M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Will my Mercedes Warranty cover this? (URGENT PLZ!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will my Mercedes Warranty cover this? (URGENT PLZ!)

I bought a DVD Navigation Drive off ebay, and it was a faulty. It did not allow me to insert a disc inside the DVD Drive. I don't know what wrong with the drive, it just gave me errors of cannot read disk when I hooked it up to my MCS. Do you think if I take it to the Dealer service reception, will they fix it for me.

My situation is I filed a complaint through ebay, went through a claim. They require me to PROVE THAT THIS ITEM IS BROKEN. The only place I can think of is the Alpine Manufacturer. But the thing is paypal gave me no more than 10 days from June 20th, I have to send in a fax that states the damage and cost of how much the damage is. It will take time for alpine to recieve and exam the problem, and I dont know any local shops that will work on stuff like this. Instead of taking it to the dealer and getting them to give me a statement with the estimate/or replacing it or I take it to a like best buy or circuitcity.

PLEASE HELP URGENT!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
If the item you bought is faulty, initiate a complaint process via paypal...they usually favour the buyer over the seller (telling u this from experience) and no, I don't think you should bother your warranty to fix an faulty dvd navigation...send it back to who you bought it from for them to replace or refund.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
the dealer will fix it for you. at your cost. definitely not free. why should they? you bought it off ebay.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Not to start a moral fight here but.... If you have another dealer be sides the one you bought the car from, call them up and tell them your DVD nav isnt working.... You might possibly be able to get away with it as an item covered under warranty. If not then you still have your good relation at your original dealer...

^^^^^But that is just a suggestion not something I would necessarily do^^
Old 06-22-2006, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

he shouldnt do that. pay out of pocket. he got what he paid for.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
The dealer will not cover it under the factory warranty.

1. It's not OEM.
2. You bought it from a private party.
3. Dealer will immediately know it's not OEM factory installed, and you'll look silly when you attempt to argue your point.

Having said that, you should go to your local Service Advisor and see if they give you a price break on a new system, and you should trash the Alpine you bought from ebay.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by djamer
The dealer will not cover it under the factory warranty.

1. It's not OEM.
2. You bought it from a private party.
3. Dealer will immediately know it's not OEM factory installed, and you'll look silly when you attempt to argue your point.

Having said that, you should go to your local Service Advisor and see if they give you a price break on a new system, and you should trash the Alpine you bought from ebay.

woops I thought you got the OME nav my bad... My idea wont work. But I do know someone who installed an OME nav and the DVD reader went bad and the dealer replaced it under warranty.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Well first off my situation is that Paypal expects me to find a local store near me that will give me a price of the damage cost to proove that this item is faulty. I only have 10 says (Approx 6 days left), even if I sent it to Alpine right away, they would take time to go over it and everything.

PS: Pointman, im not trying to get away with anything. Im honest with my dealers and yes I have explained the whole truth to them. They told me not too worry about it because iv been a good customer for a while and as long as its OEM which it is. Anyhow whats with the attitude? What are you trying to prove, you were talking like this on my last thread too....

Last edited by Benzlova; 06-22-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
I'm surprised that Paypal is making you do that, usually they're very straight forward in their cases...

I have purchases items such as car parts, laptops and other electronics on ebay...when the item was defective, I just initiated a claim via paypal and they did the rest...

Did you contact the seller to let them know? Does the seller have many neg feedbacks?

And if your regular benz dealer is willing to overlook the fact that the DVD navigation system was not bought from dealership but was still willing to work it out with you, then go with them if you want...but I personally would send it back to the seller....
Old 06-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Benz_nut
I'm surprised that Paypal is making you do that, usually they're very straight forward in their cases...

I have purchases items such as car parts, laptops and other electronics on ebay...when the item was defective, I just initiated a claim via paypal and they did the rest...

Did you contact the seller to let them know? Does the seller have many neg feedbacks?

And if your regular benz dealer is willing to overlook the fact that the DVD navigation system was not bought from dealership but was still willing to work it out with you, then go with them if you want...but I personally would send it back to the seller....

Iv waited 2 weeks after purchase for the seller to respond. No Response. Then I make a dispute, no response for 14 days. When I file a claim the seller waited till the very last minute to make a statement (the seller has 1 day left to respond or its in my claim) but I didn't get to see what they said. Iv been waiting for quite sometime now, im going to see how this works out.

Paypal will cancel the claim after exactly 10 days.

PS: Im just going to take another shot at buy one off ebay again except one with good feedback and it gaurantee's it to work ($800 + Shipping).

Last edited by Benzlova; 06-22-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by Benzlova
Well first off my situation is that Paypal expects me to find a local store near me that will give me a price of the damage cost to proove that this item is faulty. I only have 10 says (Approx 6 days left), even if I sent it to Alpine right away, they would take time to go over it and everything.

PS: Pointman, im not trying to get away with anything. Im honest with my dealers and yes I have explained the whole truth to them. They told me not too worry about it because iv been a good customer for a while and as long as its OEM which it is. Anyhow whats with the attitude? What are you trying to prove, you were talking like this on my last thread too....

So why not just take it to any local electronics store to prove that it doesn't work? BestBuy and Circuit City come to mind. OR, just take it to you local Mb shop and explain to them what e-bay requires of you. They will surely write you a service order showing that it doesn't work and also how much it cost to replace with an equivalent OEM unit. I really don't see what the problem is, though I'm surprised at e-bay's request!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what attitude? you asked a question, i gave you an answer. i am sorry if you that i was having an attitude. next time i will hold your hand and tell you everything is alright.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by pointman
what attitude? you asked a question, i gave you an answer. i am sorry if you that i was having an attitude. next time i will hold your hand and tell you everything is alright.
Will you stay home and bake cookies with me?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
LMAO...
Old 06-23-2006, 12:40 AM

Ask your dealer to write a replacement quote

Benzlova, I had almost exactly the same thing happen when I bought my DVD nav some time ago - it would not accept the DVD and told me to insert a proper disc. The seller didn't dispute the sale but wanted me to ship my entire MCS back to them so they could test it - something I wasn't willing to do. I finally initiated a dispute, and Paypal also requested proof that the part was defective.

I took my car to my dealer, told them what the deal is and asked if they could look at it and write me a quote for a new one if it's faulty. A tech spent 5 minutes looking at it, spoke to the parts guy and they gave me (free of charge) a replacement quote stating that the unit I have is faulty and what a new drive costs. This was faxed to Paypal and they decided in my favor.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Will you stay home and bake cookies with me?
now thats just gay.