M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bad Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
Thumbs down Bad Dealer Experience

I went to my local dealer last week to get some info on some accessories, etc. I had been to this dealer a couple times for some minor problems on my old MB and at that time they were very uncooperative, but I thought maybe they had changed a bit over 5 or 6 years and maybe I would get different treatment because of having an '02, etc. - more expensive car, etc.

But I was wrong. I went to the Part department, and although I know it was probably a busy time for the guys there, the representative was totally unfriendly, grumpy, and refused to give me any useful information at all. I thought maybe the guy had had a bad day, but they were all like that.

Anyway, I picked up the little accessories booklet and asked him the prices, part #, etc. for some of the accessories. He then yelled that he did not have time for this nonsense (looking up prices and part numbers) and that he would fax me something later on. Then he said that according to MB Corporate Policy, customers are not supposed to receive part numbers from any source and that it is against some rule if they do.

A couple days later I got a sheet containing some prices and model names (like CGRILLE for the ML55 grill and COMP/GRILLE for the composite grille guard), which took me some time to interpret. Anyway, the part numbers were blacked out by pen and so was a lot more of the info (I couldn't make out what the headlines said).

The prices seemed way out of line, like $1095 for the composite grill guard, which I think MSRP's at around 800 I think (even the msrp is very expensive). Not that I was intending to buy the parts from this dealer anyway - I had wanted some info (like part #'s) which I didn't get.

The fax contained the prices for about 4 or 5 accessories and omitted the more important ones.

When I was at the dealer I had casually asked about the HID BiXenon headlights, applications of them, etc. The parts and service representatives seemed to think that HID's of any sort were illegal in the US by some federal law or something and said that no MB was or will be available with HID/BiXenon headlights as a factory or dealer-installed option.

Everyone at the dealer is extremely snobbish and even the salesmen act like some master talking to a slave.

I had wanted the numbers to get quotes from a friend who gets the parts from the factory and sells wholesale to dealers. He usually has really good deals on MB OEM parts and accessories.

Next time I'll stick to my other local dealer.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:06 AM

Ok, call me sucker as this could be a clever rouse for advertising that wholesale business. But hey, I'll bite. Are these parts genuine MB? Maybe you could give us his/her contact info. Everybody likes to save a little $$$. This friend of yours should have all the info you need if he/she sells to dealers. Also, if you're on the paying side of parts dept. counter, they should make time for you. They can't be too busy to make money. It's odd too that the service department wouldn't give you part numbers. That's stupid isn't it? When you buy the part, the part number is all over the box and the receipt. Ehh, go somewhere else. What dealer was this and where is it located?
Old 07-20-2002, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
I was just rereading my post- I know it might sound like an ad, but I'm not advertising for the guy - I just posted this because it happened to me last Monday. Anyway it was Rallye Motors in Roslyn, NY.

I'll try to dig up the number - I had it last year when I ordered some parts (running boards, grille, chrome rings, etc) for an ML of a relative, I'll post it when I find it again.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
Lightbulb

I've ordered parts for my ML and my other Mercedes automobiles for years from Phillips Automotives in Virginia Beach, Va. They are a Mercedes Dealer and I've found the prices to be so much less than my local dealer I often can't believe it. My local dealer is great in all aspects I just can't believe the markup they take on parts. Phillips has an 800# that I can't find right now but there regular number is 757-499-3771.

Their parts people are nice, helpful and knowledgeable. I usually get Malcom to help me.

Ron
Old 07-21-2002, 08:19 PM

'00 ML430 & '02 Porsche 996
I agree - it's largely how well your

dealer takes care of you.
There seems to be a type of dealer who is out to take you for every penny and doesn't seem to care about customer goodwill & repeat business.
These dealers will likely not even meet you half way or give any consideration to the time, trouble they've caused by their lack of ability.
Then there are the dealers who go the extra mile to make sure they keep their customers happy and as a result often earn repeat business.
Unfortunately, my original dealer (and alas the local MBUSA rep) fall into the former category.
My new dealer (MB of San Diego) so far seem a lot better and more customer orientated - but alas I'm still very unlikely to buy another MB product due to the underlying attitude of MB USA and their area reps.
Sad really as I consider I'm the type of customer they need, ie one who routinely buys premium auto's every 2 - 3 years....