M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Wheres the VCS [voice recognition] module ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Wheres the VCS [voice recognition] module ?

Anyone know where the vcs/linguatronic module is located on the MY2002 ML ?

Possibly under the front right hand seat, but Id like some confirmation !

Cheers
R
Old 07-05-2002, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
Unfortunately, I do not believe the ML has the Linguatronic available for it, as some other MB models do. It might have to do with it being compatible with the Comand system, which most MB models have, as opposed to the MCS, which is the nav/audio/cell/etc. unit for the ML.

Most of the new and best technology that the other models have take time to diffuse into the ML - I guess MB considers it a lower-end car for some reason.

FYI, the space under the passenger seat is where the optional lockbox goes.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Wheres the VCS [voice recognition] module ?

Originally posted by Richard
Anyone know where the vcs/linguatronic module is located on the MY2002 ML ?

Possibly under the front right hand seat, but Id like some confirmation !

Cheers
R
Richard, here in the US, the ML is not available with Voice Recognition.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:14 AM
Almost a Member!

To mbakshi

Richard lives in the UK. The front right hand set is the driver's seat. The optional lockbox goes in the front left hand seat on UK MLs.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi

I thought the US ML , MY2002, was available with VCS. European ones are not, although some of the bits are in the parts catalog. The wiring for the switch is already there, and my dealer has installed the switch and the arm for me. Also, the dealers WIS system shows circuit diagrams only for the US market !!

As to the lock box, its under the right hand seat on rhd cars, I dont know where it is on left hand drive cars, but I suspect its the same place as the bose stuff is under the left hand seat

Looks like MB has started to consider VCS , and forgotten they dont put COMAND on the US models, or maybee are considering switching to COMAND only at some point. For those who dont know, European cars only come with COMAND, we dont get MCS

Cheers
Richard
Old 07-07-2002, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Update

Richard, sorry I did not notice your location. I just happened to watch the '02 MB video for the ML (US Version) - the tape that comes with the car. And it talked about the VCS Linguatronic, which it says is dealer-installed in the US. I was surprised - so I guess many of us in the US are somehow not aware of this option being available here.

But I still wouldn't know where the unit is located - sorry.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We dont get that video with our cars - But here in the UK we do get a "MB off road driving day" where MB supply a whole set of MLs, a nice instructor and a small forest for the day - which is great because you learn about the car in exact same car as you have

Cheers
R
Old 07-14-2002, 07:33 PM

linguatronic

Richard

No linguatronic in the ML I have been told.

Megacomm have just fitted TV with AV input cables, and a Nokia phone kit to 2002 ML, but I couldn't have linguatronic, or SMS to the Nokia 6210 via Comand.

By the way, they do have their own looms and break out cables.

Steve

Last edited by Londonboy; 07-15-2002 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Londonboy, they are wrong...

The COMAND needs recoding to support SMS - my wife's 2002 ML500 has SMS editing. If you go into AUX input more (SYS, then select aux in), hold down MUTE, 1, 3 all together for 10 seconds you get diagnostic menu, select "configuration", and give me a list of whats ticked and whats not ticked, and what the CFG numbers are, i'll let you know what the dealer needs to turn on/off

I have had the VCS switch and lever installed on that ML500, I have the D2B wiring loom next to me, and the VCS module.
- all parts are listed in the MB electronic parts catalog, although the switches arent pictured they are on the listing that goes with the picture of the cruise control lever and the combi-switch thing
- Ive opted to replace the whole fibre loom, because Im a perfectionist - really I should have just modified the existing loom under the seat and added a couple of connectors.

All I need to do is to make up some more wiring for the loom set under the drivers seat (which is where the phone stuff is, and where the factory-installed cable from the VCS switch goes to)
- What ive done is to order a new loom for under there (the nokia phone loom) and i'm going to modify the new one (rather that the one supplied with the car)

I'll let you know when its done, this time i'll remember to take photos.

R

BTW, where did they put the TV controller ??
Old 07-15-2002, 05:01 AM

TV Controller

Hi Richard

When you say TV controller I assume you mean the Bosch TV Multi-Media unit.

They fitted it in under the glove compartment near the 12v outlet. I have not taken the foot well trim panel off to look at it, but I will if you want me too..

Clarion Diversity antennas have been fitted to the rear window, and I had the rear and small D windows tinted prior to installation, so you can’t see the antennas from the outside.. It’s a really nice job.

I have two AV input cables as well, although I have not decided what to do with them both. One I will use to reply video footage from a camera whilst on location, the other I may feed a DVD player, or reversing camera on my trailer. It would be great if the reversing camera could kick in as soon as I selected reverse,.. maybe not.. its taken long enough to get TV/Text and GSM to my ML.

If I can get the SMS and VOX working with your help that would be a bonus, do you know anything about the Notebook facility, which is also blanked out with the SMS on the same menu. Do you think that could possibly work with the Nokia 6210, and is there a hidden menu option to keep the TV picture up when moving.. naught I know

I am thinking of getting a Necvox 16:9 roof screen, but I am not sure if it can be fitted because I have a sunroof in my ML, and perhaps its a bit over the top.

I could get really silly, I have just found a company that can supply a self seeking mini Sat dish and receiver for Sky reception. It folds away when not in use.. fully motorised and self seeking of course

Maybe not...

RIGHT CONFIG MENU READS
Firstly, no boxes are checked and these options are displayed...!!

TV TUNER
TELEPHONE (expand)
Telematic
Telematic via D2B
Analogous Bose
Combi self - aligned

Bottom line reads:
Cfg 20 OD 04 Radimpuls:30

Over to you Richard

Steve

Last edited by Londonboy; 07-15-2002 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:16 AM

Richard - Config Options

Richard

I have checked my config menu, and nothing is checked..!!

This is what is on the list:

TV Tuner
Telephone (expand)
Telematic
Telematic Via DB2
Analgous Bose
Combi self - aligned

and the bottom line reads:
Cfg 20 OD 04 Radimpuls:30

Over to you

Steve
Old 07-15-2002, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi

The "Telephone (expanded)" should be ticked

Take it to the MB dealer and, using their Star Diagnosis, in
the ""Control Units" -> "Info & Comm. systems" -> "D2B Comand/Audio" -> "control unit adaptations" -> "read coding and change" -> "configurations of components"

Have them turn on
Telephone with enlarged functionality
TV Tuner
SMS transmissions permitted
Dynamic Nav by means of CTEL
Telematics data over D2B

(The last 2 allow TCS, we dont have TCS suppliers in the UK (yet) but they do in Germany, the items should be turned on if you have the 6210 kit)
(This will also enable the notepad feature)

They can also turn off all the TV interlocks in the "Tv Paramaters" menu - so you can watch while driving (although, I have heard that the latest version of Star diagnosis no longer allows you to turn off all the interlocks) - theres no hidden screen to do this - so you may have to find a dealer with an old star diagnosis system (or, if you are into Linux and understand binary etc, download my software from freediag.sourceforge.net, and ask me for my document on how to do this)

You should also have them run the "retrofitting of D2B components" "test" that in the "D2B Comand/Audio" menu to ensure that the system knows whats on the D2B bus and where correctly (D2B is the fibre optic ring)

BTW, MB have *just* started fitting Nokia 6310i's in the new cars (from 1st July) - it needs a new phone controller, which arent yet available in UK. Ive got one on order, i'll let everyone know if it works by just switching the controller - which I expect it to do.