M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Problems, Problems, and Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems, Problems, and Problems

I bring my 2000 ML 430 into the dealer for B-Service($500) and to have the engine light checked($125) and Electrical wiring checked($125). I had to rent a car because I didn't buy the car there so another $50 a day.

I get a call back around 5:00pm before they close and they tell me the B-service has been done and they performed the 2 checks. They tell me cylinder 1 has a misfire($310), washer tank has a crack($415), command unit is defective($2400), transmission electrical connect needs replacing($185). Not to mention front brakes and pads needs replacing($745). and they want to replace brake light for ($85). I was thinking the bill was going to be around $800-$900 but next thing I know he was quoting me $5000. Good thing they only performed the B-service and the 2 checks. I think that is 1/2 of what my car is worth.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Another fine example of the MB experience - like no other ;-)

I feel your pain, but you walked into a lions den - time to find a good indy mechanic or take care of some the easier stuff yourself.
Since my '00 ML430 finished it warranty the only time its been back to the dealer was for the harmonic balancer fix.
I take care of my own maintenance and when it's something beyond my ability I have a good indy take care of it.
So far I'm sticking to my word and not giving MB another single dollar after all the trouble I had with my ML for the first 45,000 miles or so.

FYI I have my own OBD code reader / data logger / reset device - cost me $140 but money well spent. Brake jobs are an easy DIY as is changing the washer resevior, oil, filters and spark plugs and coils etc.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 AM

2000 ML430
Originally Posted by timdf
I feel your pain, but you walked into a lions den - time to find a good indy mechanic or take care of some the easier stuff yourself.
Since my '00 ML430 finished it warranty the only time its been back to the dealer was for the harmonic balancer fix.
I take care of my own maintenance and when it's something beyond my ability I have a good indy take care of it.
So far I'm sticking to my word and not giving MB another single dollar after all the trouble I had with my ML for the first 45,000 miles or so.

FYI I have my own OBD code reader / data logger / reset device - cost me $140 but money well spent. Brake jobs are an easy DIY as is changing the washer resevior, oil, filters and spark plugs and coils etc.
I concur. If I cannot do it myself. I have my trusted mechanic repair my Benz. I try to stay away from the dealer like the plague
Old 09-13-2006, 10:01 AM

Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the boston area? I think I will need one for all my future repairs. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
Wow, the price quoted for brake pads alone is astronomical but you can DIY it.

You didn't mention how many miles you have on your vehicle, at this stage...if it's under 85k it's not too late to get some form of extended warranty...I've researched some and they give the basic bumper to bumper coverage as you would have if you purchased your truck brand new from show room...as well as other premium coverages...on average, you're looking at $1-2 for the warranty, paid over the period you select...but the great thing is when you take it into the dealership...all you pay is deductible (if any) which can range from $0-$200...so no labor cost, no diagnostics and no outrageous charges...beat that!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:09 PM

I don't believe that the ML has only 75,000 miles and all these problems. Will the ext warranty cover the defective command center? It is actually not defective but does not shut off correctly therefore sucking the life out of the battery hence the battery drain. The sales rep said that if you just shut off the car without turning off the power then it seems fine. But if I power off then shut off the ML then the command center seems to keep running as if it was still on.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Where in MA are you located? Inside the city or outside? There's a really good place in Wayland, right on Rt 20. Heritage Motor Werks services MB, Bently and other high end cars. They're good at what they do, rates are resonable (much better than the dealer). They hire techs that have worked for MB so they're knowledgeable.

Like service A costs about $100, service B costs about $200-250. Check them out Ken is the service manager, he usually takes care of service calls. Its a small place :p

http://www.heritagemotorwerks.com
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Thanks GDawg. I took my ML to Clair in Westwood. I will definetly check out Heritage Motors. How did you get that pic? Is that BHCC in the background?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
No problem.

Ah yes, Clair. We've bought all our cars from them...though haven't been to the new MB yet for service. My parent's cars ran out of warranty before they moved so they've been going to Heritage. I hear their MB service is kinda crappy. I go to Clair Audi across the street :p

That was taken under Rt 95 next to the Zakim bridge. It's the entrance to Boston sand & gravel co. It was a sunday so no workers were there, otherwise I don't think you're suppose to be there, whoops
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM

'03 E39 530I
Those are ridiculous prices! Find an honest mechanic and those problems can be fixed at fraction of the dealer quote.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
Originally Posted by wfung
I don't believe that the ML has only 75,000 miles and all these problems. Will the ext warranty cover the defective command center? It is actually not defective but does not shut off correctly therefore sucking the life out of the battery hence the battery drain. The sales rep said that if you just shut off the car without turning off the power then it seems fine. But if I power off then shut off the ML then the command center seems to keep running as if it was still on.
Depending on the warranty company you go with, YES. I'm with Easycare and have the TOTAL coverage...my command unit went out about a year ago and the dealership quoted the same price they gave you to replace it. My had stopped working with the keys...they replaced it and I only paid my deductible along with some other stuff...so I had some $3k worth of work done and only paid my $200 deductible.

Most the other stuff you quoted were minor though, like brakes, washer tank you can do those yourself...

I'm also surprised that they made you pay for a loaner??? I always get a free one out here...does it matter whether you bought yours new or not? I didn't buy mines news but everytime I bring it in for service I always come out with a '06 c class loaner or their '05 MLs....
Old 09-14-2006, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Dealer loaners are independent of the dealer themselves. MBUSA does not regulate or mandate that dealers provide a loaner to customers, whether they bought the car from them or not.

You're lucky that they provide you a loaner all the time whereas other people may never get a loaner at all, even if they bought the car from the servicing dealer!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
Dealer loaners are independent of the dealer themselves. MBUSA does not regulate or mandate that dealers provide a loaner to customers, whether they bought the car from them or not.

You're lucky that they provide you a loaner all the time whereas other people may never get a loaner at all, even if they bought the car from the servicing dealer!
Wow, I'm glad I take mine out here to the MB of Wesmont in IL...they have over 200 loaners...free of charge.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I bring my 2000 ML 430 into the dealer for B-Service($500) and to have the engine light checked($125) and Electrical wiring checked($125). I had to rent a car because I didn't buy the car there so another $50 a day.

I get a call back around 5:00pm before they close and they tell me the B-service has been done and they performed the 2 checks. They tell me cylinder 1 has a misfire($310), washer tank has a crack($415), command unit is defective($2400), transmission electrical connect needs replacing($185). Not to mention front brakes and pads needs replacing($745). and they want to replace brake light for ($85). I was thinking the bill was going to be around $800-$900 but next thing I know he was quoting me $5000. Good thing they only performed the B-service and the 2 checks. I think that is 1/2 of what my car is worth.
This is a 7 year old car. Its obvious that the previous owners did little if any maintenence. You purchased from a non MB dealer who knew little if anything about the ML and cared less. Bet you were attracted due to price. Its always pay me now or pay me later. You learned a lesson.....maybe.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:10 PM

'99 ML430, '90 LS400, '01 V70 T5, '87 300E (gone), '92 300CE (gone)
Originally Posted by timdf

Nice to see someone else has the same opinions as me. As I tell my friends :"If see one of these for sale on the side of the road for $100, keep driving". Only way you can enjoy owning an "out warranty" ML is if you either have very very deep pockets and are will to put up with lousy dealer service, or if you are willing and know how to work on it yourself (me).
Old 09-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML270
Originally Posted by Taz777
Nice to see someone else has the same opinions as me. As I tell my friends :"If see one of these for sale on the side of the road for $100, keep driving". Only way you can enjoy owning an "out warranty" ML is if you either have very very deep pockets and are will to put up with lousy dealer service, or if you are willing and know how to work on it yourself (me).
Not all dealers are created equal and if you are lucky to find a decent Service Advisor then the dealer experience can be OK; I have deserted our local dealer because the next one offers parts at either 10% or 20% discount (I have forgotten which) and charge 10% less for labour because my ML is more than 4 years old, plus the fact that the nearest dealer is incompetent.

I find that working on the vehicle itself is quite fun, the brakes are well designed and easy to do, also I would not hesitate to do other stuff that is documented here and elsewhere, the ML community are very helpful and have made owning an ML a far more pleasant experience than it otherwise might have been.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
wow, my 03 ML500 has been also giving me problems, but just minor ones. but one thing is that the fog lights keep dying out. car has 39,000 and by June warranty is over. I hope theres not as much problems. kuz no way $5000 is gonna come out of my pocket!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
All these parts you can find, and install yourself, if your handy. The command unit can be found on ebay for less than 1000, or you can upgrade to an Alpine or Pioneer full screen unit for around the same, 1000 or so. Electrical wiring check? What were they checking? To see if it was still there? C'mon.. Renting a car, you'll most likely have to do, depending on the dealer. Brakes, you'll have to do, but that price is about 200 too much. The misfire I would get a second opinion. Get it fixed if it is really misfiring. You will hear it in the engine if it is firing incorrectly. Don't mess with the cyclinders, it will damage the walls. Washer tanks can be found at junk yards and replaced by you.

Bottom line, sounds like they were preying on you... Take a look around first.