M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Repairing a DVD Unit Drive, will not allow disc to be inserted!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Repairing a DVD Unit Drive, will not allow disc to be inserted!

I just recieved my DVD Navigation Unit, if I dont get this refunded on ebay. How will I be able to repair this?

The follows errors:

- Does not allow you to insert a disc, it saystheres like a disc inside but there isn't.

- The MB Dealer hooked it up onto a computer and showed me the errors, it was like diff but similar errors like, Can not read disc, Cannot eject disc, and stuff like that

Will I be able to repair this just incase my dispute through paypal/ebay doesn't work? I purchased shipping insurance, so I dont know if that helps.

PS: Does anyone know where I can buy that special key that allows you to remove the MCS screen and slide it out. What is it called? How much will it cost at the dealer?

Last edited by Benzlova; 05-27-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:49 AM

1996 C36
Sorry to hear that your drive did not check out at the dealer. So did they install the drive or did they just bench test it? The keys to remove the MCS can be purchased on eBay, a stereo shop, or the dealer. In a pinch you can also cut up an old credit card to make some wedges that will work as well.

Here is a picture of the proper tool next to a credit card wedge

Here is a shot of the mechanism tha the wedge will be moving

Here is the wedge in the release slot "pulling" the lock tab inward

You will need o make two wedges to get the radio out and you will have to push them in with some force as you are working against some spring pressure and you are afterall using plastic to move metal. Good luck.

Last edited by mbsickness; 05-28-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Almost a Member!

They installed it, they inserted there own DVD to test it, but thats where we ran into the problem, it did not allow you to insert it.

Last edited by Benzlova; 05-28-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:39 PM

'11 C300
You can contact Alpine. They made these. Talk to them. From what I see on the Benz Forums IF they fix it it will cost you around $300. You bought insurance so they should pay for that if you don't get your money back. Oh yeah, I like the credit card trick. I used a finger nail file that fit in the slot perfectly. I just did one side at a time.