M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

My ML500 won't move a bit. PLEASE HELP

Old 06-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 gone, ML 320 gone, C230 kompressor, & Hummer H2
My ML500 won't move a bit. PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone!! I need help. I've got a ML500 2002 and just yesterday when I was just leaving a stop sign, my engine all of a sudden just stopped. It seemed when I pressed on the gas pedel, my engine would stop and everything would just shut down. First my engine light would come on, then my coolent light, then my SRS light, and so on. It starts up just fine, but as soon as you go into gear and try to drive, everything shuts down. Anyone out htere have any ideas on whats wrong? I just had it towed to MB and I need to be prepared on the possible problems. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Almost a Member!

it turns out to be an alternator... 978.00 dollars later
Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 PM

you didnt notice the little battery light comming on?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
How many miles on vehicle?
Has fuel filter and/or fuel pump ever been changed?
Has crankshaft position sensor ever been changed?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Almost a Member!

No batterry light ever came on. It all shut down at a snap of a finger. Since my alternator went bad, it drained the life of my battery as well causing me to replace that as well. So, overall the bill came to 1225.50!!! That's with the towing from my house to the MB dealer which is 10 miles away. What exactly does CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED mean when you buy a used vehicle, when I've only had this ML500 for a month?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Do you people think I have a chance to give this bill to the original MB dealer where I bought this from for them to pick up the bill due to "its a certified pre-owned" knowing that it's not supposed to have any of these problems so quick? Did I get scamed??????
Old 06-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Almost a Member!

500SEC, ML430, SLK230, S600
Originally Posted by twenty2
Do you people think I have a chance to give this bill to the original MB dealer where I bought this from for them to pick up the bill due to "its a certified pre-owned" knowing that it's not supposed to have any of these problems so quick? Did I get scamed??????
Did they offer a Starmark warranty?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Certified Pre Owned means The truck has a Star Mark warranty at the MB dealer..... If you had taken it to the dealer they would have fixed Your ML at no charge to you...... I think I read it somewhere That MB will reemburse for warranty qualified repair. Not sure though.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:42 PM

If you took it to an indepent repair shop your screwed...more than likly the starmark warrenty would hae covered an alternator replacement
Old 06-20-2005, 10:19 PM

03 E500
Hello everyone!! I need help. I've got a ML500 2002 and just yesterday when I was just leaving a stop sign, my engine all of a sudden just stopped. It seemed when I pressed on the gas pedel, my engine would stop and everything would just shut down. First my engine light would come on, then my coolent light, then my SRS light, and so on. It starts up just fine, but as soon as you go into gear and try to drive, everything shuts down. Anyone out htere have any ideas on whats wrong? I just had it towed to MB and I need to be prepared on the possible problems. Thanks for any help.
Glad you got the problem solved.
Regarding the certifed preowned, if you bought the car from a dealership they should come with at least a 1 year starmark warranty which will cover from bumper to bumper. I feel starmark is better than factory warranty simply they provide you with a set amount of years coverage up to 100k miles.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

let me get this straight. When I bought the vehicle with no extended warranty, starmark is a warranty for 1 year if the vehicle is certified pre-owned? From bumper to bumper? And, why is it they are giving me a hard time about this if Starmark covers this???? They never offered me a starmark warranty. Is this something in very small letters somewhere??? Again.. thank you everyone for your input!!! This is my first MB and so far seems like a mess
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM

ML
twenty2, you sound confused. Let's start all over

let me get this straight. When I bought the vehicle with no extended warranty, starmark is a warranty for 1 year if the vehicle is certified pre-owned? From bumper to bumper? And, why is it they are giving me a hard time about this if Starmark covers this???? They never offered me a starmark warranty. Is this something in very small letters somewhere??? Again.. thank you everyone for your input!!! This is my first MB and so far seems like a mess
1) You purchased from a MB dealer, right?
2) Did they tell you it was Starmarked?
3) Did you get any paperwork stating that it was starmarked?
4) You did get some kind of paperwork regarding the warranty coverage on the vehicle, didn't you?
5) Read that warranty paperwork to determine what's covered.
6) You did the repair work at a MB dealer, right?
7) Does your warranty cover that?
8) In general (and I believe this is the law), used car warranty is 30days or 3K miles, minimum. You can discuss this nicely with your dealer and have them think over it.

Someone is screwing you bad. They know they should fix this problem at no cost to you but they just don't want to because the have sensed that you don't have a clue as to what's going on. Here's what you do - be strong and demand to talk to whoever heads the service department. Explain to them that you've had the vehicle just a month and that the alternator is not supposed to die on a MB vehicle at this age. Also point out to them that Nissans and Hondas and Lexus heve alternators that last a lot longer. The point here is that the alternator problem should have been known via inspection before putting the vehicle for sale and that you will not be a trial pig for their whatever!!! They'll balk. This whole thing is a game. Play it strong. I just replaced the alternator on my 1989 Nissan with 200K miles. Stress to them that it should be darn better for a MB, regardless of the model year. If they refuse to reimburse you, ask for the general manager. I bet you, you'll not have to go that far.

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-21-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:38 PM

03 E500
Yes that's pretty much it. When you buy a MB with a starmark it means automatic 1 year warranty. If your car had any old factory warranty left it will be added to your starmark. In order to qualify for Starmark you must purchase the car from an authorized MB dealer.
Starmark covers everything EXCEPT for air bags.

It could be possible you didn't buy it with starmark, then it won't be covered.

Last edited by Dvinn; 06-21-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
just FYI, Starmark no longer exists. It is just MB CPO now.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Almost a Member!

OKAY... hold on to your seats!!! I was very firm yesterday on the dealer to pick up the tab on this. No starmark anymore just like Kar don said. They say that they do a certification(FULL) before they place the used car on their lots. They said nothing ever came up with the alternator being on its way out. I argued that alternators don't go bad after 60000 miles.... and their response was "sorry". Other MB dealers had stated after researching, that they would, with no questions cover the repair since it's only a 1 1/2 months old. This dealer says "their GOOD faith" on the car is the certification that they do when they placed it on the market. NOW.... I talked to the GM of the dealer very nicely... 'cause I could have caused a BIG MAYHEM in there, but decided to play it cool. Nothing could I say that would change this guys mind. I currently called MB of N.A. and are investigating this issue and should get back to me tomorrow about the decision. Meanwhile, the MB dealer where the repair was done did not charge me a cent yet, until they find the answer out from MB of N.A. I thought that was cool. Well, I'll have to let you guys know what happens. Oh, by the way... I said that they just lost my business for ever taking my truck there for any repair work.... and their answer was... "you're just one person." sorry can't do anything for you.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM

ML
OKAY... hold on to your seats!!! I was very firm yesterday on the dealer to pick up the tab on this. No starmark anymore just like Kar don said. They say that they do a certification(FULL) before they place the used car on their lots. They said nothing ever came up with the alternator being on its way out. I argued that alternators don't go bad after 60000 miles.... and their response was "sorry". Other MB dealers had stated after researching, that they would, with no questions cover the repair since it's only a 1 1/2 months old. This dealer says "their GOOD faith" on the car is the certification that they do when they placed it on the market. NOW.... I talked to the GM of the dealer very nicely... 'cause I could have caused a BIG MAYHEM in there, but decided to play it cool. Nothing could I say that would change this guys mind. I currently called MB of N.A. and are investigating this issue and should get back to me tomorrow about the decision. Meanwhile, the MB dealer where the repair was done did not charge me a cent yet, until they find the answer out from MB of N.A. I thought that was cool. Well, I'll have to let you guys know what happens. Oh, by the way... I said that they just lost my business for ever taking my truck there for any repair work.... and their answer was... "you're just one person." sorry can't do anything for you.

Keep the pressure on them. I can understand their point but from a customer service point of vue, they're wrong. And yes you're just one customer until the bad news spreads around - and that has a way to happen quickly over the internet - then they'll feel the pinch. Try to remind them this ever so gently.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Final round just ended. I had talked to MB of N.A. (district manager) for that certain region where I purchased the truck and found out that he stands behind the dealers decision!! I then went back to the MB dealer that fixed the truck and told them that story on what had happened, and they still couldn't beleive it. I then was told to talk to the GM of this dealer, and told him the entire story. He then said " I'm going to pick up half of the alternator price and half of the towing and we'll call it a day." I said that since I didn't buy the truck from them originally, I did appreciate what he did. I didn't expect that at all. He saved me 400.00!! Anyways, thank you everyone for giving me the advice to try to win this argument. By the way, if anyone lives in the midwest and looking for a MB, I warn you...... DO NOT GOTO Mercedes Benz of Westmont!! Located in Illinois. Crooks and they don't care too much about their customers.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:46 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
By the way, if anyone lives in the midwest and looking for a MB, I warn you...... DO NOT GOTO Mercedes Benz of Westmont!! Located in Illinois. Crooks and they don't care too much about their customers.
I've been to MB in Westmont two times. First time I was happy with the service. Second time I went in for a 4 wheel alignment (I replaced the rear control arms, lower ball joints and tie rods). During the alignment, they forgot to tighten the bolts for the control arms. I drove around few days, I could tell something was wrong. Lifted on the jack, the rear drivers side wheel was just wobbling all over. Took it back; they said "sorry, technician forgot to tighten the bolts". I didn't know what to say.... I just walked out.

MB dealer in Naperville isn't that much better either, unfortunately.

I stopped going to MB dealers unless I HAVE TO.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Well, from what I have been told recently. Naperville and Westmont of MB are both Auto nation stores. I will never go back to Westmont again.