M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Passenger seat is making noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2002 | 01:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Unhappy Passenger seat is making noise

We've had some annoying sounds coming from the passenger seat of our 3 months old ML. The dealer changed the back cushion but that has done nothing to cure the problem, in fact, it is getting worse.

The sound will occur each time pressure/weight si applied or removed from the bolsters or back cushion (applies to turns, accelerations and decelerations). It sounds more like a click/clack sound than like a squeak!

If anyone has experienced this problem and has had it fixed, I would appreciate if you could pass the description of the fix.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2002 | 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Have heard of this a couple of times and it seems that the only solution is to change the entire seat
Old 06-26-2002 | 05:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
I had to fix it myself

Was your dealer able to reproduce the sound when you complained? Mine would only occur at certain temperatures, it seemed. So finally, I took the whole darned seat apart and put felt between every / any surfaces that touched!!!!

I THINK that the source was the area of the seat back (back rest) where the leather is tightend to the lower section of the metal assembly. The leather material is attached to a plastic clip that is "wedged" onto the metal. The plastic-on-metal is where the sound comes from when there are small shifts or movements in that area. (Again... I THINK!!!)

If you are relatively handy (good with tools) take the cover off the back rest and try to fix it yourself.

Hope it helps!

DRB
Old 06-26-2002 | 06:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Thank you for the replies!

Bottedi: Same problem here, the noise only occurs at certain temperatures, when I leave the garage in the morning, it is quiet, as the outside temprature affects the inside temp, the seat starts to make noise, and then, its constantly!

Where could I find the schematics of the seat. I am not sure where to start to remove the cover off the back rest.

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2002 | 08:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
schematics

sorry, but I don't really have a schematics - I just sort of figurerd it out on my own......

if you feel comfortable trying your luck, start with the screws at the bottom part of the back-rest pastic cover. Once the screws are off, you pull down on the cover and it should come off...

Maybe the dealership will help you out better though...

Bottedi
Old 07-03-2002 | 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

To Bottedi,

Thanks for the tip.