M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Random Hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Random Hesitation

I am new in here, I am trying to help out my sister who owns a ML 320 1998 with around 120K miles.
The other day she was in the HWY, she pulled over to check something for a couple of minutes, when she got back in to the hwy the ML started to hesitate, she pressed the gas pedal all the way down and the feeling was as she was running out of gas she pulled over switched to Neutral still the feeling was the same she went back to the hwy running like that and suddenly the vehicle started running normal, then later came back with the same hesitation, it would go off for a while then come back.

She made it home, My dad was able to replicate the problem after taking off in a light he got that hesitation for no particular reason later then went back to normal.

Anyone has idea of what could be wrong? Is it expensive to fix?

I really appreciate your input on this one..
Thanks
Ed
Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
Originally Posted by totinsky
I am new in here, I am trying to help out my sister who owns a ML 320 1998 with around 120K miles.
The other day she was in the HWY, she pulled over to check something for a couple of minutes, when she got back in to the hwy the ML started to hesitate, she pressed the gas pedal all the way down and the feeling was as she was running out of gas she pulled over switched to Neutral still the feeling was the same she went back to the hwy running like that and suddenly the vehicle started running normal, then later came back with the same hesitation, it would go off for a while then come back.

She made it home, My dad was able to replicate the problem after taking off in a light he got that hesitation for no particular reason later then went back to normal.

Anyone has idea of what could be wrong? Is it expensive to fix?

I really appreciate your input on this one..
Thanks
Ed
Could be the fuel filter, or fuel pump going bad, or a defective Mass Air Flow sensor. If the check engine light is lit I would get the codes read and go from there. From experience the Check Engine light does not light when the fuel pump is at fault. I think it lights for the Mass Airflow sensor.