M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Changing High Beams

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
Changing High Beams

im looking to change the highbeams in my car i found these

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H1ST-...8&s=automotive

i just want to make sure these are the right ones.

i also saw these
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStar-H1S...8&s=automotive

on the sylvania site they said the second choice is the one but i think theyre the same. theres no compatability chart for the second one. there is for the first one but the ML isnt listed. any help would be great im trying to order these soon Thanks GUYS!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Riffyb
im looking to change the highbeams in my car i found these

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H1ST-...8&s=automotive

i just want to make sure these are the right ones.

i also saw these
http://www.amazon.com/SilverStar-H1S...8&s=automotive

on the sylvania site they said the second choice is the one but i think theyre the same. theres no compatability chart for the second one. there is for the first one but the ML isnt listed. any help would be great im trying to order these soon Thanks GUYS!
Dont waste your money just replace it with OEM. Best bet is to buy Xenon lights.. But why are you putting them in the high beam? Do you drive with your high beams on a lot?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 PM

i want to replace it with something better and brighter than OEM and yes... i do drive with them on alot becuase where i live there arent many street lights on these dark curvy roads. and the xenons SUCK im upgrading them to 6k it looks like its halogens for some reason.. i also need to lower one side it looks way to high any ideas on how to?... alsooo in the rain it really sucks so thats why im doing all of this
Old 09-07-2006, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
i want to replace it with something better and brighter than OEM and yes... i do drive with them on alot becuase where i live there arent many street lights on these dark curvy roads. and the xenons SUCK im upgrading them to 6k it looks like its halogens for some reason.. i also need to lower one side it looks way to high any ideas on how to?... alsooo in the rain it really sucks so thats why im doing all of this
Dont take this the wrong way but a lot of people think all the 02+ cars have xenon lights but they are really projector halogen. From what I have read the different type of halogen bulbs will only reduce visibility since they usually have a powered coat on the bulb that takes away the yellow spectrum in the light giving the appearance of a more white light but actually decreasing the visibility(consumer reports did a segment on this and I remember them saying silver star bulbs where worse than stock bulbs in the test car). The stock halogen lights on the ML suck but I have to say the xenon lights are like night and day on the ML when it comes to visibility. You also might want to look at a bull bar with lights, a member here a long time ago who lived up north (in canada if I remember right) had a bull bar with 2 or 3 supplementary halogen lights on it, you could also replace the fog lights with halogen projects which will be like adding 2 normal headlights from a 02+ ML, another thing I can think of is possibly adjusting the angle of the headlights and aim them up a tad. (I know its illegal but the main thing that affects light distance is not the power but the angle, stock they are of course pointed down and to the right to avoid blinding other drivers but a slight tilt up might help increase distance without blinding drivers.)
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Dont take this the wrong way but a lot of people think all the 02+ cars have xenon lights but they are really projector halogen. From what I have read the different type of halogen bulbs will only reduce visibility since they usually have a powered coat on the bulb that takes away the yellow spectrum in the light giving the appearance of a more white light but actually decreasing the visibility(consumer reports did a segment on this and I remember them saying silver star bulbs where worse than stock bulbs in the test car). The stock halogen lights on the ML suck but I have to say the xenon lights are like night and day on the ML when it comes to visibility. You also might want to look at a bull bar with lights, a member here a long time ago who lived up north (in canada if I remember right) had a bull bar with 2 or 3 supplementary halogen lights on it, you could also replace the fog lights with halogen projects which will be like adding 2 normal headlights from a 02+ ML, another thing I can think of is possibly adjusting the angle of the headlights and aim them up a tad. (I know its illegal but the main thing that affects light distance is not the power but the angle, stock they are of course pointed down and to the right to avoid blinding other drivers but a slight tilt up might help increase distance without blinding drivers.)

1. i have a 2000 ML and im very sure its xenons so no projectors here
2. im changing them to 6k philps by next week
3. how can i point these lights upwards?
4. i hate bull bars where can i get some halogen projects for the fogs.

and AndrewAZ thanks alot for all the help man.. its much apprecaited and i wanted to change the high beams but as ur saying silver star is not good.. so what would be a better choice
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
http://www.piaa.com/controller.php?a...BENZ&model=388

You most likely don't have xenons. I don't think they were offered on the 2000. There are little hex style, plastic adjustment screws on the lights themselves. Look at them from the top, you'll see them hiding on the top of the assembly.

and AndrewAZ thanks alot for all the help man.. its much apprecaited and i wanted to change the high beams but as ur saying silver star is not good.. so what would be a better choice
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
http://www.piaa.com/controller.php?a...BENZ&model=388

You most likely don't have xenons. I don't think they were offered on the 2000. There are little hex style, plastic adjustment screws on the lights themselves. Look at them from the top, you'll see them hiding on the top of the assembly.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:27 PM

are you honestly telling me what i dont have on my car? im very sure its xenons. i already got the bulb and changed it. i saw the ballast in the housing. so im pretty sure it was a xenon bulb.. but thanks for the help
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Actually no, I was agreeing with a poster before me. But if you do have xenons, and bi-xenons at that, god bless ya. The easiest way to find out, is to call MB parts, with your VIN, and tell them you are looking to replace the xenon bulbs in your truck. They'll tell you if they are xenons or bi-xenons in the case of the high beams. Or you can look at your window sticker, that will tell you.

are you honestly telling me what i dont have on my car? im very sure its xenons. i already got the bulb and changed it. i saw the ballast in the housing. so im pretty sure it was a xenon bulb.. but thanks for the help