M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

HELP ML500 Brakes OF COURSE~!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ML500 Brakes OF COURSE~!

I have a 2003 ML500 with 25k on it. I am not a speedy driver or heavy braker. I took the car in because the brakes were squeling and they said I need entirely New Rotors and Brake Pads (all 4 for both). MY Father in Law has had over 30 MB all different models and never encountered this. I called a Brake shop and they said their was no way a car would need new rotars at 25k, I saw on here a lot of problems with brakes, but seemed most people just needed new pads. Please advise.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I just replaced all for pads and rotors on my 00 320

Rotors were replaced for the first time ever at 80K/almost 5 years miles..

Pads, yes, this is my fourth set...I don't seem to be getting any more than 20K miles out of the pads...maybe because you ran your pads for 25K, you ruined some of the rotors...have you been driving with the brake pad wear light on for a while?

Its a simple job, and can be pretty inexpensive if done by yourself....just DIY. There are plenty of instructions on the internet on how to do the brake job on the ML..
Old 06-23-2005, 02:58 PM

on the ML500 and 430, they have a fixed brake caliper setup. If he is complaining about a squeek the only repair is to replaced the pads and rotors together as a set. that dosent mean the rotors are bellow min spec. all it means is the rotors is more than likly grooved out. Since you cant resurface MB rotors the only fix is to replace them. And yes they are expensive. The 320 uses a floating caliper and is less likly to cause this. MB uses a very soft brake pads and rotor that do not last long but is EXCELLENT in stoping...kinda a trade off. What ever you do dont put aftermarket pads and rotors on your vehicle. Not only will they not stop as good. they will be noisy, and please dont take the advise of some repair garage without the factory knowledge of a dealership. More than likly they wont know what the hell they are talking about
Old 06-23-2005, 03:03 PM

I actually do not show the light on, but thanks for the advice.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I have 30000 miles on my 02 ML500. Pads and rotors were changed last at 4800 miles. Prior to that they had been changed 5 times due to squeal. I still have a little squeal when the brakes are cold but I can live with that. At my recent State inspection I still have 30 percent left on the pads. I would not let that shop touch the brakes due to what they told you. Use only MB parts. Take ML Gods advice. He is absolutly correct.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:19 PM

ML500
i have 03 ML500 with 40k, have changed brakes 3 times, only once i didnt change rotors,because it doesnt seem like it makes a difference on the car, only $$ spent on lost cause ,i have tried non slotted and drilled, currently use drilled, and still have brake squeel with every set up,,even soaked the pads over night with the liquid graphite you can buy at the dealership,the liquid helps a lil, but it will still squeek here and there, but not as bad as before,
Old 06-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by ML God
on the ML500 and 430, they have a fixed brake caliper setup. If he is complaining about a squeek the only repair is to replaced the pads and rotors together as a set. that dosent mean the rotors are bellow min spec. all it means is the rotors is more than likly grooved out. Since you cant resurface MB rotors the only fix is to replace them. And yes they are expensive. The 320 uses a floating caliper and is less likly to cause this. MB uses a very soft brake pads and rotor that do not last long but is EXCELLENT in stoping...kinda a trade off. What ever you do dont put aftermarket pads and rotors on your vehicle. Not only will they not stop as good. they will be noisy, and please dont take the advise of some repair garage without the factory knowledge of a dealership. More than likly they wont know what the hell they are talking about
I have changed my brakes on my own at my garage using and not using mercedes factory equipment. Stopping power for the first few hundred miles was a hair not as good(would make the trade off for the $600 less I would of spent at cost on parts). after about 1000miles went on them and bedding them a couple times I find no difference in the stopping ability. I used Brembo rotors and Pagid pads(although both of these might be the oem supplier from what I hear)

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I just put Brembo rotors & Mintex/Textar pads...and actually am quite happy with them

I just did a DIY with Brembo rotors - Mintex pads for the front - Textar pads for the rear...

In fact my stopping power seems to have improved by about 10% (could be though, because I had been driving on worn pads/rotors for a while)

No squeaks, no issues whatsoever....am extremely happy with the DIY results...

Total cost around $450 + a stupid $50 dollar ticket from the city for having spotted my vehicle jacked up partly encroching the side-walk in front of my house...my bad...I should have done it in my garage and not outside...ah well!
Attached Thumbnails HELP ML500 Brakes OF COURSE~!-brake.jpg  
Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 AM

wife's car2014 ml350
changing my pads and rotors tomorrow for the first time, 99ml430 w/ 45k miles, 370 dollars for the whole kit and kaboodle
Old 06-24-2005, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
I have changed my brakes on my own at my garage using and not using mercedes factory equipment. Stopping power for the first few hundred miles was a hair not as good(would make the trade off for the $600 less I would of spent at cost on parts). after about 1000miles went on them and bedding them a couple times I find no difference in the stopping ability. I used Brembo rotors and Pagid pads(although both of these might be the oem supplier from what I hear)
Good for you, I am only stating from 10yrs of MB experence. I have seen crappy aftermarket Pepboy specials that wernt worth a dam. Since you used Brembo I would concider that OEM becasue that is the supplier of our brakes for the 430 and 500. Brakes are really easy as a DIY project. But can be very dangerous if you do one thing wrong or leave 1 thing loose Just be sure to triple check everything
Old 06-28-2005, 05:17 PM

anyone have a DIY website or instructions for changing rotors/pads. I might try this in the future when I need replacement.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Nothing wrong with aftermarket pads and rotors.

Originally Posted by mbfan02
anyone have a DIY website or instructions for changing rotors/pads. I might try this in the future when I need replacement.
It just depends on what you buy. Here's the DIY link: Here's the DIY link . Here are two other links that will interest you regarding your ML500 brake questions:
About all the ML500 brake questions, click here
For more infor about how confused (and misinformed) we all are about these brakes, click here .
Though I have never done the brake job on a ML, it seems pretty straightforward. Good luck and have fun DIYing.

Oh, before I forget, the rear brakes are a bit different. Here's the link for that.. Again, have fun and don't forget to grease those pins and dump used brake cleaner appropriately.

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-28-2005 at 10:25 PM.