M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

DIY help needed ASAP please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:57 PM
JAD
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY help needed ASAP please!

Well, the ML is up on jacks stands and I'm stuck! Tried to change the rear pads and rotors on my '99 ML430 today and could not get the rotors off. I did the fronts a couple months ago with no problems but today...

I was able to remove the calipers with no problem. Then I removed the allen bolt holding the rotor on. Took the hammer and banged the back side of the rotor (just like I did on the fronts), allthough you have to be careful as there is some sort of shield/splash guard on the rear rotor that is not present on the fronts if memory serves. The rotor got nice and loose but wouldn't come off... For example, when trying to pull the rear drivers side rotor off, the left side of the rotor just wants to pull off where the right side wants to pull off then is pulled back to the hub by something feeling spring like. I have read about the parking shoes causing probs. So, I look through one of the lug holes and see something that looks like a tooth/cog on a wheel. I try to push it left and right and it does not budge a bit. So, now I'm stuck....WTH?!

The truck is up on jack stands and I have no idea how to get the bloody rotors off and I need the car for work ect tomorrow! Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated at this point as I'm going freaking NUTS! Thanks guys.

JD
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
Sounds like the parking brake is keeping it from being removed. The star wheel must turn freely. If its not moving at all....I know you did this, but double check that the parking brake is not on..duh...and then apply liberal amounts of WD40, PBlaster, Sillikroll, whatever to the star wheel. You've got to get that released in order to remove the rotor...good luck.....

BTW....the star wheel should rotate. You insert a screw driver and catch the cog on the wheel and push up or down to rotate..not sideways....check it out with a good flashlight and it should be apparent.