we suggest ...... Then again that after market alarm could have totally screwed up your truck.

Last edited by 00ML430 Bulldog; 06-29-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 00ML430 Bulldog
Wy do you keep coming back here with the same questions. Did you follow the advice that ML God gave you about the CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR??????????? Not Cam Sensor which are two different animals!!! Try changing the part we suggest ...... Then again that after market alarm could have totally screwed up your truck.
The DAS module would have nothing to do with your truck shutting down on it's own. All that module is responsible for is start authorization. It makes sure the right key and transponder are being used. If that was bad you would be complaining the truck would start then die within a sec. Replace the Crank sensor...not the cam sensor. if that has been done look at the fuel pump and relay. After the process of elimation has been done then you can condemn a bad ME Control unit
Old 06-29-2005, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by ML God
The DAS module would have nothing to do with your truck shutting down on it's own. All that module is responsible for is start authorization. It makes sure the right key and transponder are being used. If that was bad you would be complaining the truck would start then die within a sec. Replace the Crank sensor...not the cam sensor. if that has been done look at the fuel pump and relay. After the process of elimation has been done then you can condemn a bad ME Control unit
If this was occuring on a land rover discovery, id immediately say it is the fuel pump. It wouldnt hurt to check if that is working.. The pump on my LR lasted about 7 years..
Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can guarantee you it is the FUEL PUMP

had the same issues on my ML. Was towed into dealer 3 times, before they got it fixed. Also, if you search the internet, it is a VERY COMMON problem with the earlier ML's.

Also, they will need to replace all of the fuel lines while they are down under the vehicle, as those are more isssues that can cause this.

FUEL PUMP... guaranteed!!!!!!

1st time, ML would not start at a 7-11... started after 5 minutes, drove to dealer, told me fuel cap was not on tight enough.

2nd time, ML died while driving... towed to dealer and did something with the computer and reminded me to click the fuel cap 3 times.

3rd time, ML died while towing, while moving a friend to San Francisco... towed to dealer, crank sensor replaced.

4th time, ML died while driving down the road, but started again, made appt to go to dealer 1 week out. (check engine light came on for this!)

5th time, ML died on side of freeway towing a 19 foot boat, never started back up, towed to dealer and fuel lines and pump replaced. Ran fine after that.

ML had approximatly 70k on it when these issues began.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by Justinius7
I can guarantee you it is the FUEL PUMP

had the same issues on my ML. Was towed into dealer 3 times, before they got it fixed. Also, if you search the internet, it is a VERY COMMON problem with the earlier ML's.

Also, they will need to replace all of the fuel lines while they are down under the vehicle, as those are more isssues that can cause this.

FUEL PUMP... guaranteed!!!!!!

1st time, ML would not start at a 7-11... started after 5 minutes, drove to dealer, told me fuel cap was not on tight enough.

2nd time, ML died while driving... towed to dealer and did something with the computer and reminded me to click the fuel cap 3 times.

3rd time, ML died while towing, while moving a friend to San Francisco... towed to dealer, crank sensor replaced.

4th time, ML died while driving down the road, but started again, made appt to go to dealer 1 week out. (check engine light came on for this!)

5th time, ML died on side of freeway towing a 19 foot boat, never started back up, towed to dealer and fuel lines and pump replaced. Ran fine after that.

ML had approximatly 70k on it when these issues began.
Fuel pump could be a possibility too. I have been there and done the fuel pump failure thing too. Dealer changed the fuel pump under warranty and charged me for installation of a new fuel filter...
Old 06-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 00ML430 Bulldog
Fuel pump could be a possibility too. I have been there and done the fuel pump failure thing too. Dealer changed the fuel pump under warranty and charged me for installation of a new fuel filter...
Just to let you know the early MLs 98,99 were melting the fuel pump connector in the fuse box. And Justinius7 how can you guarantee it is the fuel pump?? I see a LOT more crankshaft sensor failers than fuel pump failers by double
Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ML God
Just to let you know the early MLs 98,99 were melting the fuel pump connector in the fuse box. And Justinius7 how can you guarantee it is the fuel pump?? I see a LOT more crankshaft sensor failers than fuel pump failers by double

well i offer a money back guarantee or a 90 day warantee, but I will have to null and void the guarantee with out seeing the vehicle first... Sorry....
Old 06-30-2005, 02:13 AM

yea we thought it was something having to do with the fuel pump at first too, but then my mechanic inspected it and told me that it was in okay condition
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM

1999 ML320
Thanks MLGod and Bulldog!.
I got my first ML320 1999 3 mos. ago and its died twice while driving...I bought the car for safety reasons and I was not feeling so safe....I did my research and figured as you both have stated it is the crank shaft sensor...The guys at the shop agreed and we replaced it.
I hope thats the issue...I appreciate your information as I will know what to look for next if the car acts up again in this same way.... I have practicing turning the key off while driving and putting it in neutral and he starts right up again... just in case I have an episode again...Silly Im sure but hey..its a scary thing to just die for no reason...
I don't think its a fuel pump issue by what you all have said...thanks for your posts...
Yes I am a girl...I write like one huh? lol will be checking your replies if you have any further advice...

del Vecchio
Old 05-14-2012, 05:09 PM

ml
try disconecting the connections on the rear sam and leave for it for an hour i had a problem where it would not shut down, lights,on,wiper not working etc etc all on with the key out but if you pulled the rear sam it shut off left it discounected over night and it is fine now fingers crossed one week now