M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Need help diagnosing a lack of throttle response after being stopped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help diagnosing a lack of throttle response after being stopped

The car: 2002 ML500, 92,000 miles.
Problem: Intermittantly after coming to a stop there is no response from the throttle pedal. The car idles fine, appears to be running fine, it just wont go when I press the accelerator pedal. One time the car almost stalled but recovered and then resumed normal operation. The throttle potentiometer has been replaced and the problem still exists... perhaps the mass airflow sensor? This happens usually when the engine is at proper operating temp and almost always from a stop. Check engine light comes on for a day or two then goes away. Im still under extended warranty (thank god!) and the dealer is having trouble finding the problem. Anybody ever have these symptoms before? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML500,2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2006 F150 King Ranch, Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja, 1978 Jeep CJ7
I would suspect the MAF sensor, since usually a CPS (crank position sensor) will make the thing just not run at all, especially if you shut it off and try and restart.I know on the ML320 the CPS is usually ready to change out at 90K, common problem.
Have you noticed a lack in fuel milage at all? A MAF will usually start giving you less miles per gallon. Is it actually stalling when you pull to a stop sign, or just not moving, revving up? The MAF will usually just kill the engine, wait 15 minutes, and away it goes until next time.If it's running and nit revving up when you push the gas, I would suspect more on the throttle positioner again.
Hope you get it!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by lookaught
The car: 2002 ML500, 92,000 miles.
Problem: Intermittantly after coming to a stop there is no response from the throttle pedal. The car idles fine, appears to be running fine, it just wont go when I press the accelerator pedal. One time the car almost stalled but recovered and then resumed normal operation. The throttle potentiometer has been replaced and the problem still exists... perhaps the mass airflow sensor? This happens usually when the engine is at proper operating temp and almost always from a stop. Check engine light comes on for a day or two then goes away. Im still under extended warranty (thank god!) and the dealer is having trouble finding the problem. Anybody ever have these symptoms before? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
Have the fault codes read. But the symtoms you describe makes me suspect a faulty Mass air flow sensor.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by WienerWater
I would suspect more on the throttle positioner again.
Hope you get it!
Throttle poteniometer was just replaced Monday and the car had the same problem that very evening. I suspect the MAS as well, and the codes have been read twice already however the tech (a friend of mine) said that the MAS sensor errors are not out of line enough to allow him to replace the sensor under Star warranty coverage. The dealer has my car again and are keeping it until it is sorted out (sweet Camry loaner! ). I actually have noticed a decline in fuel economy lately but I had suspected this was due to the drive to my new job involving a lot of hills and not much freeway.

Hopefully they will just replace the MAS and be done with it. It been to the shop three times so far and the claim was rejected once b/c of the lack of appropriate codes ($44 down the drain ) Maybe they will refund me that money once its fixed. The head service manager is driving the car now to feel the problem... im keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 02-24-2006, 12:35 PM

2002 ML500,2005 Toyota 4Runner, 2006 F150 King Ranch, Kawasaki ZX1400 Ninja, 1978 Jeep CJ7
The CPS will not usually throw a code, just stall and restart etc. The MAF will start doing wierd things, fuel milage, hard starts, stalling etc and just get slowly worse. As far as any parameters, I found Mecedes pretty cheap on any any of these parts, even though they are known issues for years, just trying to avoid the situation. My money is on the MAF, and if it solves the problem, maybe look for another shop (if possible) and see what they can do for you. I found all the shops are different, and you might get better service from another, freind or not. These are the most common and well known components to fail.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:37 PM

Well I just talked to the dealer and they are going to put in a MAF and give back the car to see if it solves the problem. I get the car back Monday so I guess I'll see if that does the trick next week.

the Camry passed 14,000 miles today. it sucks. shifts worse than my ml with 93,000.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 PM

2000 ML430
Well I just talked to the dealer and they are going to put in a MAF and give back the car to see if it solves the problem. I get the car back Monday so I guess I'll see if that does the trick next week.

the Camry passed 14,000 miles today. it sucks. shifts worse than my ml with 93,000.
So what was the outcome?????
Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM

A quick update for the archives of future searches:

The car was returned with a new MAF, intake gasket, and paper air filter to replace the K&N filter. Thus far there have been no problems and this appears to have resolved the issue. The decision to remove the K&N was made because in the past the oil from the filters have been known to sometimes cause MAF failures (like in my Audi, for example). The filter had been used for over 10,000 miles since I cleaned and reoiled it last and I dont think that this was the issue, however the service manager asked if I would remove it to test to see if the problem was resolved and I agreed. The intake gasket was not covered under warranty so I paid for the gasket and they installed it for free. At my request they also replaced the cabin air filter for free, I paid for the filter. It was disgustingly filthy. Hopefully this is the last problem that I have for a while....

Total Cost:
Throttle Potentiometer - Star extended warranty
MAF - Star extended warrany
Intake gasket - $4
Engine air filter - $16
Cabin air filter - $22
Rejected claim charge - $42
Total cost: $86
Old 03-06-2006, 02:30 PM

Rejected claim charge - $42
Total cost: $86
One more update, I just spoke with the service manager and he immediately agreed to refund my original rejection charge of $42. Great service from him and the Bobby Rahal Motorcar Company!

Total Cost: $44