M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

MBUSA vs. MBCANADA & Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down MBUSA vs. MBCANADA & Harmonic Balancer

I have had a miserable experience dealing with both MBUSA & MBCANADA. Apparently, my vehicle was assembled in Canada and nobody wants to handle any customer service issues with me. Further, the phone representatives, with a few exceptions, were among the rudest and most condescending of any company I've ever dealt with.

My problem stems from my harmonic balancer failure. I realize that my part number is excluded, but I simply wanted some answers as to the possibilities of similar problems in Canadian vehicles with different part numbers.

Since no one at MB will help (or talk to me like an adult, for that matter,) has anyone else had problems with their HB in an 01 ML430 at around 74k? My part number is A 112 035 09 00. If I remember correctly, the campaign only included part numbers 06 & 00. I think it is strange, however, that I am experiencing failure at this point, as well.

If this is how MB treats their clients, then I'll reconsider my purchase next time. They need to realize that they aren't the only ones making decent vehicles. Or in some cases, not-so-decent ones.

P.S. This is how they passed me on from one division to another:

MBUSA told me that since I owned a Canadian-made vehicle, I needed to call MBCANADA. That seemed reasonable enough, so I obliged. However, MBCANADA told me that once a vehicle leaves Canadian borders for the States, all issues are deferred to MBUSA. So, I called MBUSA again and they told me, "There is nobody who can help you with your issue." I was stunned..."NOBODY?" I was sat speechless for second and thought to myself what would happen at my office if we told our clients that their issues were moot and that nobody could/would address them. I still can't believe what I heard.

Last edited by O Dogg; 11-01-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I doubt if your ML was assembled in Canada. Believe that all ML's including those for the Canadian market are assembled in Alabama. Best bet for you is to go to your dealer and have them fight the battle for you.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:34 AM

Oh, perhaps I just misunderstood. I just knew that the the vehicle was "Canadian." You think the dealership would go to bat for me considering that they really have nothing to gain?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by O Dogg
Oh, perhaps I just misunderstood. I just knew that the the vehicle was "Canadian." You think the dealership would go to bat for me considering that they really have nothing to gain?
Certainly they would if you do business with them. They want you to come back to them in the future. That is unless you have agravated them with unreasonable requests
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thats pretty interesting. Post your results. Try another dealer in your area and see what they have to say. It is my understanding that even if it is a "canadian car", it gets the same warranty except for no fss or roadside (something like that). But since you are out of warranty, that is an other question. By the way, the 09 00 part number is a "good number", but the good numbers even come apart. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:54 AM

I guess the "good part" vs. "bad part" analysis is what I am trying to figure out. When you say that "the good numbers even come apart," do you mean that from a normal usage standpoint or a defective component standpoint?

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problems with the same part number...